Windows 10: FileHistory causes slow access of NAS when accessing through FQDN.

Discus and support FileHistory causes slow access of NAS when accessing through FQDN. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When FileHistory starts doing next incremental backup or is triggered manually, It almost locks down access to NAS: * When attempting to browse NAS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Vycka, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Vycka Win User

FileHistory causes slow access of NAS when accessing through FQDN.

When FileHistory starts doing next incremental backup or is triggered manually, It almost locks down access to NAS:
    * When attempting to browse NAS with file explorer, each refresh of directory takes 5-8secs. minutes if directory has 100+ files

* And this slowdown causes progress of FileHistory to slowdown/lockup on it self, and thus it never finishes.

* By canceling backup process, performance issues disappear.
    * For years now I used FileHistory and never had such issues under various system loads. my only suspicion is that random windows update caused these problems, as there were no other major changes in the system

The weird part in all of this is: while FileHistory has things locked up. When I manually access NAS using FQDN \\hostname\... it will be slow/unusable as described above. But when going into the same server through IP \\x.x.x.x\..., it works/responds with no issues.

p.s. Path provided in FileHistory configuration is also through FQDN.

What could be causing this?

:)

Vycka, Dec 11, 2020
  2. larrygood Win User

can't access older FileHistory

I can't access FileHistory on an older, filled external drive.

How do I access the edb, xml, and data files since if I start FileHistory on that drive

it starts a new FileHistory also telling me the drive is full.

Is there a program that let's me access my older FileHistory?

It is Windows 10 I believe.

Thanks,

Larry

larrygood, Dec 11, 2020
  3. Bug > FileHistory/Credential Manager

Hi,

I don't know where to report this so please guide me.

I use FileHistory to back up all my Windows 10 PCs. Target backup location is a Synology NAS.

FileHistory uses the Credential Manager to log into the NAS and store the backup files. To me that's a huge problem and therefor a serious bug.

If I have to store credentials in Credential Manager for FileHistory to be able to store the backup everyone can access that backup data.

I should not be difficult for ransomeware to ask the Crendential Manager to browse the backup location and then encrypt it. It's pretty ironic that this is a valid scenario - you would think your FileHistory backup is where you restore all data from when it
    has been encrypted - but that's not the case when the entire backup is encrypted.

I suggest that FileHistory uses it's own password vault instead of Windows Credential Manager. It's a huge flaw that the Credential Manager is being used for backup purpose and it defeats the purpose of having a secured backup when everyone can access the
    backup files. The goal must be to only grant the backup client access to the backup location.

// peter

peteringemann, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Tenforo Active Member

Recover access database

Looks like you will need to rebuild the whole thing but at least you have the data still, right?
    EDIT: Wait did you try this?

Convert a database to the Access 2007 file format

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/a...-the-access-2007-file-format-HA010048406.aspx

You cannot convert a replicated database to the Office Access 2007 file format. However, you can use Access 2007 to create a replica of a database that is formatted in either the Access 2000 or the Access 2002 - 2003 file format.

More copy and paste:
    [paste:font size="5"]Convert an Access 97 database, Convert an Access 95 database, or Convert an Access 2.0 database.
    • Click the Microsoft Office Button
      FileHistory causes slow access of NAS when accessing through FQDN. [​IMG]
      , point to Save As, and then, under Save the database in another format, click the file format to which you want to convert.
    • If any database objects are open when you use the Save Database As command, Access prompts you to close them prior to creating the copy. Click Yes to make Access close the objects, or click No to cancel the entire process. If needed, Access will also prompt you to save any changes.
    • In the Save As dialog box, type a file name in the File name box, and then click Save.
    Access creates the copy of the database, and then opens the copy. Access automatically closes the original database.

Here is a short and sweet version: http://www.ehow.com/how_7339817_convert-2003-database-access-2007.html

Tenforo, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

1. FileHistory causes slow access of NAS when accessing through FQDN. - Similar Threads - FileHistory causes slow

2. KB5022913 - Cumulative Update Breaks Access to Synology NAS & Slow File Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5022913 - Cumulative Update Breaks Access to Synology NAS & Slow File Access: Effective immediately after the install of 2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5022913, I have lost access to my Synology NAS file server. The NAS is setup using SMB2 or higher and accessible through a workgroup. Nothing has changed...
  3. KB5022913 - Cumulative Update Breaks Access to Synology NAS & Slow File Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5022913 - Cumulative Update Breaks Access to Synology NAS & Slow File Access: Effective immediately after the install of 2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5022913, I have lost access to my Synology NAS file server. The NAS is setup using SMB2 or higher and accessible through a workgroup. Nothing has changed...
  4. Question: I can't access network share through IP, but works on FQDN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question: I can't access network share through IP, but works on FQDN: It's the darndest thing and I can't figure it out so I'm asking. I've got my Win10-pro home server in my HOSTS file to the same IP, but when I navigate to the share at \\10.50.1.50\share I get a Network Error "Windows cannot access \\10.50.1.50\share. Contact your network...
  5. Slow drive access when first accessed that day

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow drive access when first accessed that day: This is something I have been experiencing for a while. It seems to happen only when I go to access a file on my secondary drive (traditional HDD) for the first time in a day. I get that message at the top about not responding or something, then a second or 2 later the files...
  6. Access files on NAS-drive through windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access files on NAS-drive through windows file explorer: Hi! Throughout the years I’ve had several different NAS-drives from different manufacturers connected to my home network, and on my computer which had windows 7 installed on it, I could always access all the files on my drives by simply clicking on the drive in the network...
  7. can't access older FileHistory

can't access older FileHistory: I can't access FileHistory on an older, filled external drive. How do I access the edb, xml, and data files since if I start FileHistory on that drive it starts a new FileHistory also telling me the drive is full. Is there a program that let's me access my older...
  8. Unable to access website via FQDN or IP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to access website via FQDN or IP: Hello, Hoping someone can assist with this mind boggling issue I have at work. We have a website we're trying to access from within our work network, but for some strange reason we just get the standard "this site can't be reached" error. I have gone into our Firewall...
  9. XP and NAS (Samba) access

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP and NAS (Samba) access: Hi folks If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to or from other Windows Hosts / guests. In your smb.config file add [global] lanman auth=yes ntlm auth=yes Now it works...
  10. No Access to NAS Drive

No Access to NAS Drive: Hi Folk, I can see that this seems to be a common problem on here! I have a Lacie cloudbox NAS drive. On WIn7 pro it worked just fine. Windows say the drive in the network group and I could access it like a normal folder. After I did the Win10 upgrade and it initially...