Windows 10: file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I...

Discus and support file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I convert spreadsheet files from Windows Media type back to Excell so I can open them?????... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ArdenWrisley1, Nov 11, 2021.

1. file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I...

How do I convert spreadsheet files from Windows Media type back to Excell so I can open them?????

:)

ArdenWrisley1, Nov 11, 2021
  2. Yaqub K Win User

windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Nov 11, 2021
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Broken Windows Media Player

Hi,

Have you tried running the troubleshooter for WMP? If not, we suggest that you try to run the troubleshooter and
    see if it helps. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on
      Programs.

• Under
      Media
      Player, click on
      Windows Media Player Settings
      and
      Windows Media Player Library.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 11, 2021
  4. file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I...

Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list in Windows 10

I know, this question was asked many times, but there is still no answer that can actually solve the problem. There are steps to get the WMP in Windows Optional Features, install it if missing, etc. - I did all that, and now WMP runs and plays media files. However, there is no way in Windows 10 to set it as a Default App to play media file types.

• Go to "Default apps" > "Music Player" > "Choose Default" - WMP is not there.
    • "Choose default apps by file type" > ".mp3" > "Choose a default" - WMP is not there.
    • "Set Defaults by app" > Windows Media Player is here! > select "Manage" > find ".mp3" > "Choose a default" - the only choice is "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store".

After a long time spent searching I found this article: How to make any program the default on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

Apparently after 1803 you are supposed to use hackers tools to set the Microsoft's own Windows Media Player as default. I used FileTypesMan as was suggested in the article, but when I try to change assignments for .mp3 files, I get "Error 5: Access is denied" from the tool. Also, if I right-click on an .mp3 file and select "Open with..." it still suggests me to go to Microsoft Store, open with Notepad, Paint, Word, but not Windows Media Player.

What is the proper way to make WMP the default media player, so it shows up in the Default apps list?

sun2sirius, Nov 11, 2021
Thema:

file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I...

1. file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I... - Similar Threads - file type why

2. Excell files vs Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excell files vs Windows Media Player: John Dev - Thank you. It worked. Now my files show xlxs as the file type instead of Windows Media Player. Unfortunately I had previously uploaded my spreadsheet files to One Drive in Windows 10. This was to protect them from the wrong eyes supposedly. Now when I try to open a...
  3. Excell files vs Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excell files vs Windows Media Player: John Dev - Thank you. It worked. Now my files show xlxs as the file type instead of Windows Media Player. Unfortunately I had previously uploaded my spreadsheet files to One Drive in Windows 10. This was to protect them from the wrong eyes supposedly. Now when I try to open a...
  4. Excell files vs Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I...: How do I convert spreadsheet files from Windows Media type back to Excell so I can open them????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-type-why-do-all-my-excell-spreadsheets-show/02f1cb73-1420-477d-b3d7-d0fa96cd4aeb
  6. file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I...

file type - why do all my Excell spreadsheets show Windows Media Player and how do I...: How do I convert spreadsheet files from Windows Media type back to Excell so I can open them????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-type-why-do-all-my-excell-spreadsheets-show/02f1cb73-1420-477d-b3d7-d0fa96cd4aeb
  7. how do i reinstall my windows media player

how do i reinstall my windows media player: how do i reinstall my windows media player, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reinstall-my-windows-media-player/fb39b428-afbf-4986-b272-e22224140296
  8. how do i download media player..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i download media player..: how do i download media player.. i deleted it because it wasnt working right https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-download-media-player/1e67b6e8-dcd9-42c1-bb67-a5f6f639c5f2
  9. HELP!!! How do I recover a deleted Excel spreadsheet?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP!!! How do I recover a deleted Excel spreadsheet?: Do we still have a file that holds deleted items until the computer is shut down? If not, how can I recover a deleted excel spreadsheet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-how-do-i-recover-a-deleted-excel-spreadsheet/74a05e2e-07bb-496f-81e7-19dd6f9c714e
  10. how do i sync my zune player to windows media player

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i sync my zune player to windows media player: how do i sync my zune player to windows media player https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-sync-my-zune-player-to-windows-media/ded05875-2c0c-45a6-a65e-bef74b190e81