Windows 10: files being deleted, computer turning on on it's own, etc

Discus and support files being deleted, computer turning on on it's own, etc in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; for a while now I've noticed after pushing a new update on my computer the computer for the next couple of days will turn on all on it's own a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WhitneyMcNabb, Mar 21, 2019.

1. files being deleted, computer turning on on it's own, etc

for a while now I've noticed after pushing a new update on my computer the computer for the next couple of days will turn on all on it's own a few minutes to several hours later without anyone being near it. This normally happens if I choose the "update and shut down" option when I get ready to turn it off for the night. I've done a full system scan with a few different anti-virus programs and even had the computer disconnected from the internet just in case I had issue with someone gaining access to my system remotely (nothing found) yet it will do so anyways of it's own will. Is this a common issue? if so why the hell does Microsoft even have such a "feature" imbedded into it's operating system?

secondly I've also noticed the computer has a nasty habit of automatically uninstalling and removing legitimate programs from my computer, anything from recent 3rd party applications (i.e. wowmatrix) or even a student version of Microsoft office suite which I will have to go and re-buy as for some reason your servers do not recognize my computer as a valid user of the software anymore even though I have done nothing to change it and the purchased software does NOT have an expiration date on it... mind NOT invading my computer to that degree with your next OS?

honestly Microsoft with each passing year and update I am finding myself more and more turned off to your products. I would gladly go for another OS such as Linux or Unix or some such if they were much more friendly to the gaming community...

:)

WhitneyMcNabb, Mar 21, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Mar 21, 2019
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Mar 21, 2019
  4. files being deleted, computer turning on on it's own, etc

Deleting a file

Hi,

In order for us to assist you better, let us know few things to analyze the issue with deleting files in your computer.

• Are you receiving any error messages when deleting or moving the files?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Is it possible for you to send us a screenshot of the issue?
    Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

files being deleted, computer turning on on it's own, etc

1. files being deleted, computer turning on on it's own, etc - Similar Threads - files being deleted

2. Computer Not Turning on after being unplugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Not Turning on after being unplugged: Hi All, Last night I pressed shut down on my pc and rgb lights on the pc were still going so i just switched off the power supply and unplugged the pc, and now today its just not turning on, there is power going to the pc but nothing happens when i turn it on. Its not a full...
  3. Computer Not Turning on after being unplugged

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Not Turning on after being unplugged: Hi All, Last night I pressed shut down on my pc and rgb lights on the pc were still going so i just switched off the power supply and unplugged the pc, and now today its just not turning on, there is power going to the pc but nothing happens when i turn it on. Its not a full...
  4. Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc: A while ago I tried to install Forza Horizon 4 via the windows store. The installation didn't work, and the game never ran. Then I forgot about it. Now I've found the files while doing some cleaning in a folder called WindowsApps, and there's almost 80gb of stuff trapped in...
  5. Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc: A while ago I tried to install Forza Horizon 4 via the windows store. The installation didn't work, and the game never ran. Then I forgot about it. Now I've found the files while doing some cleaning in a folder called WindowsApps, and there's almost 80gb of stuff trapped in...
  6. Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. etc file deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    etc file deleted: I accidentaly deleted the etc folder. Is there any possible way to get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/etc-file-deleted/d0f0fa26-c28b-44f0-9e11-4d8fcfa57d1b
  8. Files are being Deleted Automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files are being Deleted Automatically: Help! My desktop files and any other file I create is being deleted automatically. My pc was working ok on 11/01. But by 11/05 I noticed I could not create a folder on my desktop or in my documents. If I try to open a file, it gets deleted automatically. It deletes the new...
  9. Why can’t I delete system files on my own computer???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can’t I delete system files on my own computer???: Is this some kind of a joke? I wanted to delete that useless windows antimalware thing but it turns out I can’t because I have no permissions. Why can’t I delete my own files on my own computer where I have administrator privileges? Is deleting system protected files possible...
  10. Deleting .ETC files

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting .ETC files: I came across a folder which was reported as empty and tried to delete it. I had to take ownership but still could not delete it --- then found it had around 10 MB of .ETC log files relating to such things as incorrect shutdown from last year and this year. Can I delete these...