Windows 10: Files and app not opening

Discus and support Files and app not opening in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After in-place upgrade repair to "recover" Windows 10 on my Acer laptop, I am slowly finding problems as I go. Yesterday, I got help getting my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SuePatterson2, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Files and app not opening

After in-place upgrade repair to "recover" Windows 10 on my Acer laptop, I am slowly finding problems as I go. Yesterday, I got help getting my OneDrive back working and syncing again, and all seemed to be fine - folders with pictures were all there as were files and folders I had updated on my desktop pc.

Today, I tried to actually open pictures, and I can't. I get a file system error (-2147219196). Some look like they're going to start downloading, up to about 3% and then the error message pops up instead.

Also, not sure if it's related, same sort of thing happened with Calculator. No error message, but it come up briefly, like it's going to open, but then does not - a brief glimpse of the blue window and it's gone. I tried uninstalling and relaunching through the app store and that didn't work. Neither did a reset. Downloaded a different free calculator and it works.

Don't want to take any chances with all of my photos, though, so I haven't tried anything to fix that problem.

Thanks

:)

SuePatterson2, Jun 8, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Files and app not opening :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Jun 8, 2019
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Files and app not opening

App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Hi Hitkary,

It seems that there is no default app set to open these kind of files. Can you still recall the type of app or program that opens this kind of file?

For us to isolate this issue, we suggest assigning a default app or program to open it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings and click System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • At the bottom, click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down and look for the .e8d549184 file.
    • Once found, click the + sign on the right and select the app you want to use.

Once you've successfully set the default app, try opening the file again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Files and app not opening

1. Files and app not opening - Similar Threads - Files app opening

2. Open Apps and Files in the Background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open Apps and Files in the Background: I remember way back in windows 10 when I am opening multiple excel files, they would all open without blocking the screen and open quietly in the background.The thing is I don't know how that happened and I liked it, windows 11 have this feature? if so, how?...
  3. Open Apps and Files in the Background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Apps and Files in the Background: I remember way back in windows 10 when I am opening multiple excel files, they would all open without blocking the screen and open quietly in the background.The thing is I don't know how that happened and I liked it, windows 11 have this feature? if so, how?...
  4. Opening a file with a specific app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Opening a file with a specific app: Is there any way to open a specific file with a specific app? I' d like to automatically open a file with a certain pdf reader, but, at the same time, I need all the other pdf on my computer to open in Chrome. Is there any way to do that automatically without needing to right...
  5. No app is opening, only file explorer is open

No app is opening, only file explorer is open: Today when I opened Avast antivirus, it showed me that almost 113 registry keys are broken, so I pressed the button to fix them. Windows was working fine before I pressed the button. Then Avast opened a blank white screen, I thought I must close it as it has got hanged and...
  6. Photos App issue with opening files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos App issue with opening files: I can't open files when I click on them, both photos and videos. The error code is 2147163901 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-issue-with-opening-files/1dd4afce-733c-45d6-9836-a5cde96e71bf
  7. Files not opening with correct app

Files not opening with correct app: I have Media Player Classic (MPC-HC) as my default app for opening various video files (MP4, AVI, etc). But it no longer works. When I d-click such a file type in Windows File Explorer, it always opens with the Films & TV app. I've reset it in vain several times by using...
  8. Files not opening with correct app

in Windows 10 Support
    Files not opening with correct app: I have Media Player Classic (MPC-HC) as my default app for opening various video files (MP4, AVI, etc). But it no longer works. When I d-click such a file type in Windows File Explorer, it always opens with the Films & TV app. I've reset it in vain several times by using...
  9. Default apps for opening files

Default apps for opening files: How do you change the programs/apps which appear on the drop-down lists next to each file extension type in the "Choose default apps by file type" menu? I'm trying to associate the Windows Photos app with the .webp extension which Google is now saving many of my pictures...
  10. Office Apps Slow to Open Files

Office Apps Slow to Open Files: Office 2013 installed on my Windows 10 machine. This was upgraded from Windows 7. Office apps, specifically word and excel take a long time to open. What could be the issue? 10828