Windows 10: Files converted to shortcuts when moved to a folder

Discus and support Files converted to shortcuts when moved to a folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I wanted to declutter my desktop, so I created a new folder on the desktop then highlighted and dragged/dropped a bunch of stuff into that folder. None... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TakeThat2, Dec 21, 2018.

1. TakeThat2 Win User

Files converted to shortcuts when moved to a folder

I wanted to declutter my desktop, so I created a new folder on the desktop then highlighted and dragged/dropped a bunch of stuff into that folder. None of the things I dragged/dropped were shortcuts. I save most things directly to my desktop for easy access. So everything that I moved to that folder were root files.

This evening I opened that folder I had created, to discover that everything in it was a shortcut that would not open. When double clicking, an error pops up that says the file the shortcut refers to has been moved or altered and it asks if I'd like to delete the shortcut.

I thought I had auto backup turned on, but turns out I don't, so I can't do a restore to previous version to fix this issue.

Is there anything that can be done? Or does anyone know why this happened? I've never seen Windows do this before.

:)

TakeThat2, Dec 21, 2018

2. Is there any way to get the original icons to display again after the shortcuts are moved into a folder?

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Please be informed, the view of files, folders, shortcuts etc. will be set to small icons by default, due to which you will not be able to see the shortcut's icon.

I suggest you to follow these steps:

• Click on View
      menu in the menu bar.

• Select either of these options
      medium, large or extra-large icons and you will be able to see the icon of the shortcut.

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Dec 21, 2018
  3. terrace Win User
    Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Files converted to shortcuts when moved to a folder :)

terrace, Dec 21, 2018
  4. Pech_096 Win User

The option converting m4a files to wma files in windows 10 is disappeared

• What app are you using to convert the files?
    I don't use any app to convert the files. I just copy the m4a files from my music folder. Then I paste the m4a files in my android phone drive that connected to my laptop. Then a windows pop-up that shows the option converting m4a files to wma files appears.
    You can see the windows pop-up in below picture. Now the windows pop-up is disappeared.

Files converted to shortcuts when moved to a folder b4c1c11b-71d2-4bbb-a1ed-65ca65cf6f71.jpg

This picture was taken a screenshot from the video

• When did the issue start to happen?
    I found this problem last week. However, I didn't convert m4a files to wma files since May, 2017.

• Were there any changes made to your device prior to the issue?
    I updated windows several times prior to the issue.

• Have you done any troubleshooting steps so far?
    I haven't done any troubleshooting steps.

Pech_096, Dec 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Files converted to shortcuts when moved to a folder - Similar Threads - Files converted shortcuts

2. Word files vanish when moved to a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word files vanish when moved to a folder: I own a small business and part of that job is creating invoices. I have a specific folder in my computer that I keep all my invoices in. Last night I made up invoice no 030 and made sure to save it to my invoice folder. I often accidentally save them to my regular documents,...
  3. Word files vanish when moved to a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word files vanish when moved to a folder: I own a small business and part of that job is creating invoices. I have a specific folder in my computer that I keep all my invoices in. Last night I made up invoice no 030 and made sure to save it to my invoice folder. I often accidentally save them to my regular documents,...
  4. "Folder or a file in it is in use" when moving a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Folder or a file in it is in use" when moving a folder: I have posted on this topic before with no resolution. The problem has been around for at least a decade. It used to occur in File Explorer and still happens in OneDrive when you use the File Explorer interface offline. The problem is refusals from the software to change...
  5. Moving files/folders

Moving files/folders: Hello.I have been trying to move folders from C drive to my extended storage device D. i have followed the instructions given on a different forum, i right clicked on the folder, went to properties and then i wanted to search for location tab but i couldn't find it. only tabs...
  6. Moving the orginal file when drag and dropping a shortcut

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving the orginal file when drag and dropping a shortcut: Hello! Sadly google cant help me with this one so I thought why not open a post? But lets get to my question. I got a folder with shortcuts to differnt pictures which are in different folders. Is there a way to easy move the original data by drag and dropping the shortcut?...
  7. moving files in a folder

moving files in a folder: I'm trying to move files pictures around in a folder. In windows 7 I could just move them via the mouse. I've tried cutting & pasting but nothing happens. Any ideas?...
  8. Can't move, rename, delete file or folder, where is my file shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move, rename, delete file or folder, where is my file shortcut: Hello, I am frustrating out here... I have multiple problems. And I don't know if it is appropriate to put all questions in one thread, but let me do it. This is my first post. Sorry for it. Windows 10 version 1909 (OS Build 18363.959) So the problem occurs like the...
  9. Missing screenshot images converted to shortcut files

Missing screenshot images converted to shortcut files: Hi, This issue is similar to the issue asked in below question: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/missing-word-document-converted-to-an-internet/ef912062-9ddb-4cf1-8e8d-ad5f8daa64ef I had taken a couple screenshots and saved it to...
  10. Is there a keyboard shortcut to move a file up to its parent folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a keyboard shortcut to move a file up to its parent folder?: If not, some easy way to add it? submitted by /u/eternico [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ftkh5v/is_there_a_keyboard_shortcut_to_move_a_file_up_to/