Windows 10: Files changed to .XML after copying to Ext. Hard Drive - Cannot Open!!

Discus and support Files changed to .XML after copying to Ext. Hard Drive - Cannot Open!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I copied my jpg photos to my external hard drive and trying to open in my Windows 10 system but unable to open. Can see all the files in my external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SRIKA13, Nov 1, 2020.

1. SRIKA13 Win User

Files changed to .XML after copying to Ext. Hard Drive - Cannot Open!!

I copied my jpg photos to my external hard drive and trying to open in my Windows 10 system but unable to open. Can see all the files in my external hard drive converted to type XML with original file sizes. Tried copying to desktop, checked in another laptop and renamed file to .jpg no luck. Please help!!

Moved from: Microsoft 365 and Office/ More Office apps / Windows 10 / Unknown/other

:)

SRIKA13, Nov 1, 2020
  2. MAC01SM Win User

All of the files on my remote storage drive somehow had an .XML extension added to the file name and now will not open.

Thank you for your response - yes I scanned the drive with an updated product - no virus.

Not sure how it happened. I believe the sequence (over time) was this - a) I copied the files to my portable hard drive; b) at one point I opened the drive to review the files on a different system; c) I tried to open the files on my home system and discovered
    the XML extension (I cannot recall if there was an interim step in which I open the files/drive on my home system before later not being able to open them because of the .XML extension.) Neither of the systems described in (a) or (b) above are available anymore.

Thinking on this further, it maybe that I batch copied an entire subfolder onto my portable hard drive and that is when the .xml file extension was added.

MAC01SM, Nov 1, 2020
  3. Kasta9383 Win User
    MP4 file opens on personal laptop as XML Document file

No, it shows as XML Document:

Files changed to .XML after copying to Ext. Hard Drive - Cannot Open!! [​IMG]

Files changed to .XML after copying to Ext. Hard Drive - Cannot Open!! [​IMG]

That's the Properties screen shot from the external memory drive. When I open the external drive on work laptop, type of file shows as MP4 but when I open on personal laptop it changes to XML Document. I tried to copy the file from external drive to my personal laptop but it just copies as XML *Sad

Kasta9383, Nov 1, 2020
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Toshiba Ext Hard Drive

Hi Tony,

I realize that you are facing the issue connecting the external hard drive in Windows 10, let me assist you.

To assist you better, let us know the following details.

• Which build of Windows 10 is installed in your system?
    • What is the make and model of your system?
    • Do other USB devices are getting connected to the system?

As an initial step if troubleshooting, I suggest you to try connecting the external hard drive through different USB ports and check if it is getting detected, also try connecting the same external hard drive to a different Windows 10 system.

Also, connect the external hard drive to the system and check whether the device is shown in Device Manager.

• Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press
      Enter key.
    • Click on View option and click on Show hidden devices.
    • Check whether the device is shown.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Files changed to .XML after copying to Ext. Hard Drive - Cannot Open!! - Similar Threads - Files changed XML

2. Cannot open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open external hard drive: I cannot access the external hard drive, getting this message: The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows. Try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows.. Nothing has changed on the computer since the last time I opened the...
  3. Cannot open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot open external hard drive: I cannot access the external hard drive, getting this message: The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows. Try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows.. Nothing has changed on the computer since the last time I opened the...
  4. Cannot open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. SSDs and hard drives cannot be changed after changing motherboard.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSDs and hard drives cannot be changed after changing motherboard.: I'd please like some help on my computer as none of my drives allow me to do anything on them. I have recently changed motherboards since the old on died. But the problem to changing a new motherboard is that I would have to reinstall windows and with that, I would loose...
  6. SSDs and hard drives cannot be changed after changing motherboard.

SSDs and hard drives cannot be changed after changing motherboard.: I'd please like some help on my computer as none of my drives allow me to do anything on them. I have recently changed motherboards since the old on died. But the problem to changing a new motherboard is that I would have to reinstall windows and with that, I would loose...
  7. SSDs and hard drives cannot be changed after changing motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image: I'm using Windows 10 version 1909. If I want to make a system image, can I format the external drive using NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT? Do all three formats work? 175544
  9. Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive: I can copy from, but not to ANY I have tried multiple external HDDs, ports and cables external drive. Whether I copy paste or drag drop, most times it will copy 1 or 2 files, then the copy stops, the drive disconnect chime occurs and explorer crashes. Most times I get...
  10. Problem when opening xml file

Problem when opening xml file: I have a small program, which uses a number of xml files. The program is not working properly and I suspect that is due to a problem with one of the xml files. When I click on any except one of those files it opens in a MS Edge (the default Windows 10 browser) window and all...