Windows 10: Files/Folders not showing up in Select Folder Dialogue Box through Windows Defender

Discus and support Files/Folders not showing up in Select Folder Dialogue Box through Windows Defender in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have not found an answer to this so far on discussion boards so I hope someone has it here. I have upgraded from a HDD to a Samsung EVO 860 SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by belinda502, May 29, 2019.

1. Files/Folders not showing up in Select Folder Dialogue Box through Windows Defender

I have not found an answer to this so far on discussion boards so I hope someone has it here.

I have upgraded from a HDD to a Samsung EVO 860 SSD drive.

All my folders and files are appearing in Windows Explorer.

However when I open select file/folder through Windows Defender to run a custom scan on a specific file there are no files showing up in my folders. When I select the downloads folder - the only folder showing up in Samsung Magician Installer - no other downloads are showing up but there are visible in Windows Explorer.

So far I have tried going into Windows Explorer and selecting 'show hidden files/folders'.

I have gone into control panel - indexing options and rebuilt the index.

Neither of this solutions worked.

All the files/folders are visible when I select the add attachment on gmail - at the moment, it just seems to be Select Folder dialogue box that is affected specifically via Windows Defender.

:)

belinda502, May 29, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Files/Folders not showing up in Select Folder Dialogue Box through Windows Defender :)

Frogger, May 29, 2019
  3. Folder Locks

With windows XP professional you can make it so only your user account can view folders and files you encrypt. I think that only works for NTFS though although you might try it with a CD.

Right click on the file or folder and select properties. Click the advanced button and check the encrypt file box.

Polaris573, May 29, 2019
  4. Files/Folders not showing up in Select Folder Dialogue Box through Windows Defender

Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, May 29, 2019
Thema:

Files/Folders not showing up in Select Folder Dialogue Box through Windows Defender

1. Files/Folders not showing up in Select Folder Dialogue Box through Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Files Folders showing

2. Unable to select file/ folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to select file/ folder: From today , when ever I select a file or folder , "Do you want to move this file / folder to recycle bin ?" is asked .instead of allowing me to proceed furth* Moved from Community Center...
  3. Unable to select file/ folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to select file/ folder: From today , when ever I select a file or folder , "Do you want to move this file / folder to recycle bin ?" is asked .instead of allowing me to proceed furth* Moved from Community Center...
  4. Sort files in selected folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort files in selected folders?: Hi,I'd like to be able to sort files in highlighted folders so not globally rather than have to go into each folder separately and sort them?Is this possible with windows 10 or is there an App for this ?Example 1 Movie folderFOLDERS sorted by NAMEFILES in folders sorted by...
  5. I get this dialogue box when I try to delete these file folders.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I get this dialogue box when I try to delete these file folders.: I am the admin for my computer, but it says I need to provide Admin permission??? I hit continue, but nothing happens.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-get-this-dialogue-box-when-i-try-to-delete-these/20a90bbc-f5b4-4293-83a8-9001199f2332
  6. Window not closing (able to select files and folders from the desktop through the window)...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window not closing (able to select files and folders from the desktop through the window)...: i was playing minecraft and wanted to go to a new world after getting off of a 1.13 server but after clicking singleplayer panicked after noticing i had 1.14and spammed the close window button (Red "X") and then instead of the window closing it froze and i could select...
  7. Dialogue box pop up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialogue box pop up: I keep receiving a reminder 'googledrivesync.exe is downloading from OneDrive' with 3 files available. They don't even start to download with only button available to 'Cancel'. I have cancelled, dialogue disappears then same dialogue box returns within a few minutes....
  8. Files not showing up in a folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files not showing up in a folder.: I wanted to get some files off my old broken laptop so i bought a hard drive to usb adapter. But when I go to G:\Users\my user\Pictures the folder is empty. is there a reason why if anyone could tell me it would be a big help....
  9. Sort files in selected folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort files in selected folders: Hi, i sort files by opening the folder then right click sort by name(descending) is there a way when i select several folders to sort the files in each folder by name(descending) in one click? 81188
  10. No file transfer dialogue shows up

in Windows 10 Support
    No file transfer dialogue shows up: I don't know when this first started happening, I just assumed stuff was transferring fast enough for it to not show up (only really moved small things). However, I got a small-ish SSD as a secondary drive for a few important things and want to test the general speed of it......