Windows 10: Filehistory timestamp

Discus and support Filehistory timestamp in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How can I eliminate all but the most recent file in filehistory WITHOUT USING Win10's file history program? My final objective is to end up each of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarkSZI, May 2, 2019.

1. MarkSZI Win User

Filehistory timestamp

How can I eliminate all but the most recent file in filehistory WITHOUT USING Win10's file history program?

My final objective is to end up each of the most recent copy of a file, without the timestamp in a clean folder structure so that I can copy back into my documents without duplicates.

Situation:

A file history restoration resulted in many files and folders missing. I can find the files with appended timestamps in the folders, but in many circumstances there are multiple copies with different timestamps. This is across 100s of folders and subfolders.

I tried asking file history to remove all but the most recent, but that just made things worse as it seems to have deleted the files that weren't in the file history index. (Fortunately I've robocopied the file history folder beforehand so I'm very certain all the files are there.)

I previously asked microsoft support for a way to rebuild (from the filehistory\user\data ... folders) whatever internal filehistory index is used, but could not get anywhere. I suspect if anyone knows how to do that it would work.

:)

MarkSZI, May 2, 2019

2. Windows 10 timestamps

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can understand, how frustrating it can be, when things don’t work as expected.

I'd be glad to help you.

Please answer the queries, mentioned below:

• Were you able to install Windows 10 successfully?

• Did you check, if it is present in Windows.old folder?

• Where exactly are you trying to check, if the TimeStamps are present?
    I would suggest you to follow these steps below to retrieve files manually from Windows.old folder and check, if it helps.

• Enter This PC in the search box, and then click on
      This PC in the search results.
    • Double-tap or double-click the drive that Windows is installed on (typically, the C: drive).
    • Double-tap or double-click the Windows.old folder.
    • Double-tap or double-click the Users folder.
    • Double-tap or double-click your user
      name.
    • Open the Windows.old folder that contain the files you want to retrieve.
    • Copy and paste the files that you want from
      Windows.old
      folder to a folder in Windows 10.
    • Repeat steps 5-7 for each user account on your PC.

Please feel free to contact us if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, May 2, 2019
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    FileHistory in Windows 10 Build 17763.253 completes incomplete Filehistory timestamp :)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

File History only backs up copies of files that are in the Documents,
    Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. If you have files or folders elsewhere that you want backed up, you can add them to one of these folders. I would suggest you to format the new
    drive and then try to initiate file History back up once again.

You can try resetting File history. To reset file history, disable (turn it off) it and follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to the folder %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory. You can copy and paste this path to the address bar of File Explorer.
    2. Delete all files and folders you see.

Once you perform the above steps, you can try setting up file history once again. If you need any additional assistance, please reply back with the exact error message.

Regards,

Naresh_K, May 2, 2019
  4. Filehistory timestamp

Two Timestamp issues/questions

I'm reconfiguring my wife's laptop. File History automatically adds a timestamp to every folder that is unzipped, and adds a Timestamp code to every file.

1. How do I turn off/disable Windows from automatically adding a timestamp? Yes..I've searched for an answer and have had zero success in finding a succinct answer.
    2. Is there a Command Prompt script to remove the Timestamp code from all files and folders? Yes....I've searched for this also and have not found a specific answer.

For the admins monitoring this, please allow someone to provide an answer and do not delete it.

Charles Putnam, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Filehistory timestamp

1. Filehistory timestamp - Similar Threads - Filehistory timestamp

2. Help with backing up files using FileHistory that are also syncing with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with backing up files using FileHistory that are also syncing with OneDrive: I recently used Onedrive to sync my desktop files online. This somewhat annoyingly changed all paths for my files and directories to include 'OneDrive'. That didn't seem to be too much of a problem. But now, when I try to back up my system with FileHistory, the directories...
  3. Help with backing up files using FileHistory that are also syncing with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with backing up files using FileHistory that are also syncing with OneDrive: I recently used Onedrive to sync my desktop files online. This somewhat annoyingly changed all paths for my files and directories to include 'OneDrive'. That didn't seem to be too much of a problem. But now, when I try to back up my system with FileHistory, the directories...
  4. Help with backing up files using FileHistory that are also syncing with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. FileHistory does not allow me to transfer my personal files from my external drive to my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FileHistory does not allow me to transfer my personal files from my external drive to my...: Hello Here's my issue : I have a backup drive containing files from my old Windows 10 computer that were saved using FileHistory. Now that I've changed computers and have a new drive and Windows 11 install, I tried to get the files back to my computer but the FileHistory tool...
  6. FileHistory does not allow me to transfer my personal files from my external drive to my...

FileHistory does not allow me to transfer my personal files from my external drive to my...: Hello Here's my issue : I have a backup drive containing files from my old Windows 10 computer that were saved using FileHistory. Now that I've changed computers and have a new drive and Windows 11 install, I tried to get the files back to my computer but the FileHistory tool...
  7. FileHistory Talking to VPN Server

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    FileHistory Talking to VPN Server: I recently tried using several VPN server services, now all uninstalled. Over the last few days, I've battled with the Proxy settings getting automatically enabled, it appears that I now have that under control. However, I've now noticed that my screen is being prevented from...
  8. FileHistory Talking to VPN Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FileHistory Talking to VPN Server: I recently tried using several VPN server services, now all uninstalled. Over the last few days, I've battled with the Proxy settings getting automatically enabled, it appears that I now have that under control. However, I've now noticed that my screen is being prevented from...
  9. FileHistory Talking to VPN Server

10. FileHistory no s'executa

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FileHistory no s'executa: Bona tarda,File History no s'executa.El log em dóna el següent error: FileHistory message: Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. script to remove filehistory timestamp

2. filehistory appends date to end of files

3. recent files timestamp