Files disappearing from my Documents folder

Discus and support Files disappearing from my Documents folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I found that certain files had disappeared from my Documents folder. Some, but not all, of them had also disappeared from the back-up copies... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by curt jugg, Jul 7, 2018.

1. curt jugg Win User

Yesterday I found that certain files had disappeared from my Documents folder. Some, but not all, of them had also disappeared from the back-up copies I keep in an external hard drive. I had made no changes to my computer and the files were there the day before.
    I did a normal System Restore but it failed, so I did a System Restore in Safe Mode and this was successful and all the files reappeared.
    Although I no longer have a problem, I am concerned that the same thing might happen again. Can anyone suggest what could have been the cause of the disappearance, please? Windows Defender has not shown up any viruses and I'm at a loss as to what could have happened. Grateful for any suggestions.

:)

curt jugg, Jul 7, 2018
  2. silkstone Win User

Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

Files disappearing from my Documents folder upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Jul 7, 2018
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    documents files and folders

Hi Paul,

For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• What were the steps you've tried to reverse the alphabetization of files and folder name?
    • Can you provide us a sample screenshot of the issue?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Jul 7, 2018
  4. Prabhavathi Patil Win User

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Files disappearing from my Documents folder - Similar Threads - Files disappearing Documents

2. Microsoft Word and Excel 2010 files disappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Word and Excel 2010 files disappeared: I unintentionally uninstalled Windows 10 yesterday by restoring Windows 7. I immediately reinstalled Windows 10 but now my Microsoft Word and Excel 2010 shortcuts don't allow me access and say they are not installed and I can't find where I can get them back....
  3. Files scanned to 4.7GB DVD disappeared from disc

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Files scanned to 4.7GB DVD disappeared from disc: Hi Guys I scanned documents directly on to a DVD. I viewed the files on the DVD to look at a file, everything was fine at that point. Then I viewed the files again a second time, they had gone. The 'files waiting to be burnt' or similar message came up, but ignored it;...
  4. minidump file disappeared

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    minidump file disappeared: on 04/12/2017 around 16 h I had a bsod but I was not with my laptop so I did not see the message of the bsod. I checked the directory minidump and I saw there was created a file. Today I checked again the minidump directory and the directory was empty! the file is not in...
  5. HDD Disappeared from File Explorer after upgrade to Ver 1709

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Disappeared from File Explorer after upgrade to Ver 1709: One of my drives disappeared from the left hand side pane of file explorer (see image). [img] It is categorised as a removable disk like the other HDDs and I used the registry hack found here Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 I can see...
  6. Outlook 2016 pst file disappeared. How to find/recover/reconstruct

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016 pst file disappeared. How to find/recover/reconstruct: Wife's computer... Last Thursday she reported that the display of emails in her Inbox was blank. Subsequently found that the pst file named <her email address>.com(1).pst was not in the folder. It showed in Quick Access, date last accessed, file size of around 21GB, but...
  7. Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open: I am using 2 laptops running windows 10 pro build 10240. I save my files (MS Word & Excel) directly on a Seagate External USB Drive (2 TB) which is named "M Drive" using Disk Manager. Files which are saved to the external hdd from 1 laptop randomly disappear when the...
  8. Music files have disappeared from my hard drive.

in Windows 10 Support
    Music files have disappeared from my hard drive.: Two days ago I was simultaneously listening to music on the Zune software and unzipping files using winrar to add to my collection as I have done thousands of times before without a problem. Suddenly my music stopped playing and the Zune software gave me an error code that I...
  9. Windows 10 All Files in Documents Folder Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 All Files in Documents Folder Disappeared: Hi, I have used Windows 8 for a while and I recently updated it to Windows 10. After installing Windows 10, I downloaded a lot of files as well as played a lot of games without logging in to my Microsoft account. I only recently logged into my Microsoft account and after I...
  10. Files Disappeared After Changing User Name and Creating Homegroup

in Windows 10 Support
    Files Disappeared After Changing User Name and Creating Homegroup: Hi, yesterday I decided to create a homegroup to share files and printer between my two desktops. I also decided to change the computer name and description to help me differentiate between computers: Computer 1 and Computer 2 I also ran Ccleaner and deleted temp files....