Windows 10: Files explorer not responding when i interact with files

Discus and support Files explorer not responding when i interact with files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was downloading files for work as usual, went to extract the zip file but the second i clicked on it the entire files explorer just stops responding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dr.DerpyDerp, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Files explorer not responding when i interact with files

I was downloading files for work as usual, went to extract the zip file but the second i clicked on it the entire files explorer just stops responding and hits me with the blue circle. It takes far too long and i end the task with task manager. After that my whole desktop stops responding. I restart windows explorer and it fixes it but i still have the files explorer problem. I cant interact with any files, regardless of the type the whole files explorer stops working. Ive tried many different ways such as restarting files explorer, doing a check-up with a cmd command any many other thing but all were in vain. Is there any way to fix this?

:)

Dr.DerpyDerp, Feb 4, 2021

2. Windows 10 File Explorer freezes and is (Not Responding) when I interact with Microsoft Office files

When I interact with certain Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. files File Explorer freezes and enters a state of Not Responding. Even if I only click on the files once to select, not even opening. I am able to open the files without any problem directly from
    the respective app such as in the Recent Files list or File>Open, but when done through File Explorer they cause it to freeze. No other file types cause this problem.

Some Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files do open, usually ones which haven't been edited in 4 or more years though, but not ones which are more recent than that. I have cleared the history of file explorer, repaired and restarted my Office apps, tried Event
    Viewer, and run disk optimization from my McAphee app. Nothing is working.

TrevorMarlin1, Feb 4, 2021
  3. File Explorer Not Responding

Hi,

I am following very clear instructions online in order to fix File Explorer Not Responding on my brand new computer. Instructions I am following are at this link: https://www.****/knowledge/windows-10-file-explorer-wont-open-solved/

I can get as far as Step 4 where I try to right click on Quick Access within the File Explorer but because it is Not Responding this action does not work and I have to close File Explorer.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get around this when File Explorer is Not Responding?

Alternatively, should I consider storing larger files in a different drive of the computer?

A little background: I have had this computer that came loaded with Windows 10 for about 1 month. The File Explorer would not respond when I first started using it (transferring in new files), and again recently when I have tried saving several (large) design
    files from Illustrator. This may be the culprit for it's bogging down; either that or perhaps because I just deleted 1000's of emails off of gmail? My text display size is at 100%.

Thank you.

ps I am not very computer savvy so please dumb down your responses!

CarlieBall, Feb 4, 2021
  4. J. Raúl Win User

Files explorer not responding when i interact with files

File Explorer not responding problem.

Try this steps because I think it's related with quick access in file explorer:

1. Open a new Explorer window.
    2. Click View in the ribbon.
    3. Click Options.
    4. Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    5. Click OK.
    Now it should hopefully work fine.

J. Raúl, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Files explorer not responding when i interact with files

1. Files explorer not responding when i interact with files - Similar Threads - Files explorer responding

2. File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Not Responding: I can't upload or attach anything from file explorer regardless of browser. I can open File Explorer on its own but it doesn't respond when I want to upload files online or attach files to email. I tried changing to Microsoft Edge and Opera, and it's still the same....
  3. File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Not Responding: I can't upload or attach anything from file explorer regardless of browser. I can open File Explorer on its own but it doesn't respond when I want to upload files online or attach files to email. I tried changing to Microsoft Edge and Opera, and it's still the same....
  4. File Explorer not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not responding: I have a 6 year old Lenovo desktop running Windows 10 with build 19041. Yesterday I installed a second hard disk that I plan to use for backups. My primary disk is a 2tb sata disk while this one is a 500mg sata drive from previous pc where it was the primary drive and ran...
  5. File Explorer not responding

File Explorer not responding: I have a 6 year old Lenovo desktop running Windows 10 with build 19041. Yesterday I installed a second hard disk that I plan to use for backups. My primary disk is a 2tb sata disk while this one is a 500mg sata drive from previous pc where it was the primary drive and ran...
  6. Explorer Crashing when Interacting with Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer Crashing when Interacting with Files: Hello! I hope you are having a nice day.I was interacting with a .mp4 file, and decided to scan it with Malwarebytes.Due to this, explorer restarted due to some issue which I don't know why.This has happened twice and before I installed a .exe that was malware but didn't run...
  7. Explorer Crashing when Interacting with Files

Explorer Crashing when Interacting with Files: Hello! I hope you are having a nice day.I was interacting with a .mp4 file, and decided to scan it with Malwarebytes.Due to this, explorer restarted due to some issue which I don't know why.This has happened twice and before I installed a .exe that was malware but didn't run...
  8. Explorer.exe Not responding when interacting with files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer.exe Not responding when interacting with files: So I recently enountered this problem that when I try to drag, open or even delete file explorer just freeze it's self and now I can't access my files because of this problem...
  9. Windows File Explorer keeps crashing when I interact with any files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows File Explorer keeps crashing when I interact with any files: Windows File Explorer keeps crashing when I interact with any files (Ex. Pressing on a video, using the blue square thing to select some files, right-clicking a file) The cursor starts loading every time I do that and the only way out is by restarting Windows File Explorer...
  10. Windows 10 File Explorer freezes and is (Not Responding) when I interact with Microsoft...

Windows 10 File Explorer freezes and is (Not Responding) when I interact with Microsoft...: When I interact with certain Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. files File Explorer freezes and enters a state of Not Responding. Even if I only click on the files once to select, not even opening. I am able to open the files without any problem directly from the respective app...