Windows 10: Files disappearing from my Documents folder

Discus and support Files disappearing from my Documents folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I found that certain files had disappeared from my Documents folder. Some, but not all, of them had also disappeared from the back-up copies... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by curt jugg, Jul 7, 2018.

1. curt jugg Win User

Files disappearing from my Documents folder

Yesterday I found that certain files had disappeared from my Documents folder. Some, but not all, of them had also disappeared from the back-up copies I keep in an external hard drive. I had made no changes to my computer and the files were there the day before.
    I did a normal System Restore but it failed, so I did a System Restore in Safe Mode and this was successful and all the files reappeared.
    Although I no longer have a problem, I am concerned that the same thing might happen again. Can anyone suggest what could have been the cause of the disappearance, please? Windows Defender has not shown up any viruses and I'm at a loss as to what could have happened. Grateful for any suggestions.

:)

curt jugg, Jul 7, 2018
  2. silkstone Win User

Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

Files disappearing from my Documents folder upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Jul 7, 2018
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    documents files and folders

Hi Paul,

For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• What were the steps you've tried to reverse the alphabetization of files and folder name?
    • Can you provide us a sample screenshot of the issue?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Jul 7, 2018
  4. Files disappearing from my Documents folder

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 7, 2018
Thema:

Files disappearing from my Documents folder

1. Files disappearing from my Documents folder - Similar Threads - Files disappearing Documents

2. All my desktop file and folder disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my desktop file and folder disappeared: All my desktop file and folder disappeared. Application are there. File name extension and hidden folder view is checked. This was all a sudden after reboot, no update or new application were installed. Rebooted to repair VPN connection....
  3. My Pictures and Documents folder are in my Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Pictures and Documents folder are in my Downloads folder: I seem to have duplication of folders. Under "This PC" I have a normal looking folder structure and clicking on those folders takes me to the appropriate files. For example: "This PC > Documents" has "Acrobat, Adobe, and AirDroid" as the first three folders. If i navigate to...
  4. DLETED FİLES AND DOCUMENTS FROM MY PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DLETED FİLES AND DOCUMENTS FROM MY PC: My documents from C:// are deleted. also deleted from G://. How can I restore my documents . Yesterday night, there was no problem 17/10/2018. Morning I opned my PC and couldn't find my documents. Mr. Ibrahim YILDIRIM Business Development & Finance Manager ZDF Otomotiv...
  5. My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files

in Windows 10 Support
    My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files: Why is the My Documents folder on Windows 10, suddenly reporting 50 GB and around 24,000 files, when actual size is about 950 GB, and 20 times that many files? I know it is that big. Trying to copy My Documents to a 500GB drive tells me there is 950 GB discovered and cannot...
  6. Folders and Files Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and Files Disappeared: I have a couple of folders containing files I have not looked at in over a year. When I went to look at them, I cannot find them ?? Does Windows 10 automatically archive older unused files or folders ?? Thanks, rs 30521
  7. Restoring my Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring my Documents folder: Hello, I was just in the process of moving my Documents Library from my C drive to my D drive when I made a mistake: In the Properties window, under the location tab, I meant to create the new location D:\Documents, but instead I just left it as D:\ Now my D drive...
  8. My Documents folder is missing

in Windows 10 Support
    My Documents folder is missing: Hello all I have just formatted my PC last Monday, and i have installed drivers and Steam and American Truck Simulator. I know that my saves and mods are in My Documents folder and ATS loads still fine after the folder is missing. When I go to C:\Users\drfee there is a...
  9. Disappearance of my files from the computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappearance of my files from the computer: Hello I do not speak English I hope that the idea you up well (Disappearance of my files from the computer) For the first time since the installation of Windows has been pressure on signout After some time. I wanted to use the computer. The log on again But The...
  10. Windows 10 All Files in Documents Folder Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 All Files in Documents Folder Disappeared: Hi, I have used Windows 8 for a while and I recently updated it to Windows 10. After installing Windows 10, I downloaded a lot of files as well as played a lot of games without logging in to my Microsoft account. I only recently logged into my Microsoft account and after I...