Windows 10: Files dont sort the way they used to?

Discus and support Files dont sort the way they used to? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; A little while ago I was in my file explorer developing my server when I clicked a few buttons I didn't know the series of. I am sure this is a simple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gavan B, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Gavan B Win User

Files dont sort the way they used to?

A little while ago I was in my file explorer developing my server when I clicked a few buttons I didn't know the series of. I am sure this is a simple fix but I searched and could not find an answer. right now they are sorted into what kind of file they are, I do not want this and just want them all together sorted by date/name. I will attach picture of what it looks like and see if you guys can help me. Instead of having it like this I just want it to all be together without the type of file it is separating them. Thanks :

:)

Gavan B, Oct 5, 2021
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Oct 5, 2021
  3. sorting jpg files

Hi

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you let us know, are you trying to sort in files in Explorer or Photos app?

If you are sorting in explorer, follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open the folder in which files are stored.
    2. Right click on empty space of window.
    3. Select Sort by and click on
      Type

If you are trying to sort in Photos app by extension, we would suggest you to provide your feedback in
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app
    as there is no option available to sort by extension in the app. However you can sort by Modified, Newest, Oldest, and Alphabetical.

If you want to look only for the files with .jpg extension in photos app, you may type
    *.jpg in the search bar.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Oct 5, 2021
  4. Jose Est Win User

How to desegregate Folders/Files in File Explorer Sort By Functions?

Hi,

Sorting the layout of each folder is really dependent on the user's preference, that is why Windows has a variety of ways of sorting files and folders.

To sort files and folders alphanumerically together, we can try grouping it by name.

To do this, follow the steps below:

• On the folder that you want to sort, click View.
    • Look for Group by and left-click on it.
    • Select Name.

Files dont sort the way they used to? d1b579c8-659a-4dff-8380-20a72d125af9.png

Let us know if you need anything else.

Jose Est, Oct 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Files dont sort the way they used to? - Similar Threads - Files dont sort

2. Is There a way to sort files by the last character?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is There a way to sort files by the last character?: Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename.See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last.File0001File0001AFile0002File0002AFile0003File0001ABelow is an actual example of the video file names i want to search. there are...
  3. Is There a way to sort files by the last character?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is There a way to sort files by the last character?: Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename.See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last.File0001File0001AFile0002File0002AFile0003File0001ABelow is an actual example of the video file names i want to search. there are...
  4. Is There a way to sort files by the last character?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files dont sort the way they used to?

Files dont sort the way they used to?: A little while ago I was in my file explorer developing my server when I clicked a few buttons I didn't know the series of. I am sure this is a simple fix but I searched and could not find an answer. right now they are sorted into what kind of file they are, I do not want...
  6. Files dont sort the way they used to?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files dont sort the way they used to?: A little while ago I was in my file explorer developing my server when I clicked a few buttons I didn't know the series of. I am sure this is a simple fix but I searched and could not find an answer. right now they are sorted into what kind of file they are, I do not want...
  7. Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?: Any way to do this or am I limited to only date, size, and type? submitted by /u/greatbuy99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kjf5e8/is_there_any_way_to_sort_files_any_way_i_want_in/
  8. Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10?

Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10?: Found this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-way-to-freely-sort-files-in-a-folder-without/ee0e6aad-3e65-4ebe-b027-293629329665 @Melchizedek Qui 1. How could we restore the BAGS or replace them to get the auto-search back if we want to have the...
  9. Any way to sort files with dates in the name?

Any way to sort files with dates in the name?: I have a folder of Georges Braque's works, all of them JPG images with their titles formatted "Title-Year of creation-Painting medium". I want to sort these paintings by their year, but the year is in the middle of the title, not the front. The dates are all four digit years...
  10. is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date

is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date: When I download a file and go to email I would like the files to be organized by date (todays date) is that possible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-default-file-explore-to-sorting/10b9d017-9323-44df-8fcb-6d5d1e49da16"