Windows 10: Files and folders were deleted from "Downloads" folder after selecting "Compress your OS...

Discus and support Files and folders were deleted from "Downloads" folder after selecting "Compress your OS... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I selected the "Compress your OS drive" option in "Disk Clean-up" after which a lot of data got deleted from the "Downloads" & "Documents" folders.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by khan10feroz, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Files and folders were deleted from "Downloads" folder after selecting "Compress your OS...

I selected the "Compress your OS drive" option in "Disk Clean-up" after which a lot of data got deleted from the "Downloads" & "Documents" folders.

Then i found the option "Compress this drive to save disk space" was already selected on the C: Drive, so unchecked it after which the data in "Documents" folder got restored.

But the data in "Downloads" folder was not restored.

Can some one please help me, i spoke to a Microsoft engineer by calling their support line. But he was not able to help me.

I have Win10 Pro installed on a Samsung SSD.

:)

khan10feroz, Feb 26, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Files and folders were deleted from "Downloads" folder after selecting "Compress your OS... :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Files and folders were deleted from "Downloads" folder after selecting "Compress your OS... :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Feb 26, 2019
  3. R9
    r9 Win User
    Trouble deleting a folder

Download norton commander for windows and try it. I`m using it for deleting those autorun.inf virus files that stuck to the USB drives or second non system partition. If no file is used from windows folder NC should erase it easy. And there is Hiren`s boot disk that you can download it is bootable and has volkov commander on it similar to NC and it runs in DOS and it will delete windows folder 100%. Or you can make USB stick bootable and use deltree command.

4. Files and folders were deleted from "Downloads" folder after selecting "Compress your OS...

Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

Files and folders were deleted from "Downloads" folder after selecting "Compress your OS...

1. Files and folders were deleted from "Downloads" folder after selecting "Compress your OS... - Similar Threads - Files folders were

2. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  3. Is it safe to delete this file from the downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete this file from the downloads folder?: I downloaded AOMEI software, and it appeared in my downloads folder as AOMEIBackupperStd.JxxaV. Its size is 124 MB.I double-clicked it and successfully installed the program. I see that there is an AOMEI folder now in my Program Files x86 with a size of 369 MB.Is it now safe...
  4. Is it safe to delete this file from the downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to delete this file from the downloads folder?: I downloaded AOMEI software, and it appeared in my downloads folder as AOMEIBackupperStd.JxxaV. Its size is 124 MB.I double-clicked it and successfully installed the program. I see that there is an AOMEI folder now in my Program Files x86 with a size of 369 MB.Is it now safe...
  5. Can I delete free fonts that I downloaded compressed zip files from my downloads folder...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I delete free fonts that I downloaded compressed zip files from my downloads folder...: Can I delete free fonts that I downloaded compressed zip files from my downloads folder after I've installed them and they're in Paint 3d?I would like to save space and was wondering if they will still be saved in Paint 3d after I've deleted them from my downloads?...
  6. Problem with deleted files from Downloads folder

Problem with deleted files from Downloads folder: So, I had win 8.1 and recently updated to win 10. I earlier only downloaded files in :C because I didn't create another drive out of it. So I did it in win 10 partitioning the drives during booting up your system After that, I tried taking all my files in downloads folder to...
  7. A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?: Compressed folders are often shown in blue for user convenience. When Windows explorer copies files and also sub-folders from one compressed folder to another compressed folder, does it decompress the file data ON-THE-FLY, and then re-compress it again towards the...
  8. File and Folder Icons Disappear after compression

File and Folder Icons Disappear after compression: Hi. After recent Windows updates, about half of my files showed little blue arrows in the top left corner (which I found out meant they were being compressed). Then about a day later, I logged back on to my computer to find out that all the files and folders that were being...
  9. compressed folders

compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"
  10. delete compressed folder

delete compressed folder: compressed folder/file taking up 6 gigabytes of storage. Need to recover the 6 gigs. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-compressed-folder/cf72617a-0945-4941-935b-14d217f0e981"