Windows 10: File type search?

Discus and support File type search? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jmdraft, Mar 14, 2016.

1. jmdraft Win User

File type search?

Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may know that I created a Word doc about something a long while ago e.g. a year, but I don’t remember the name of it, and where I saved it (in which folder). If I could see all the Word docs on the computer, I would probably recognize the name of the one I’m looking for. Is there a way to do this and, if so, what criteria would I enter in the search?
    Also, where would be best to ask this question e.g. OS, hardware, drivers………….?
    File type search? [​IMG]

:)

jmdraft, Mar 14, 2016
  2. JoanL. Win User

can you convert .jpg file type to a .jpeg file type

What got messed up was this: I selected Photos as my Photo Viewer

Under Associations

.jpeg Photos was selected

.jpg Photos was selected (I changed this to Paint when I was trying to open a .mix file

then when I looked in default apps Photo viewer, my selection of Photos reverted to

+ select and I has to change it back to Photos.

I did this before you answered.

After your answer above I did this :Try right-clicking a file that should open in
    Photos and click Open with -> Choose another app. Select the
    Photos app, tick Always use this app to open * files, and click [OK.

I have also discovered that a snip has to be .jpg not .jepg in order to upload.

Thanks for your help.

JoanL., Mar 14, 2016
  3. Linney Win User
    can you convert .jpg file type to a .jpeg file type

What if you right-click on the photo file and select the "Open with" option, and then choose the Default App option, and then select "Photo", or whatever program you mean to always open that type of file?

You can also look here, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs

See also, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\ Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Here you can set options for .jpeg, or .jpg.

Linney, Mar 14, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

File type search?

ARC1020, Mar 14, 2016
Thema:

File type search?

1. File type search? - Similar Threads - File type search

2. searching file by date it was saved or type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    searching file by date it was saved or type: I need to find a file which was recorded and saved in Windows Player format. Issue is that I replaced it from videos folder in my File explorer to a place unknown to me. The only thing I know is that it was saved 30.11.23 date. Please help me! This information is critically...
  3. searching file by date it was saved or type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    searching file by date it was saved or type: I need to find a file which was recorded and saved in Windows Player format. Issue is that I replaced it from videos folder in my File explorer to a place unknown to me. The only thing I know is that it was saved 30.11.23 date. Please help me! This information is critically...
  4. searching file by date it was saved or type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. type to search not working can not type in type to search

in Cortana
    type to search not working can not type in type to search: It randomly happened that i couldn't type in type to search bar and i tried doing sfc /scannow and it said some fiels are corruptedand said it repaired them but it didn't....
  6. File Explorer Search While Typing

File Explorer Search While Typing: Hello, I have recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 10. On this laptop's version of Windows 10, File Explorer does not search while I type my search request, unlike on my old laptop's probably seriously out-of-date version. I would like File Explorer to search while...
  7. Quick Search by typing file name

Quick Search by typing file name: Hello I'm having issues when looking for a specif file inside a folder. Normally when you type the name of the file not in the search bar on top it goes over all the files that contain the characters you are typing until it reaches the one you were looking for, well when I...
  8. search in Explore File by type automaticlly

search in Explore File by type automaticlly: Hi , i dont know why but something happend and its didnt work i want when im search in Explore File its show results only by type without enter i mean even u type 1 key its start search automatic. if have someone have idea how fix that ?...
  9. Searching for file types in WIN 10

in Cortana
    Searching for file types in WIN 10: Win XP had 'search for photos, images' or 'search documents' options in search dialogue. No such options in Win 10? how to search for a type of files in Win 10?...
  10. Exclude "file type" from search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude "file type" from search: I need to find all the files that contain the word "word" in them. When I try to search in File Explorer, I get all the files that are Microsoft Word files. How do I search for matches on only content within the file? I need to find all the files that contain the word...