Windows 10: File will not delete

Discus and support File will not delete in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have an image in a folder that apparently was corrupt, but now is just a file with no extension that refuses to be found or deleted. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Velhans, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Velhans Win User

File will not delete

Hello, I have an image in a folder that apparently was corrupt, but now is just a file with no extension that refuses to be found or deleted. The actual error is "Could not find this item. Verify the item's location and try again."

I've ran into these before on previous versions of Windows, usually a file that has too long of a name or so it says but basically is just a corrupted file and I use WinRAR rename the file and delete it. But this file in particular I cannot get rid of. It was originally a jpeg, and when I went to rename it for deletion the file then became a blank file, no extension just a letter I put for the name. The file cannot be found by anything it seems, even the command prompt method of deletion gives me the same message. "Could not find this item. Verify the location." Which is weird because the command prompt does show the file in the directory but gives me that error when I try to delete it. So now I'm stuck with a folder on my desktop which I can't move or delete, any ideas?

Also the file persists after multiple shutdowns and startups.

:)

Velhans, Sep 12, 2015
  2. HairyFool Win User

User File will not delete

Right click Start and select Computer Management. Under System Tools you should find Local Users and Groups with 2 folders. Double click Users and paste the result on here.

The Settings, Accounts tool is a management screen but the user as a security unit has to be listed here so the question is how many of you are there?

HairyFool, Sep 12, 2015
  3. User File will not delete

I do not see 3 accounts. Are you referring to your Thumbnail pics which are not various accounts but various thumbnails you've chosen in the past for your own account which has its own page there?

As to the test account, it may be listed under Family and Other People for you to highlight and Delete there. This is how accounts are deleted, never in File Explorer which is only a reflection of what is managed in Account settings.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know what you find.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 12, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

File will not delete

Hi, have you tried chkdsk /r?

dalchina, Sep 12, 2015
  5. Have you tried CCleaner uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller I have got rid of a lot of dead limks and folders with both of them

hTconeM9user, Sep 12, 2015
  6. Delete it,while booting in safe mode.

proudtobegreek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File will not delete

1. File will not delete - Similar Threads - File delete

2. Just deleted a bunch of useless files in my downloads folder and now the some of my icons...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just deleted a bunch of useless files in my downloads folder and now the some of my icons...: Just recently, I took the time to declutter my downloads folder by deleting a bunch of unnecessary files. However, it seems that as a consequence, some of my icons’ textures have gone missing. Now I’m wondering what steps I should take to address this issue....
  3. Just deleted a bunch of useless files in my downloads folder and now the some of my icons...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Just deleted a bunch of useless files in my downloads folder and now the some of my icons...: Just recently, I took the time to declutter my downloads folder by deleting a bunch of unnecessary files. However, it seems that as a consequence, some of my icons’ textures have gone missing. Now I’m wondering what steps I should take to address this issue....
  4. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?: I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen caPCNA in various stages and types of neoplasia breast, cervix, colon, gastric, lung, ovary, thyroid, and uterus _ Cancer...
  5. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?: I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen caPCNA in various stages and types of neoplasia breast, cervix, colon, gastric, lung, ovary, thyroid, and uterus _ Cancer...
  6. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

7. CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal file taking up all of my hard drive space - how do I delete...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal file taking up all of my hard drive space - how do I delete...: There is a single file called CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal taking up 122.1GB of hard drive space and now windows is unable to run properly due to lack of hard drive space. When I delete other files this one just grows in size and quickly grabs up the newly freed space.I do...
  8. CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal file taking up all of my hard drive space - how do I delete...

CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal file taking up all of my hard drive space - how do I delete...: There is a single file called CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal taking up 122.1GB of hard drive space and now windows is unable to run properly due to lack of hard drive space. When I delete other files this one just grows in size and quickly grabs up the newly freed space.I do...
  9. Why do I keep getting a warning that all my files are going to be deleted because I've gone...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do I keep getting a warning that all my files are going to be deleted because I've gone...: I keep getting a message that says I am over my storage limit, my It says that I've used 1% of my 5GB. I've deleted all of my photos, mostly all of my files and It is still sending me the message despite the fact that I've only used 1% of my storage....
  10. Why do I keep getting a warning that all my files are going to be deleted because I've gone...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I keep getting a warning that all my files are going to be deleted because I've gone...: I keep getting a message that says I am over my storage limit, my It says that I've used 1% of my 5GB. I've deleted all of my photos, mostly all of my files and It is still sending me the message despite the fact that I've only used 1% of my storage....