Windows 10: Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

Discus and support Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a new laptop, so unless this is some weird feature that's specific to the laptop, then I assume it's a Windows 10 settings issue because I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Abc123, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Abc123 Win User

Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

I have a new laptop, so unless this is some weird feature that's specific to the laptop, then I assume it's a Windows 10 settings issue because I've never encountered anything like this before. I downloaded several JPGs and PDFs from various emails and began to change the arbitrary "234809238ksdfjskdfjsdlkf" type filenames to specific things indicating what they are, and I got done and realized all the stuff I typed was gone and the JPGs had changed to "filename(1)", "filename(2)", "filename(3)" and the same with the PDFs.. and "filename" was the name I'd assigned to the first file of each file type. The subsequent names I'd chosen were entirely different and the files were all unrelated to one another.

I figured I'd go ahead and ask and try to get this issue resolved before it happens in the future and really pisses me off.

:)

Abc123, Oct 11, 2015

2. MS Edge folders with (2)

The problem is worse than I thought. I did not have duplicate folders in the Edge, but I did on Internet Explorer. I deleted these the renamed the Internet Explore folders. I went back to the Edge, and still could not rename the folders without the "(2) after
    it. Now I see that my favorites all have replicated themselves. Each of my links in favorites have now several duplicates. As fast as I delete them, more pop up. This is getting unusable. I don't know why everything in favorites keeps getting replicated, several
    times over.

NanetteEvans, Oct 11, 2015
  3. Why do pictures,music & videos files automatically duplicate themselves on lumia 820?

Hello everybody,

Recently bought a nokia Lumia 820

Pictures,music & videos files automatically duplicate themselves on nokia Lumia 820.

shivask---01, Oct 11, 2015
  4. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

Sounds to me it is either some security software intervening or some bizarre bug in the email program you are using. Certainly not something Windows itself would do. Least I never seen it do that.

logicearth, Oct 11, 2015
  5. Abc123 Win User
    I just have Windows Defender. Well, and malwarebytes but that shouldn't be doing anything. I was using gmail website.

Abc123, Oct 11, 2015
  6. acmanten Win User
    abc123:
    I have never seen anything like this at all. Never heard of such a thing. Must be something on that specific laptop.
    Best to you. What OS is on that laptop? tks,,, Cliff M.

acmanten, Oct 11, 2015
  7. Abc123 Win User
    Windows 10. (well I upgraded from 8.1 and did a clean install)

It's an HP Spectre x360

Abc123, Oct 12, 2015
  8. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

may be malware baby , better instal internet security suite and scan

my advice for future use comodo firewall it is best
    not even need to install anti virus bz it has cloud based virusscope

PratikUnleashed, Oct 12, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    "I downloaded several JPGs and PDFs from various emails and began to change..."

Hi, perhaps if you explain precisely how you renamed the files it might be clearer.

I assume given that statement you were working in File explorer (or equivalent) when you renamed the files, and you had a list of files shown in one folder which you had open.
    You then manually renamed each one by clicking on the filename, waiting, clicking again, then typing the new name.

If so, you were working on one file at a time. At what point did you see the file names change?

Or, do you in fact mean that you tried to change the name of each in a 'Save as' box?

Or sthg else?

And how is your email handled? via your browser or an email client?
    Thanks!

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

1. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names - Similar Threads - Files automatically renaming

2. Files duplicate themselves in server 2019

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files duplicate themselves in server 2019: When I created a file or a folder, it created another 4 same new files or folders with 2, 3, 4 at the end of the file name. Any thought? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-duplicate-themselves-in-server-2019/a3c4f590-a4fc-4667-9edc-5e71bd2f778b
  3. Files duplicate themselves in server 2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files duplicate themselves in server 2019: When I created a file or a folder, it created another 4 same new files or folders with 2, 3, 4 at the end of the file name. Any thought? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-duplicate-themselves-in-server-2019/a3c4f590-a4fc-4667-9edc-5e71bd2f778b
  4. AUTO DUPLICATED AND RENAMED FILE IN WINDOWS SHARING FILE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AUTO DUPLICATED AND RENAMED FILE IN WINDOWS SHARING FILE: Hallo. I have an issue with my file in sharing folder. the file keep auto duplicate and renamed to the new file with version in the last name "1"example : sh01.blend duplicate and renamed to sh01 01.blendwhy is this happen and how do i stop this automatic file versioning...
  5. How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files: Hi, I would like to know if there is some registry hack or something that automatically renames files with the same name when copying or moving. For example you have folder with a file called banana.txt and then you copy another file called banana.txt to that folder and...
  6. Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files: Let's say I have a folder with 5 jpeg images and 5 png images, select them all, and rename them, to 'Photo', instead of going from 'Photo 1' to 'Photo 10', it names the png files up to 5 and then the jpeg files up to 5, meaning I end up with duplicate names such as 'Photo 5'...
  7. .Zip files automatically deleting themselves.

in Windows 10 Support
    .Zip files automatically deleting themselves.: I was downloading a game in .zip files (Balls? by dani). And the files would half the time say "failed Download Error" and the other would finish. About 2 seconds after it finishes it automatically deletes itself. No trace at all. I don't know what details to add to make the...
  8. How to automatically rename my mp3 file name to the lrc file name?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to automatically rename my mp3 file name to the lrc file name?: Hi , is there a way or a program to automatically rename mp3 lyrics file(.lrc) to the same name as my mp3 files? i am asking this because windows media player requires both the mp3 and lyrics to be the same name to recognize and play the lyrics. 56506
  9. Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name: Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names. Don't ask me how. She has to rename them. Is there a way to change the % to an underscore in all the files at one time? Thank...
  10. Duplicate File Rename Limit of 100

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate File Rename Limit of 100: Hi all, I've got a ton of image files for my costuming group that get posted and I download. Because of how they are saved on our forums, I am often working with with 100's of files that have the same name. As an example, I would have "DCIM_0001", and then "DCIM_0001(1)",...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to automatically rename duplicate files

2. files have been automatically moved into duplicate file names on phone

3. windows automatically renaming emails with the same name when copying

4. files automatically duplicating,
  5. windows duplicate renaming