Windows 10: Files Disappeared After Changing User Name and Creating Homegroup

Discus and support Files Disappeared After Changing User Name and Creating Homegroup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, yesterday I decided to create a homegroup to share files and printer between my two desktops. I also decided to change the computer name and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by caljs, Jun 27, 2017.

1. caljs Win User

Files Disappeared After Changing User Name and Creating Homegroup

Hi, yesterday I decided to create a homegroup to share files and printer between my two desktops. I also decided to change the computer name and description to help me differentiate between computers: Computer 1 and Computer 2

I also ran Ccleaner and deleted temp files.

Homegroup was working fine, yesterday.

Now I can't find any files in the User folder: My documents, pictures, etc all gone.

Trying restoring to a restore point from yesterday morning, but I fear that may not bring back the files and folders.

I tried looking everywhere in C:/Users folder, couldn't find files. *cry

Please help?

Thanks

:)

caljs, Jun 27, 2017

2. Windows 10 1607 update destroyed my homegroup

I tried your sugestion. I was able to delte and create a new homegroup on the non-host machine. The other machine (original Host) doesn't see that homegroup. I still get, "No other homegroup PCs are available right now" or on the same machine, different
    user " you have been invited to join a homegroup". In this later case, when I try to join the new homegroup with its pasword I get message that windows no longer detects a homegroup on the network.

Better yet, when I brought the (original host) machine on line the homegroup I just created on the other machine disappered and it was asking me to join a home group. When I take the (original host) machine off line the homegroup reappears.

After trying to setup the homegroup several times, one username on computer A (the non host computer of the new group) let me join. Then I had to change the sharing options for the other users to get them on, except my user name (admin rights) shows that
    I'm sharing in control panel, but computer A doesn't show in file explorer.

=Then Computer B (host of new group) was getting"a new home group was detected on your network... join now". I tried to troublerrejointhe home group which was created on this machine, "Unable to create a home group on this computer". I ran home group and
    network shooter (couldn't detect any problems). Then all four user names had home group access except my user name on computer A, that user name on computer B is accessible.

What is going on? How do I get the one user name accessible on both computers through the home group?

LorenCarlson, Jun 27, 2017
  3. Tom5280 Win User
    Windows 10 Homegroup "You do not have permission to access <Network Share Name>"

I've been struggling to get simple network folder sharing working between my 4 home computers. All machines are running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with the latest creators update. All machines are joined successfully to the same homegroup and the homegroup
    troubleshooter is not finding any errors.

I am trying to share a folder with "specific users" in the homegroup. Folder sharing works fine is "Homegroup", but once I select specific users in the homegroup it fails with a "You do not have permission to access <Network Share Name>" error. The user
    accounts are all windows live accounts and I'm correctly logged into the computer that is trying to access the network share. Security permission appear to be appropriately set for the user to have read/write access after I share the file.

I have tried removing all the computers from the homegroup, deleting all files in the C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking folder, and then restarting all the machines and creating a new homegroup and then having all the
    machines join the homegroup. I've tried creating the homegroup from different PCs, and I've tried leaving two machines off while joining the other two and sharing. No change in the behavior described. I really need to limit the folder sharing to a limited
    set of users. Any ideas on additional steps to fix or troubleshoot this?

Tom5280, Jun 27, 2017
  4. caljs Win User

Turns out all files were in an external drive location, the quick access link to my documents just disappeared since i ran ccleaner.

caljs, Jun 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Files Disappeared After Changing User Name and Creating Homegroup - Similar Threads - Files Disappeared Changing

2. Disappearing file after name change MS Project

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappearing file after name change MS Project: I created a project in MS Project yesterday. Today, I went to open in file explorer because I wanted to change the name. After I changed the name, the file disappeared. However, it still shows in MS Project “recents” but does not open displaying an error. Please help!...
  3. Disappearing file after name change MS Project

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing file after name change MS Project: I created a project in MS Project yesterday. Today, I went to open in file explorer because I wanted to change the name. After I changed the name, the file disappeared. However, it still shows in MS Project “recents” but does not open displaying an error. Please help!...
  4. Disappearing file after name change MS Project

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change User File Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change User File Name: my system was set up buy the the people putting it together.my name was misspelled and i would like to correct it.this is a windows 11 system I was a some how able to change my profile name as the admin.in the registry it has my correct name - just the user file on C: Drive...
  6. Change User File Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change User File Name: my system was set up buy the the people putting it together.my name was misspelled and i would like to correct it.this is a windows 11 system I was a some how able to change my profile name as the admin.in the registry it has my correct name - just the user file on C: Drive...
  7. User File Name Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User File Name Change: I was wondering if there was any way to change the user file name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-file-name-change/3ccd48c5-aeb4-4eae-a7bb-6accc2165d01"
  8. Change User file name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571
  9. Change User file name

in Windows 10 Support
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571
  10. Change user name in file explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change user name in file explorer: New computer. Hastily set it up two days ago and have found that in file explorer there is a user named "Bogey" that appears to be the main user along with all of the associated files, and I have no clue how it happened that way. However, my first name, as administrator, is...