Windows 10: File type associated with App

Discus and support File type associated with App in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ray282828, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Ray282828 Win User

File type associated with App

I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare occurred - I could not double click the selected file and open it with the App. Instead, I have to open the App first and then use Open to select the file to be opened. I have no idea what I did incorrectly. Can someone give me guidance to restore the useful feature to double click the selected file and open it together with the App. Thanks!

:)

Ray282828, Feb 18, 2019
  2. jimcburke Win User

How do I associate file types with non Microsoft programs?

The application I want to use does not show up in the list. in fact a lot of my apps don't show up in the list. the system then suggest going to the app store and apparently forgets it is trying to find an app to associate with the file type.

jimcburke, Feb 18, 2019
  3. CherylA Win User
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Feb 18, 2019
  4. mandala Win User

File Type php Missing in Windows File Association Settings

I would like to associate the php file format with a text editor utility such as Sublime Text. When I attempt to "always open file type with Sublime Text" via the context menu in Windows Explorer, it does not work. When I open Settings > Default Apps > Choose Default Apps by file type, the php file format appears to be missing from the list - see screenshot. I expected it to be listed below the .php3 file type.

On a related note, I was also unable to associate the css and html file types with Sublime Text (or any other software) via Windows Explorer. I was able to work around this by using the FileTypesMan utility. However, the FileTypesMan utility is not able to associate php files either. Please advise. TIA.

mandala, Feb 18, 2019
Thema:

1. File type associated with App - Similar Threads - File type associated

2. Adding a file type for file association with IDLE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a file type for file association with IDLE: How can I add a file type to associate a file type with IDLE from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** on Windows 11.I wish to associate .py with idle. I cannot find either the program or the file type in the settings panels.Dave...
  3. Adding a file type for file association with IDLE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a file type for file association with IDLE: How can I add a file type to associate a file type with IDLE from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** on Windows 11.I wish to associate .py with idle. I cannot find either the program or the file type in the settings panels.Dave...
  4. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  5. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  6. default file type association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  7. File type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    File type association: I accidentally assigned a .laz extension to be opened automatically with Adobe. When I try to go to the default settings to remove the association I only get the option of associating with another app. How can I remove this entirely or restore it back to were I get a prompt...
  8. Associating applications with file types

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Associating applications with file types: I have two applications that will open a particular file type- an older and a newer application. Files tend to open with the older, less useful application; to get the newer app with the better functionality I need to Right-click the file and select "Open With" from the...
  9. Default file type association

Default file type association: Hi! On Win 10 I want to change default file extension association to an exe file, but the system doesn't allow it. It happens with other extensions and programs too, but now specifically I wanted to associate the standalone version of flash player to .swf extension. It...
  10. 'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...

'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...: I previously asked a similar question before realizing the scale of the problem. I am running Windows 10 Home on a Surface Go. That is, I have successfully disabled S mode. I cannot set a default app unless it is 'Microsoft recommended' for a file type or protocol. An...