Windows 10: Files disappeared from folder (after restoring from Recycle bin)

Discus and support Files disappeared from folder (after restoring from Recycle bin) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my laptop. I cut and pasted a folder of photos from my phone to the desktop. I deleted a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Coro123, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Coro123 Win User

Files disappeared from folder (after restoring from Recycle bin)

I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my laptop.

I cut and pasted a folder of photos from my phone to the desktop.

I deleted a few photos and then restored one of them from the Recycle bin.

After doing this, every other photo in the folder disappeared, and the folder only contained the single file that I had restored! The only thing I can't related is the Windows 10 update which made files disappear, but this is a fresh install so can't be that.

Have tried numerous file recovery software but none seem to find the files with their original filename.

I also tried file recovery on the SD card but the only one that worked and had the original filenames is Wondershare Recoverit which requires a license. Can anyone suggest a free file recovery that might work there?

Cut and paste must be more difficult for recovery than simple delete? I have recovered files off SD cards/USB many times in the past quite easily - even if Shift+Delete was used!

:)

Coro123, Mar 2, 2020

2. Recycle Bin disappeared

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with recovering your accidentally deleted pictures as Recycle Bin has disappeared. I will certainly help you with the issue.

I suggest you to follow the instructions provided below and check if it helps.

Step 1:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Go to click View option.
    • Double click on Options, on the top right windows
    • Go to View tab.
    • Check on "Show hidden files, folders and drives ".
    • And uncheck on "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".
    • Click on Apply and
      OK
      button.
    Step 2:

• Now, go back to File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC, from right hand side panel.
    • Double click on C drive.
    • Right click on $Recycle.Bin
    • Select Send to option.
    • Click on Desktop (create shortcut).
    The recycle bin shortcut shall be created on the desktop.

Note: Check on "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" by follow step 1.

Hope this information helps.

Please get back to us with an update on the issue, we will be happy to help.

Ankit Rajput, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Jan Del Win User
    recycle bin

Hi George,

To prevent your files from being deleted from the Recycle Bin, we suggest increasing the maximum file size your Recycle Bin can keep by following the steps below:

• Right click on the Recycle Bin icon.
    • Under the Settings for selected location, select Custom size.
    • Fill up the box for your allotted maximum file size for your Recycle Bin.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Mar 2, 2020
  4. tmhanser Win User

Restoring Many Files from Recycle Bin

I'm stuck here - need some help.

I have an external USB drive that I keep my music files on, and I decided I wanted to clean up the hundreds of systems files left behind from Mac OS X. They're everywhere on this USB drive and I wanted to remove them, since I work with hidden system files turned ON in Windows 10.

I searched for all of these hidden files, and sent them to the Recycle Bin. There are SO MANY files that it literally chokes the best Dell Precision towers I work with when you open the Recycle Bin. I wanted to check one last time before I empty the Recycle Bin and make sure there isn't something I want to actually keep.

But for some reason I can't seem to see these files in the Recycle Bin - it says "working on it" but nothing ever changes, even after hours of waiting. There is a green progress bar across the top, but it never ends and the files never appear listed in the window below.

At this point I'm stuck and I can't empty the Recycle Bin and I can't restore these files. I suspect there are SO MANY files that the system can't list them or restore them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

tmhanser, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Files disappeared from folder (after restoring from Recycle bin) - Similar Threads - Files disappeared folder

2. How to restore a folder with no name from the recycle bin?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore a folder with no name from the recycle bin?: Windows 11 just did an update this morning. When my computer restarted, it had a folder on the desktop that had no name. I checked the contents of that folder and it was identical to my desktop. Since this was inside a folder on my desktop, I thought it was some bug from the...
  3. Restored from the Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restored from the Recycle Bin: My colleague claims she "Restored" a file from the Recycle Bin but the file didn't go back to the original folder. Is it possible the restored file overwrote and replaced a file of the same name in the origin folder, or something of that nature? What are the possible glitches...
  4. Restored from the Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restored from the Recycle Bin: My colleague claims she "Restored" a file from the Recycle Bin but the file didn't go back to the original folder. Is it possible the restored file overwrote and replaced a file of the same name in the origin folder, or something of that nature? What are the possible glitches...
  5. Restored from the Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Restoring a file folder from the recycling bin twice

Restoring a file folder from the recycling bin twice: I had two file folders in the recycling bin with the same name. One had 1.5 GB of files, the other had 3.5 GB of files. I restored them both from the recycling bin, but now I only see the one with 1.5 GB. I believe they were both in the same location. How can I access the...
  7. unable to restore files from recycle bin

unable to restore files from recycle bin: I'm unable to restore files from recycle bin it's not showing any error it' just not getting restore please help me!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-restore-files-from-recycle/ee642332-0e3b-4ad4-9f49-29bdc8227804
  8. file restore from recycle bin after perman removed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file restore from recycle bin after perman removed: How can I restore a deleted file after it as removed from the recycle bin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-restore-from-recycle-after-perman-removed/145cd457-d506-4c8e-aad5-be2f5a98a0e3
  9. Restore from Recycle Bin

Restore from Recycle Bin: I restored an excel document from the recycle bin. I cannot find it. I have looked at answers from other threds and none of them have helped. It was a file named Book 1 Version 1. It never had a location. It seems as when I restored it, it just disappeared. Help?!...
  10. Restoring Many Files from Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring Many Files from Recycle Bin: I'm stuck here - need some help. I have an external USB drive that I keep my music files on, and I decided I wanted to clean up the hundreds of systems files left behind from Mac OS X. They're everywhere on this USB drive and I wanted to remove them, since I work with...