Windows 10: Filename case displays incorrectly

Discus and support Filename case displays incorrectly in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Linux based NAS device with a Samba share named "TV". Windows displays this as "tv". Previously, I could correct this by setting the registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by synapse_beta_sub_16, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Filename case displays incorrectly

I have a Linux based NAS device with a Samba share named "TV". Windows displays this as "tv". Previously, I could correct this by setting the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced DontPrettyPath =dword:00000001, but with the upgrade to Windows 10 Home 64bit version 1903 this value no longer works.

:)

synapse_beta_sub_16, Jun 19, 2019

2. Upscaling incorrectly when closing the lid & connecting an external display on UHD laptops

Hello Ves,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with when you connect an external display and close the lid of the laptop, Windows upscale the desktop incorrectly and icons are zoomed ¾ times covering
    the whole display area on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Run inbuilt Hardware & Device troubleshooter

Let’s try running inbuilt Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to get the problem automatically detected and fixed. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed
    correctly.

• Press Windows + W keys on your keyboard to get the search option.

• Type Troubleshooting and click
      Troubleshooting.

• Now click on view all option.

• Click on Hardware and Device and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

Step 1: Update the Display driver.
    Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Click Start and go to
      Run.

• In the Run prompt, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and then click OK.

• Device Manager will open.

• In Device Manager
      expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display driver and click
      Update Driver Software.

• Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
    Step 2: Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

• Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.

• When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Step 3: If the issue persists, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Display driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the display driver.

• Open Device Manager.

• Expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display card driver and click
      Uninstall.

• Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.

• After the un-installation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible.
    Computer will load the generic display drivers. Now, please go to the manufacturer’s website, download and install the compatible display card drivers for your computer and check.

You may also refer to the following website below to download the drivers for the Graphics card.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Jun 19, 2019
  3. IvoMI Win User
    exe filenames - case sensistive or not ?

Good afternoon,

I am getting a message that a certain .exe file is not present. When I checked the relevant folder, the program was there, but some letters were upper case and some not. In other words, in the same folder, does Windows 10 Pro discriminate between upper and
    lower case letters in a filename. For example, would abc.exe be treated the same as ABC.exe.

Kind regards,

Ivo Martinek

IvoMI, Jun 19, 2019
  4. alone Win User

Filename case displays incorrectly

Display langage reverted back

I followed the suggested actions: everything OK from step 1. and I attach as requested the output for step 2.

Filename case displays incorrectly [​IMG]

for convenience I attach the google translation

Filename case displays incorrectly [​IMG]

I'm ready to act following suggestions (if any) before...going through the restore (please don't misunderstand, I'm not looking forward doing it).

I appreciate in any case your help

alone, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

Filename case displays incorrectly

1. Filename case displays incorrectly - Similar Threads - Filename case displays

2. Paint incorrectly displaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Paint incorrectly displaying: I used some hacks to get the Paint application for Windows 11 running on Windows 10, steps to install these apps are widely available on the Internet. The app displays a transparent background on where the app is supposed to display theme-specific colours; the toolbar remains...
  3. Paint incorrectly displaying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paint incorrectly displaying: I used some hacks to get the Paint application for Windows 11 running on Windows 10, steps to install these apps are widely available on the Internet. The app displays a transparent background on where the app is supposed to display theme-specific colours; the toolbar remains...
  4. Incorrectly display language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrectly display language: hiI'm having trouble installing the language pack. All the writings are interwoven. Please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/incorrectly-display-language/5746086d-a9a0-4242-ab66-96c5566dd720
  5. Incorrectly display language

Incorrectly display language: hiI'm having trouble installing the language pack. All the writings are interwoven. Please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/incorrectly-display-language/5746086d-a9a0-4242-ab66-96c5566dd720
  6. Font displaying incorrectly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Font displaying incorrectly: Hello!I have 14 variations of Helvetica Neue installed on my Windows 10, but most of them do not show up in WindowsC:>Windows>Fonts. 10 of them are missing. However, all 14 variations of the font show up in the settings. They're also all in the...
  7. Font displaying incorrectly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Font displaying incorrectly: Hello!I have 14 variations of Helvetica Neue installed on my Windows 10, but most of them do not show up in WindowsC:>Windows>Fonts. 10 of them are missing. However, all 14 variations of the font show up in the settings. They're also all in the...
  8. Font displaying incorrectly

9. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: Whenever I boot my computer a pop up appears saying 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect'. This is the error shown: [ATTACH]...
  10. Windows 10 filename case problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 filename case problem: Hello everyone, i'm using Windows 10 Pro Build 1803 and i got case problem for example file or folder named "TENFORUMS" then when i change it to "Tenforums" or "tenforum" it doesn't apply and stays "TENFORUMS" how to fix this issue ? , Thanks. 110649

Users found this page by searching for:

1. issues with dontprettypath

2. DontPrettyPath Samba