Windows 10: Filename sorting doesn't work correctly in Windows 10

Discus and support Filename sorting doesn't work correctly in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is definately a bug... When sorting filenames in ascending order, why a space character has a lower value than a null character? For example,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jamesofski, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Filename sorting doesn't work correctly in Windows 10

This is definately a bug...

When sorting filenames in ascending order, why a space character has a lower value than a null character?

For example, this is what I get:

File A.txt

File.txt

FileA.txt

or

File - Copy.c

File.c

PS: I've already tried changing the value of "NoStrCmpLogical" in the registery. It doesn't affect this issue.

It looks as if the "." character is included in the sorting which is silly. But now days with file names that have multiple "." characters, I guess there's no work around this. Or is there?

:)

Jamesofski, Feb 11, 2021
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Filename sorting doesn't work correctly in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Windows Edge still doesn`t work correctly

It is now 6 weeks since I upgraded to 10 and Windows Edge still does not work correctly.

I cannot download anything with Edge (or ie11). It includes all sites eg, Microsoft, Logitech, Epson etc.

Dynamic links do not work and it doesn`t remember my log-in details although it asks if I want it to remember them.

Favourites do not get put on the favourites bar although I click on that option.

I have done all the advice I`ve been given, ie disable anti-virus etc.

Why do they have a Windows support tile if it doesn`t work?

Can anybody help me?

Graham Laughlan, Feb 11, 2021
  4. Filename sorting doesn't work correctly in Windows 10

Windows Edge still doesn`t work correctly

Hi,

Thanks for your ideas. I tried exactly as you said but it made absolutely no difference.

I still can`t download, still doesn`t remember login details although it still asks me if I want the details remembered.

Do you or anybody else have any ideas to help. It`s too late now for me to go back to Win 8.1 so I`m stuck with an os that doesn`t work properly.

Thank you.

Graham Laughlan, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

Filename sorting doesn't work correctly in Windows 10

1. Filename sorting doesn't work correctly in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Filename sorting doesn't

2. Photos not sorting correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos not sorting correctly: When I use an app like Photos to browse through pics in a folder, it does not respect the sorting order I want. Moreover, if I start from a pic down the list and I want to see the next pic, the viewer jumps all the way back to the top and starts from the first pic. I can't...
  3. Photos not sorting correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos not sorting correctly: When I use an app like Photos to browse through pics in a folder, it does not respect the sorting order I want. Moreover, if I start from a pic down the list and I want to see the next pic, the viewer jumps all the way back to the top and starts from the first pic. I can't...
  4. Windows 11 Folder sort by name and go to the first filename by pressing a letter doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Folder sort by name and go to the first filename by pressing a letter doesn't work: Just installed Windows 11 and there are a few things missing that I use a lot. One of them is sorting a folder by name in Explorer and then hitting a key to find the first file beginning with that letter. As soon as I press a letter it jumps into the Search, but I just want...
  5. Windows 11 Folder sort by name and go to the first filename by pressing a letter doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Folder sort by name and go to the first filename by pressing a letter doesn't work: Just installed Windows 11 and there are a few things missing that I use a lot. One of them is sorting a folder by name in Explorer and then hitting a key to find the first file beginning with that letter. As soon as I press a letter it jumps into the Search, but I just want...
  6. Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10: The way windows order filenames in the file explorer is beyond me. I understand that it tries to be "intelligent", ordering, for instance and by default, 111.txt after 22.txt, which sounds dummy for CS people, but ok, I get it. I also understand that you can change its...
  7. Sort by date not working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort by date not working correctly: i recently updated to windows 10 from 8.1 and the sort by date in the downloads folder is failing miserably, files that are downloaded are appearing in the middle of the folder or even at the last and in random locations, this is really frustrating and i tried all sort by...
  8. Windows 10 file sorting not working correctly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 file sorting not working correctly: Recently after some Windows Update my display language was changed to "Swedish Sweden" for whatever reason even though I've always had mine in English with Swedish QWERTY keyboard input. After I changed back the display language to English I noticed the sorting of Å, Ä and...
  9. Why doesn't BCDEDIT /export filename work in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why doesn't BCDEDIT /export filename work in Windows 10?: I found several web pages that list this command as a way to back up the BCD Store. But when I tried to run this command on 2 different Win 10 Pro 64 systems, I got an this error message: C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /export D:\Systems\BCD Backup The store export command is...
  10. Is there a bug in filename sort in Window 10? Below I sort by filename but it is NOT correct.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a bug in filename sort in Window 10? Below I sort by filename but it is NOT correct.: Is there a bug in filename sort in Window 10. Below I sort by filename but it is NOT correct. This is very frustrating. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-bug-in-filename-sort-in-window-10-below/f799138e-d0c2-4d7a-866b-06fe0845f5f6"