Windows 10: Files (17 GBytes) left behind after failed system restore attempts

Discus and support Files (17 GBytes) left behind after failed system restore attempts in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Please bear with me, as this is my first post to the forum. :-) A few days ago, I attempted a couple of system restores (two different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jeffsmack, May 31, 2019.

1. jeffsmack Win User

Files (17 GBytes) left behind after failed system restore attempts

Hello,

Please bear with me, as this is my first post to the forum. Files (17 GBytes) left behind after failed system restore attempts :)

A few days ago, I attempted a couple of system restores (two different system restore points) in an attempt to back out a Dell update for a Bluetooth driver that appeared to not be working. For whatever reason, both system restores failed with a message indicating that my system files remained unchanged. But this is not my concern, nor the reason for this post, as I was able to solve the Bluetooth driver another way.

My concern is that immediately after the attempted system restores - and even after running CCleaner and Windows Disk Cleanup (both set for maximum cleaning, including temporary files), and deleting all system restore points, my available disk storage space is down by 17 GBytes! I have run the both cleanups a few times, even after waiting a couple of days.

What files are consuming this space, and where are they located? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

System: Dell XPS 13 9370 Laptop; Intel Core i7 8550U 8th Generation; 16 GBytes RAM; Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

:)

jeffsmack, May 31, 2019

2. System Restore failure on Windows 10 PC

System Restore is a wonderful tool - if it works. Unfortunately it fails far too often. I suggest you do this:

• Run the command SystemPropertiesProtection.exe to open the System Restore configuration panel.
    • Turn off System Restore on all partitions. This will delete all existing restore points.
    • Turn on System Restore on the system partition. This should fix the restore problem.
    • Plug in your USB backup disk.
    • Open the Control Panel / File History.
    • Click Create a system image.
    • Plug in a small flash disk (1 GByte will do)
    • Click Create a System Repair Disk. Do NOT copy the system files.
    If you ever need to re-install Windows then you can do it quickly like so:

• Make sure you have a recent backup of your data files.
    • Boot the machine with the small flash disk.
    • Restore the image from the USB backup disk.
    • Restore your data from your backup.

Frederik Long, May 31, 2019
  3. Clark Ari Win User
    System Restore - System restore failed to extract the file ...... (0x8007005) error

Hi Loucille,

One of the possible reasons why the error code 0x8007005 occurs when performing system restore is due to corrupted system files that caused software conflicts. Since you have tried several steps to resolve the issue, we recommend that you
    perform a System Restore in safe mode. To boot your device in
    safe mode kindly click on this link. This will start Windows in a basic state, using a limited
    set of files and drivers.

Once done, we suggest that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. System Restore will be able to revert your PC or laptop to their previous state, which can be used to repair and recover system malfunctions or issues. Restoring won’t affect
    your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

If in case that the issue persists, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool. This will be able
    to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore it. We also suggest that you run the DISM command to repair the Windows image on your system. Follow the steps provided
    on this link for the complete guide on how to use
    the tool.

Please post back with the result.

Clark Ari, May 31, 2019
  4. Mark Isi Win User

Failed to complete System Restore

Hello Passegua,

The error code 0x80070005 may indicate a few things that are causing System Restore Failure. It could be corrupted system files, conflict with other programs such as Anti-virus protection, and etc. As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest
    that you perform System restore in Safe Mode. Kindly refer to this link for more information and steps.

Another step that I can suggest is Clean Boot, if the above step fails.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, May 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Files (17 GBytes) left behind after failed system restore attempts - Similar Threads - Files GBytes left

2. The restore system fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  3. The restore system fails.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  4. "System restore failed to extract the file "

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "System restore failed to extract the file ": Hello, I am end up in Blue screen and when I try to restore this is error I am getting "system restore failed to extract the file C:\Program filesx86\Microsoft office\root\office16\INKCOMMENT.DLL from the restore point" Any help is much appreciated....
  5. "System restore failed to extract the file "

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "System restore failed to extract the file ": Hello, I am end up in Blue screen and when I try to restore this is error I am getting "system restore failed to extract the file C:\Program filesx86\Microsoft office\root\office16\INKCOMMENT.DLL from the restore point" Any help is much appreciated....
  6. "System restore failed to extract the file "

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Automatic Repair Loop after System Restore attempt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic Repair Loop after System Restore attempt: My laptop is a Lenovo 20NF0012US ThinkPad E595 AMD Ryzen 5 3500U w/ Radeon Nega Mobile GfxProcessor Bios Lenovo R11et40W 1.20 Windows 20H2 with all updates installed through April 8. After running updates last week my Logitech headset microphone stopped working. I use...
  8. Attempted system restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Attempted system restore: Its telling me it failed because my antivirus software is on? I have a virus I’m trying to get rid of, if I turn off my antivirus wouldn’t that let the malware do what is wants? submitted by /u/Tarzan-of-the-Desert [link] [comments]...
  9. System restore failing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore failing: Im running the latest version of Windows 10 and whenever I try to do a system restore I get this error: “System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and Settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed to extract the original copy of...
  10. System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt: Hi. OS: Windows 10 (I believe it's Educational version) 1903 - with all updates available. Here's what happened: I started System Restore to a point from few hours ago (installed an app that messed up my env vars - whatever...) It all looked fine, PC rebooted and was...