Windows 10: Files disappearing after transfer from one hdd to another

Discus and support Files disappearing after transfer from one hdd to another in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, This is my first post here but i have been reading this forum for a while so I know you guy will do your best to help, so thanks in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wagner23, May 16, 2016.

1. wagner23 Win User

Files disappearing after transfer from one hdd to another

Hi guys,

This is my first post here but i have been reading this forum for a while so I know you guy will do your best to help, so thanks in advance.

I run a pc repair shop and have been having an issue where if I transfer files from any hard drive that is pugged into my desktop via sata to another hard drive also plugged into sata, the whole process of transfering finsihes but then after rebooting some or usually all of them have disappeared from the target drive. However if you were to check the available disk space it would appear that they are still on the drive. If i run chkdsk and repair errors the space is then freed up again and the files are still not there.

The reson I want to do it this way because I want to back up my customers files to my hard rive so I can reformat and reinstall windows on their laptops. The problem arrises when I want to transfer them back after reinstall. It only seems to occur when I put their hard drive back into the laptop and boot up. Once into windows the files are gone.

I cannot get my head around why this is happening. I have been using this method since windows xp all the way up to windows 8.1 and only seems to be happening on windows 10.

Really annoying as sometimes transfers can take 5 or 6 hours for it to then disappear. The only way i've found that works is if I copy the files from my desktop onto a usb hard drive then copy them from the usb hard drive to the laptop. Obviously this takes absolutely ages.

I should add that very occasionally it all works fine and there is no issue.
    Any suggestions?

:)

wagner23, May 16, 2016

2. How to prevent loss of HDD when copying many files from one drive to another

I've seen this issue posted many times over many years and have not read one solution yet.

When trying to copy many files between hard drives, the destination HDD disappears.

I have performed all the checks and balances to ensure the drives or files are not corrupt in any way but nothing seems to help.

The drives are either connected internally or externally and the same thing happens, whether going through a USB or SATA or internal bus, the destination drive disconnects and I have to perform a reboot for the drive to reconnect and appear again.

I purchased two brand new WD 2TB Black HDD's

Formatted to NTFS

Opened the HDD containing the files I want to transfer,

I choose one of the subfolders and perform a copy and paste,

after running for about 3 min, the destination drive is no longer available, it is gone from my list of hard drives .

It's very frustrating as I have tons of media files to transfer from one drive to another.

it seems to work if I copy one or two files at a time, then it remains stable but that's going to take me forever considering I have thousands of files all being media movies or music files.

If anyone reading this has found a solution, I would very much appreciate your input.

What about using a third party app like diskcopy from Acronis, that is what i will try next.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Chuck_Bytes, May 16, 2016
  3. Copying/moving speed slow

Well, I'm not using any usb drive.

I'm transferring files from one partition to another partition of my infernal hdd (Western Digital Blue) and facing this issue.

Thank you.

looking forward for further support.

Ali MunawarAbdullah, May 16, 2016
  4. socklosk Win User

I understand that there is a new virus, ransomware, that deletes files. You may want to wipe the target drive clean by reformatting before copying, and be sure to do a virus scan on the source disk.

socklosk, May 16, 2016
  5. wagner23 Win User
    Thanks for the response but as I mentioned in the above post, the whole reason I'm doing this is because I am reformatting the hard drive. Also its unlikely that 99% of my customers have the same ransomware. Pretty sure this is a windows 10 glitch as it only started happening to me immediately after installing windows 10. Already done fresh installs on my desktop to be sure and also gone back to windows 8.1 and it works fine on there. Really puzzling.

wagner23, May 16, 2016
  6. I ran into the same problem when I first started sharing files with Win10 from another drive -- and it kept happening until I disabled FastStartup in Win10. Apparently, Win10 was putting the shared drive into Hibernation when it was shutting down, and this caused all kinds of filesystem problems when I then accessed that shared drive from another OS.

Disable FastStartup and your filesystem problems should disappear.

Mark Phelps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Files disappearing after transfer from one hdd to another - Similar Threads - Files disappearing transfer

2. Transfer of files from one Windows version to another.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer of files from one Windows version to another.: I am using Win 10 on my pc and my office people are using win 7. If i send them Word files through email and if they download it in Win 7 then can they see the files without any corruption/changes??...
  3. Transfer of files from one Windows version to another.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer of files from one Windows version to another.: I am using Win 10 on my pc and my office people are using win 7. If i send them Word files through email and if they download it in Win 7 then can they see the files without any corruption/changes??...
  4. Transfer of files from one Windows version to another.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transferring files from one user to another

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transferring files from one user to another: I original set up windows under an account/email that has since be closed. I want to transfer all my files currently on the old user account to my new user account but can't seem to figure this out. Is there a way I can move my files, apps, and setting that are on the old...
  6. Transferring files from one onedrive account to another.

Transferring files from one onedrive account to another.: Hi! I recently changed my microsoft account, and I want to transfer all the files from the old onedrive account. I know there is a transfer flow available, but for some reason it doesn't work. Whenever I try to use it, I receive the following error message. Is there...
  7. Transferring files from one SSD to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring files from one SSD to another: Can I transfer regular files such as games, apps, and programs from one SSD to another? Like for an example, your default drive is Drive C. You download a file, app, or a program onto your computer and it installs into Drive D. Is there a way that you can move any kind of...
  8. Transferring files from one Microsoft account to another

Transferring files from one Microsoft account to another: This seems to be my month to contact Microsoft. So glad you're here to answer questions. Is it possible to transfer files from one Microsoft account to another? I prefer to have to handle only one account, but circumstances made it necessary to create a new account with an...
  9. files not showing after file transfer on a hdd on one pc but files show on another pc

files not showing after file transfer on a hdd on one pc but files show on another pc: i copy files (games, movies, picture) from my pc to my backup internal hdd, but when i connect the hdd to another pc, the files that i copy is not showing, and when i put it back to my pc the files that i copy is there, how to solve this? windows 10 64bit...
  10. Win 10 will not let transfer files from one ext hdd to another via des

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 will not let transfer files from one ext hdd to another via des: Hi, Can't seem to find a answer, I am trying to transfer video files from one external usb portable drive to another via a desktop PC, all using windows 10. I have tried bulk transfer's and individual transfers, sometime it will do individual files, but mostly it will not....