Windows 10: Filehistory retrieve backup

Discus and support Filehistory retrieve backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I have set up a filehistory backup to backup specific folders from my hard drive to an external SSD. This has worked perfectly and it the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dewey85, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Dewey85 Win User

Filehistory retrieve backup

Hi all,

I have set up a filehistory backup to backup specific folders from my hard drive to an external SSD. This has worked perfectly and it the backup shows on my SSD. All files are backed up and given a name extension with the date the files were backed up. So far so good:

Filehistory retrieve backup 51add536-ce5a-4d81-b93d-fe06bcae5a2f?upload=true.png

And in that file on my account name in gives me a folder with all backups:

Filehistory retrieve backup 6a74b174-e134-41d5-9d3a-628ee194b4c7?upload=true.png

Unfortunately my laptop crashed during a windows update erasing all my files. Especially for this I have backed my up my files. But now the problem starts on how to set them back to my harddrive. In Filehistory I cannot select the backups and have no way to copy them back. Off course I can copy them by hand, but then all my files have the backup date in the name, which I than have to rename manually, something I rather not do.

This is how I intend to retrieve my files:

1. Activate file history again in settings, updates & security, backup

Filehistory retrieve backup 17f3be5f-b282-4000-b8c5-65ad01922781?upload=true.png

2. Go to more options, related settings and restore files from current backup.

Filehistory retrieve backup 186c46ee-588b-4812-a46c-46b89d0d815d?upload=true.png

3. Here I get this window, but it does not allow me to select another backup other than the one I just made when turning on file history again in step 1.

Filehistory retrieve backup 6a3ba30c-6c60-4290-838f-44b1d5da9899?upload=true.png

When i direct it to the location on my S: drive directly (by typing in S: in the address field above) it gives me the following warning:

Filehistory retrieve backup c501e68b-ed3b-4c26-886e-806f2ce2e346?upload=true.png

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards,

Douwe

:)

Dewey85, Nov 8, 2018

2. FIleHistory: some folders are not backup up anymore

Preamble: I have been used FileHistory to backup my folders and files on a network drive since long.

All backup up folders where included in the Library, therefore I nave used the Backup Contro Panel to include other folders in the backup list.

Up to yesterday everything was working fine.

Yesterday I used the Backup Control Panel to see what was happening if I was adding folder "C:\User\Paolo" to the list of included folders.

Shame on me ..

Since then FileHistory stopped backing up all folders, with one exception: the special folder "Download" which is the only one in my Library to be located in drive D:\ (that is, outside C:\User\Paolo)

Removing the folder C:\User\Paolo from the included didn't work.

Restoring Windows to a previous restore point did not solve the issue.

Starting a new backup on a different network drive did not work.

The final solution was to both

• remove all files located in C:\Users\Paolo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • start a new backup in a new folder/network drive

I hope that sharing this will help others with the same issue.

Paolo

Paolo Cremonesi, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Backup / FileHistory

I had a backup drive using FileHistory in Windows 8.1. After having upgraded to Windows 10 however the the Backup option in settings is not doing what I want it to at all!!!

It doesn't allow me to choose which folders to backup and which to exclude. However many times I change these it always reverts to the default setting of backing up everything with no exclusions.

FileHistory was a very useful feature of Windows 8.1 and I would like to be able to do the same in Windows 10. Please help.!

SiriusBlackMessers, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Filehistory retrieve backup

Bug: Windows 10 (build 14393.693) FileHistory when using hidden network share as backup destination

Okay. Seems like it's impossible to report a bug as a standard consumer. I don't wanna call Microsoft supporter or anything - I just want to say that I've found a bug.

It's pretty simple to reproduce.

1. You have to have a FileHistory running using a network location as backup destination.

2. Disconnect the backup share (like move the folder so FileHistory cannot find it anymore).

3. Setup a new network share but make the new share hidden (so you have to use $ to browse it)

4. Enter FileHistory configuration

5. Configure FileHistory to use the new share - browse your way in \\someserver\share$\

6. FileHistory now asks you if you want to move previous FileHistory to the new location. Click Yes.

7. FileHistory now fails. Note that when you have clicked Ok to the fail dialog the screen shows your new network backup destination. BUT there's no $ in the path. The FileHistory process is kind of halted and you cannot start it, because the new destination
    does not exist (due to lack of $ in path).

8. To workaround, reproduce step 4-5 but in step 6 click No to move previous FileHistory.

9. Now the label has the new network path has the $ in its destination and the FileHistory is now working.

peteringemann, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Filehistory retrieve backup

1. Filehistory retrieve backup - Similar Threads - Filehistory retrieve backup

2. FileHistory no s'executa

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FileHistory no s'executa: Bona tarda,File History no s'executa.El log em dóna el següent error: FileHistory message: Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration...
  3. FileHistory no s'executa

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FileHistory no s'executa: Bona tarda,File History no s'executa.El log em dóna el següent error: FileHistory message: Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration...
  4. win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared: I used win10 before and made disk as my backup drive. In recent days, the drive is broke up so it's disconnected.When I was in window10, I can click Stop using the drive to remove it, but in win 11, I couldn't find the option like win10 as below....
  5. win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared: I used win10 before and made disk as my backup drive. In recent days, the drive is broke up so it's disconnected.When I was in window10, I can click Stop using the drive to remove it, but in win 11, I couldn't find the option like win10 as below....
  6. WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS

WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS: Hi. Q. I have an external hard drive which I have been using to copy files from a laptop using FileHistory. I now have a second laptop and I would like to copy files from it to the same drive I've been using for my other laptop, also using FileHistory. I want to make sure...
  7. FileHistory backup

FileHistory backup: Regarding FileHistory backup drive, if I select "Stop using device" can I still use the same external hard drive by selecting "Add a drive"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/filehistory-backup/23338f5f-61e8-4e31-bcce-25018f07f0f0
  8. Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

Restoring not very old FileHistory backups: I have an issue trying to restore files from Windows 10 FileHistory. For the first time, on May 27 2020, I used option : Settings Update & Security Backup Automatically back up my files I had 'file history' turned on. The backups are being written to an external drive....
  9. My Toshiba Harddrive won't backup using filehistory?

My Toshiba Harddrive won't backup using filehistory?: Hello I've tried using my Toshiba portable hard drive to backup my computer using FileHistory, the last time it could do it was on the 9.10.19, when I try to backup it up recently, it comes up with this picture. I try to back it up again ,but it comes up with the same...
  10. FileHistory says I've never done a backup..err

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    FileHistory says I've never done a backup..err: Having had a disaster meaning I had to rest my system, and stupidly not having backed up my files for sometime, I am now keeping an external drive connected to record FileHistory. However, on going to Settings>Update & Security>Backup> backup Options it seems I have never...