Windows 10: Files and folders constantly resetting positions

Discus and support Files and folders constantly resetting positions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm struggling to get used to it. My biggest debacle at the moment is my files and folders constantly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ben18DP, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Ben18DP Win User

Files and folders constantly resetting positions

I just recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm struggling to get used to it. My biggest debacle at the moment is my files and folders constantly resetting positions. Now basically there are some files and folders that I like to manually position in a certain way. I usually turn auto arrange on so that when I move them they're neatly positioned and there's no white blank areas around them also the grid icon that appears, when auto arrange is turned on, is very helpful to me. However, I noticed that whenever I refresh the page or leave it and come back the files and folders reset to their original positions. I tried turning on and off both auto arrange and auto grid but they still keep resetting after I refresh or leave the page. Is there a way to set it so that they stay in the positions that I want after I drag and arrange them? This has to be a simple modification.

:)

Ben18DP, Jan 16, 2020
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Files and folders constantly resetting positions :)

Frogger, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - Folder Size & Position resets to last Open Folder

I cannot find a setting in the Folder settings where I can set my folder size, type, position to be unique from other folders. When I close one folder and then open another the new folder inherits the same size and position of the last open folder.

Is there a way to change this?

The icon settings for each folder are saving properly. So if I want to see a list of files in one folder but have large icons in other folder there is no problem.

So this question is limited JUST to the size and position of the folder when its opened. Seems like XP had a setting where each folder could have its own unique position and size. Does Windows 10 have the same options? If not why not?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

IBBeachBum, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Files and folders constantly resetting positions

Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Files and folders constantly resetting positions

1. Files and folders constantly resetting positions - Similar Threads - Files folders constantly

2. How to lock folders position?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to lock folders position?: I would like to have some folders opening in the same position and in the same size. How to make windows remember my preferences so that not to have to fix them every time I open them?...
  3. How to lock folders position?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to lock folders position?: I would like to have some folders opening in the same position and in the same size. How to make windows remember my preferences so that not to have to fix them every time I open them?...
  4. Folder icon positioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder icon positioning: I have several computers running either Win10 or Win11. On all but one, when I create a new desktop folder, it stays where I create it. On ONE computer, every time I create a new desktop folder it moves to the first 'open' position from the left of the screen. This occurred...
  5. Folder icon positioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder icon positioning: I have several computers running either Win10 or Win11. On all but one, when I create a new desktop folder, it stays where I create it. On ONE computer, every time I create a new desktop folder it moves to the first 'open' position from the left of the screen. This occurred...
  6. Language Bar resets position

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Language Bar resets position: [ATTACH] I've run into the following problem after one of the recent updates, current system version is 19041.867 Previously, the language bar was to the left of the system tray icons for all languages, in a fixed position, like so: Correct position However, after the...
  7. Monitor programs reseting position

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor programs reseting position: I am running dual monitors both through DP and I use my second monitor for my system info and other information. My problem is when ever my pc goes to sleep or the monitors turn off if i walk away for 20 min all the programs i put on the 2nd monitor reset to the main monitor...
  8. Taskbar position resetting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar position resetting: So, I recently got a new PC and I've just set everything up. Now, I always like to have my taskbar along the top of my screen, and that was of course one of the first things I did. But whenever I get automatically logged out after being away for too long, the taskbar resets...
  9. Folders Keep Changing Position

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders Keep Changing Position: hello everyone. i found this topic - Open folder window at same position every time - Windows 10 Forums i browsed and didn't find a solution. im having the same problem. when i open "My PC" or any folder in my desktop windows 10 remembers if i resize it, but always...
  10. Is It Possible to Reset File Explorer's Window Position?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is It Possible to Reset File Explorer's Window Position?: Every time I open File Explorer the window jumps to a new position (possibly a glitch). Is there a way to reset these settings through the registry? 14798