Windows 10: File types make win10 act like win7/8.

Discus and support File types make win10 act like win7/8. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there anyway to make file types act more like Win7/8? I am getting tired of setting media file types when the program(winamp,MPC,ect) use to set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ZippyDSMlee, Jun 6, 2017.

1. File types make win10 act like win7/8.

Is there anyway to make file types act more like Win7/8? I am getting tired of setting media file types when the program(winamp,MPC,ect) use to set them fine in admin mode...when you are dealing with dozens of file types do anything manually is a pain.

Some file types will stick, some won't so you have to set them per file type, some ask to change the default icon its a mess.... is there an all in one fix or we basically at M$'s whims on this?

Or do programs like media player classic, ect need to update to the new file type setup? I'd rather revert it than wait on program updates but i do not think there's an option for that...

:)

ZippyDSMlee, Jun 6, 2017

2. Win 10 - How to download mp3 file to a selected folder

I upgraded to Win10 8-3-15 from Win7. With Win7 I had a desktop folder that I downloaded podcasts to (.mp3 files).

With Win10, how can I download an mp3 file? Right-click doesn't provide that option. A "podcast" link seems to be treated like a gif file. I used this feature all of the time to save talk radio programs to listen to later or load onto my mp3 player.

southisnorth, Jun 6, 2017
  3. Jason[MS] Win User
    Did a clean install and now have to activate, but cannot.

This is expected behavior. Win10 uses different licensing than Win7 and Win8. For a user who is on Win7 or 8, and upgrades to Win10, their license key is converted and allows for Win10 to install an activate.

Doing a clean install of Win10 from ISO will require a Win10 license.

To resolve this situation without buying a Win10 license, you'll need to reinstall your original OS (7 or 8), make sure you have activated, and then use the ISO to do an in-place upgrade (NOT clean flash!!!!) to move to Win10. At that point, make sure
    your Microsoft Account is attached to your machine and you'll be good to activate for Win10.

- Jason

Jason[MS], Jun 6, 2017
  4. File types make win10 act like win7/8.

Hi ZippyDSMlee.

This may not be the right answer but I'll take a shot.

If you go into setting, the looks for Apps. In the Creators Update it has it own box. In Anniversary it is with System.

Click on Default apps, then on the right scroll all the way to bottom and click on Set defaults by app.

When this window open select the app you want to set on left and then over on the lower right you have two options.

Set this program as default - all possible file types that could be owned by program are assigned to this program.

or

Choose defaults for this program - this opens a window of all possible file types that could be assigned but lets you selective pick and choose.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 6, 2017
Thema:

File types make win10 act like win7/8.

1. File types make win10 act like win7/8. - Similar Threads - File types win10

2. Make windows 10 act and look like windows 7.....How?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Make windows 10 act and look like windows 7.....How?: Yes, From everyones experience what would be the best way to make windows 10 look and act like windows 7? thx. windows 10 version: 18363.628 149842
  3. [Help] Make win10 notifications like win7

in Windows 10 Support
    [Help] Make win10 notifications like win7: I want to make windows 10 show notifications, specifically from the app Discord, in a windows 7 like manner. What happen is that only one notification will show up in a pop up above the clock, any subsequent notification will only appear if either I click one the previous one...
  4. Upgrade win7 to win10,

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  5. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  6. How to make Windows act like an OS and not like a nanny? Problem connecting to a resource...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to make Windows act like an OS and not like a nanny? Problem connecting to a resource...: Dear Microsoft You have been making my life more and more complicated with every other major update. I'd very much like to ask you to add an option to use your OS like an OS instead of a web-client. I didn't purchase Win 10 Pro Licenses to be hampered by my own OS....
  7. How to make Win10 Pro act more like Enterprise when disabling UAC?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to make Win10 Pro act more like Enterprise when disabling UAC?: Windows 7 Pro & Enterprise were very closely related, however, with Windows 10 Microsoft are clearly separating the two and suspect Home & Pro may merger at some point. Disabling UAC in Windows Pro used to run applications like Command Prompt as an elevated user...
  8. after the win7 to win10

after the win7 to win10: I see where everyone is talking about the oldwindows.folder, I don't have or have never seen it but I do have this "windowss7_os(C:)" that is part of my index under this pc. I had for the longest time 2 document folders. I did a search for the oldwindows.folder and the...
  9. Win7 games on Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 games on Win10: A while ago I installed Win7 games on Win10 using msgames_win8_x64.msi as mentioned in thread Hearts and Solitaire Games in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I wondered if this was legal but did it anyway. Installing the TH2 update removed the games. I installed them again, but...
  10. Win7 to Win10 Possibilities?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win7 to Win10 Possibilities?: Anyone exploring the possibilities of moving from Win7 to Win10 upon release. Anyone with experience with Win10 can share insights for Win7 users - probably done before, but haven't seen much lately (mainly just Win8 to Win10). Thanks 3589