Windows 10: File type change issue - win10

Discus and support File type change issue - win10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I double-clicked on this file: Karen 05.FAB. This action should have sent the file to the cloud and pasted a picture of a fabric inside a program. That... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sasha100, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Sasha100 Win User

File type change issue - win10

I double-clicked on this file: Karen 05.FAB. This action should have sent the file to the cloud and pasted a picture of a fabric inside a program. That did not happen this time. The action successfully did the correct thing several times prior to this, so I assume I pressed the wrong key or something. What did happen was the box in front of the file was changed to the profile for Adobe Photoshop: Karen 05. (Picture a colored Photoshop emblem in that blank square). Plus, all the files on my laptop that had a blank box in front of the file have now been changed to the Photoshop box.
    If I put those file on a stick and load them on another computer they appear blank again. However, I need these files on the original laptop where the quilting program resides. I cannot figure out how to change these files back to blank. By the way, I cannot use the open with tool as the quilting program that I use is not available for that use. Can anyone please help?

:)

Sasha100, Jun 7, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

File type change issue - win10 [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Bree, Jun 7, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    How to change default app for file type

@Bree - yes, I'm quite aware of this thanks, but as you will see it's missing. I recall reading that clicking the dialogue at a certain point in blank space made it appear, and trying that once successfully, but doesn't seem to help now. Plenty of other similar reports of this option being missing.

'Fix' described here: (essentially unassociate the extension)
    Windows 10 "Always use this app" checkbox missing - Super User

dalchina, Jun 7, 2020
  4. File type change issue - win10

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

File type change issue - win10

1. File type change issue - win10 - Similar Threads - File type change

2. Download file type change issue from one site

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download file type change issue from one site: HiRecently i got this problem where i download jpg files to view on Photos but end up with a different file type like WordPad or Chrome and only from this website, other sites downloaded files have the normal jpg files.I try to change file type using 'Open with' but I can't...
  3. latest Win10 Update changed license type

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    latest Win10 Update changed license type: Good morning,We bought an Asus x540ua-db51 laptop in December 2018 from amazon for my mother and this week after windows 10 update, the laptop states the Windows isn't Genuine, when I went to reactivate it it stated that it detected a License Key for Home or familly windows...
  4. latest Win10 Update changed license type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    latest Win10 Update changed license type: Good morning,We bought an Asus x540ua-db51 laptop in December 2018 from amazon for my mother and this week after windows 10 update, the laptop states the Windows isn't Genuine, when I went to reactivate it it stated that it detected a License Key for Home or familly windows...
  5. latest Win10 Update changed license type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Changing the file type assocation for a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing the file type assocation for a file: Hi! I've been trying to get rid of Notepad++ as my automatic JSON file launcher thingy but I haven't been able to even after resetting to the defaults. I've tried many solutions I've seen on here but nothing seems to work. I've even deleted Notepad++ but it's not working, and...
  7. Account Type changing issue

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Account Type changing issue: I want to change my account to Standard type but the option is disabled . What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-type-changing-issue/26782d3d-2cc3-4a00-b1de-f6cab082c27b
  8. File type change issue - win10

in Windows 10 Support
    File type change issue - win10: I double-clicked on this file: Karen 05.FAB. This action should have sent the file to the cloud and pasted a picture of a fabric inside a program. That did not happen this time. The action successfully did the correct thing several times prior to this, so I assume I pressed...
  9. Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to...: I have set Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as my default app for file type .PDF using windows system settings. This functions properly for a few hours, then windows automatically resets the default app for PDF files to Microsoft Edge. I really prefer Acrobat and it is very annoying...
  10. change file type

in Windows 10 Support
    change file type: I was looking through a file within the file called" Windows8 OS". The file was called "Microsoft.SqlServer.Compact.400.32" and it was a "LFL" file type. In trying to open it I inadvertently changed it to a "BC" file type. Question, how do I change it back to it's...