Windows 10: FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

Discus and support FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE??? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Files created over many years were copied form PC WIN 7 to a portable hard drive then my new PC WIN10 File creation dates and modified dates changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by razza50k, Oct 29, 2020.

1. razza50k Win User

FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

Files created over many years were copied form PC WIN 7 to a portable hard drive then my new PC WIN10

File creation dates and modified dates changed to the date copy was done.

For my purposes this is disastrous.

One answer was I should have used "move" instead of "copy". My understanding is there is absolutely no difference.

Why does it do this and
    how can I remedy please?

There is a program called File Date Correctorthat is badly reviewed so hard to trust it and when I went to install a trial copy WIN 10 put up a warning saying not to trust it.

Any help is appreciated

:)

razza50k, Oct 29, 2020
  2. Ocramil Win User

Random "date modified" changes in copied files

Thanks for your answer.

I followed your advice and found that actually the issue seems to disappear when in safe mode (both F4 and F5). I tried copying some
    exe and js files and I got no date changes.

As soon as the PC was booted normally the issue came back again. Copying the very same files to the very same destinations I had their original "modified" dates immediately changed to today and copying them again, overwriting or deleting+copying, I had their
    original dates kept unchanged.

Moreover, I noticed that once overwritten and "fixed", the files seem somehow "switched" for good: if I try overwriting (or deleting+copying) them again the original dates are kept, as if someone had... learned the lesson, at least for a few minutes AND
    as long as I use the same destination folder.

Choosing another folder OR waiting a few minutes makes everything start over again.

Ocramil, Oct 29, 2020
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    How do I modify file date created?

Hello Robert,

You can modify the date created by copying a file. The file's created date becomes the modified date and the current date (when the file is copied) becomes the created date. You can copy a file on your PC to check.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jelo Sen, Oct 29, 2020
  4. Ocramil Win User

FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

Random "date modified" changes in copied files

I noticed, a few months ago, that sometimes my copied files (from Win10 x64 system disk C: to external NTFS USB disk D: used for manual backup purposes) do
    not keep the same "date modified" as the originals (as usual) but get that date automatically changed to the date (and time) of "today", i.e. the day when the copy operation is performed.

Which is obviously a mess, because the real "date modified" (on which comparison and backup procedures rely on) gets lost.

I got aware of such a weird thing thanks to a file-comparison program I've been using for many years in my manual backups, which suddenly marked some files in D (even if just copied!) as different from their counterparts in C because of the different dates.

While investigating, I noticed that this seems to happen in a quite random way. I can drag and drop an old file from C to D, see that the copied file has got today's date, drag and drop it immediately again (overwriting) and see that the
    copied file has kept the same date as the original. Sometimes I have to repeat the overwriting two or three or more times in a raw before I eventually get the same result.

So: the exact same user action produces quite different behaviours, which clearly isn't good at all, especially when coming from an operating system.

Furthermore, the problem seems to "prefer" some file
    kinds
    , such as "exe", "js", "ini", "bat" ...

I really did a lot of searches but sadly I did not find any useful help.

I hope someone here will be able to shed some light.

Ocramil, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

1. FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE??? - Similar Threads - FILES COPIED CHANGED

2. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  3. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  4. Created date on Copied file not that of source file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Created date on Copied file not that of source file: I need to copy PDF files attached to emails I use Thunderbird to local directories which i review using File Explorer. When I copy a file to a directory, the date created of the copied file becomes the date it was copied. Is there a way to have the "created date" for the...
  5. Easily copy files without changing file dates

Easily copy files without changing file dates: Another really annoying issue. I, like so many others if not everyone, want to copy files with Explorer and keep the original file dates. So simple and basic but it seems I have use e.g. Robocopy or some other third party command line process. Why can't Explorer "just do...
  6. Modified dated earlier than created date

in Windows 10 Support
    Modified dated earlier than created date: Several files Properties show that the Modified date is earlier than the created date, how's that? Version 1903 142343
  7. Can I have the creation dates and modified dates preserved on copying?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I have the creation dates and modified dates preserved on copying?: I want to backup some files, I find that if I just copy and paste, the copied files in the new location has the new creation and/or modification dates. Is it possible to preserve those "dates" as the original one? 128344
  8. Windows 10: Date, Date Created and Date Modified

Windows 10: Date, Date Created and Date Modified: For what purpose is Date field in File Manager? It was default in my new laptop. I tried to find reason why file date was not changing even though I changed it. I had to contact IT support and they told that Date is wrong field. I couldn't imagine that Date field shows...
  9. date on copies

in Windows 10 Customization
    date on copies: Is it possible to have the date on the bottom of the pages that I am printing? I have had this before with other printers. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/date-on-copies/8b4e1dfd-6dbb-4af2-a3b9-cc3e7b3c8fcf
  10. Copy files in the "Last Date Modified" sequence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy files in the "Last Date Modified" sequence: So I want to copy files from my PC to Android phone in the "Last Date Modified" sequence. That is, the file in that folder was modified the first should get copied first. Then the file that was modified second, should get copied second. Is there any way to do this?...