Windows 10: Files backed up to an external harddrive that end up with the file extension "last"...

Discus and support Files backed up to an external harddrive that end up with the file extension "last"... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Backed up files on PC running Windows 10 to a WD My Passport Ultra external hard drive. But the files all have a file extension "last" attached to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jesse Ingram, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Files backed up to an external harddrive that end up with the file extension "last"...

Backed up files on PC running Windows 10 to a WD My Passport Ultra external hard drive. But the files all have a file extension "last" attached to them making them unreadable. Is this a Windows issue/fix, or is it possibly caused by the software associated with the external drive. Am a novice PC user so any explanation/answer/fix provided would be most helpful if dumbdowned. THX for any help you can provide!

:)

Jesse Ingram, Mar 19, 2019
  2. mo golf Win User

copying files to usb and external harddrive

I have windows 10 and I can't send files to my external harddrive and/or usb sticks

mo golf, Mar 19, 2019
  3. File History of files on external USB harddisk drive

Hi,

I have a external harddisk connected to my pc using USB. This drive contains personal files which I want to add to file history. I simply want that everytime I connect my external harddrive to my pc, that file history backs up the files on it to a location
    on the network. How do I do that?

* I have file history working for files on an internal harddrive

* I did add my external harddrive to the Documents library

* I tried adding the folder on the external harddrive using the "Add a folder" using the windows 10 settings. But the folder seems to dissappear from the list after a while.

Another detail: the disk is encrypted using DiskCryptor. Everytime I connect the drive windows says it has to be formatted. When I mount the drive by providing the key to DiskCryptor the drive becomes a valid one.

Stefan Cloudt, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Files backed up to an external harddrive that end up with the file extension "last"...

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Files backed up to an external harddrive that end up with the file extension "last"...

1. Files backed up to an external harddrive that end up with the file extension "last"... - Similar Threads - Files backed external

2. Backing up files to an external disc - automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up files to an external disc - automatically: I have a folder at C:\Users\Public\ and need to back it up on an external USB. I tried using file history but I couldn't get it to work because I couldn't set the path to that folder.I basically want to change the "Copies from" and add another path to copy things from.I have...
  3. Backing up files to an external disc - automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up files to an external disc - automatically: I have a folder at C:\Users\Public\ and need to back it up on an external USB. I tried using file history but I couldn't get it to work because I couldn't set the path to that folder.I basically want to change the "Copies from" and add another path to copy things from.I have...
  4. Back up files

Back up files: there are several repeated files 'back up.....' each time I have to edit the files, is back up automatically, how stop this from happening ?I just the main file. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-files/a08a8c70-05ce-4516-914d-a7c3b2e8af5a
  5. Back Up Files

Back Up Files: G'day,I have been trying to find some WORD DOCUMENT FILES. I cannot find them. I have done a BACK UP some time ago. I would like to know how I could look through this back up to see if the files are there. I do not want to RESTORE them. I would like to find my old Document...
  6. Back-up with seagate external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up with seagate external harddrive: As others before, I got trouble to use my new seagate external hard drive with windows 10 on my laptop. Windows is recognizing the device and I can start the back-up process in Windows. But always I get the message that the back-up has begun. but even so, every time, after...
  7. File history not showing "Files last backed up on..."

File history not showing "Files last backed up on...": Windows 10 file history, backing up to a SanDisk usb drive on my Router. File history is working, but the comment "files last backed up on..." has disappeared. It was there until about a week ago. Files are being backed up -- I can run it and check on the backup drive...
  8. Backing up Selected Files - last Week or Last Month

Backing up Selected Files - last Week or Last Month: Before the last update I was able to select all files - new or modified - in say the last week or last month. Now when I highlight the directory and enter into the search box the option for modified since doesn't appear....
  9. backing up files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    backing up files: I want to change the drive and user that is being used on my computer. They are currently in (F) files user lat10 which is an incorrect user. I want to backup to drive (E) with Linda as the user. I also have many, many files under lat10 that were under lat101 until...
  10. back up files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    back up files: cant find my back up files for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/back-up-files/007e4ca4-6dc2-4498-b5cb-dbf1507d738c