Windows 10: File type search?

Discus and support File type search? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jmdraft, Mar 14, 2016.

1. jmdraft Win User

File type search?

Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may know that I created a Word doc about something a long while ago e.g. a year, but I don’t remember the name of it, and where I saved it (in which folder). If I could see all the Word docs on the computer, I would probably recognize the name of the one I’m looking for. Is there a way to do this and, if so, what criteria would I enter in the search?
    Also, where would be best to ask this question e.g. OS, hardware, drivers………….?
    File type search? [​IMG]

:)

jmdraft, Mar 14, 2016
  2. JoanL. Win User

can you convert .jpg file type to a .jpeg file type

What got messed up was this: I selected Photos as my Photo Viewer

Under Associations

.jpeg Photos was selected

.jpg Photos was selected (I changed this to Paint when I was trying to open a .mix file

then when I looked in default apps Photo viewer, my selection of Photos reverted to

+ select and I has to change it back to Photos.

I did this before you answered.

After your answer above I did this :Try right-clicking a file that should open in
    Photos and click Open with -> Choose another app. Select the
    Photos app, tick Always use this app to open * files, and click [OK.

I have also discovered that a snip has to be .jpg not .jepg in order to upload.

Thanks for your help.

JoanL., Mar 14, 2016
  3. Linney Win User
    can you convert .jpg file type to a .jpeg file type

What if you right-click on the photo file and select the "Open with" option, and then choose the Default App option, and then select "Photo", or whatever program you mean to always open that type of file?

You can also look here, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs

See also, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\ Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Here you can set options for .jpeg, or .jpg.

Linney, Mar 14, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

File type search?

ARC1020, Mar 14, 2016
Thema:

File type search?

1. File type search? - Similar Threads - File type search

2. Start menus & type to search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menus & type to search: Thought I would show what Win10 Start menus can be (& do, soon*). The content is a wee bit different because, one is 1903 & the other is the latest Fast Track Insider Build. *With the IB can see Start typing to search. This reminds of Win8 when one could just type 'in...
  3. recursively search C: for specific file-type type then copy w/Path

in Windows 10 Support
    recursively search C: for specific file-type type then copy w/Path: Pretty much what it says in the Header. I am sure this can be done using the correct switched in several tools like robocopy or even X-Copy but so far copying the file including its full path to another location is not working properly for me. I think i have the recursive...
  4. "Type here to search"

in Cortana
    "Type here to search": I cannot access this tab. It isn't working. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/type-here-to-search/19a9d6fe-7e9b-4e45-a87b-b5b6934d11b9"
  5. File Extension and file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Extension and file type: Recently I came to know the in some directories, all my file type and extension are changed to CAAVME File (.caavme). When I open, its not opening. There is a file in every directory with the name "CAAVME-DECRYPT" and it contents: ---= GANDCRAB V5.0.4 =---...
  6. Randomly unable to type in search bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Randomly unable to type in search bar: I have read many posts on how to fix this problem, but it always happens again. Why has MS not fixed this and is there any way to resolve this annoying problem? I use remote desktop often and it also affects being able to log in using RDP. Any help would be greatly...
  7. Searching for file types in WIN 10

in Cortana
    Searching for file types in WIN 10: Win XP had 'search for photos, images' or 'search documents' options in search dialogue. No such options in Win 10? how to search for a type of files in Win 10?...
  8. Cortana freezes when typing in a search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana freezes when typing in a search: I'm having a fun problem on my shiny new Win 10 machine. Cortana freezes when I start to type in the search box. Is there 1) a way to actually fix this? I've looked all over web and I don't see anything definitive or 2) is there a way to replace Cortana? I'm not...
  9. Exclude "file type" from search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude "file type" from search: I need to find all the files that contain the word "word" in them. When I try to search in File Explorer, I get all the files that are Microsoft Word files. How do I search for matches on only content within the file? I need to find all the files that contain the word...
  10. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files: Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the "File Type" of "Opera Web...