Windows 10: Files gone missing from Desktop???

Discus and support Files gone missing from Desktop??? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a folder structure sitting in my desktop directory that contains about 40 sub directories, one for each of my past clients. Within each of these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dra_9624, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Files gone missing from Desktop???

I have a folder structure sitting in my desktop directory that contains about 40 sub directories, one for each of my past clients. Within each of these sub-directories there are other sub-directories.

A few days ago I went into one of these sub-directories and found that almost all of the sub-directories are empty! The structure as a whole is there and within each of those, the next level of directories are there, but any and all files are gone!

I haven't found anything helpful online about this, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear this. Almost 2 years of past documentation and files are gone!

p.s. I know I need to back up my drive going forward. I have one backup image that I can use to restore some of this, but it doesn't contain everything.

submitted by /u/dra_9624
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dra_9624, Jun 9, 2020

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jun 9, 2020
  3. Windows 10 missing desktop files

Hi Adriane,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

• Did you do a clean installation of Windows or upgrade to Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can find your desktop files.

• Open This PC.
    • Double click on C: drive.
    • Open Users > double click on your user name.
    • Open Desktop and check if you can find missing files.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 9, 2020
  4. MohanC Win User

Files gone missing from Desktop???

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

Files gone missing from Desktop???

1. Files gone missing from Desktop??? - Similar Threads - Files gone missing

2. Files missing from my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files missing from my desktop: Hello, When I try to upload pictures from my desktop to Facebook page files do not appear. If I go into my desktop outside of FB the files are there! Why won't they show up when I am trying to upload from FB page?...
  3. Files on Desktop and Pictures gone!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files on Desktop and Pictures gone!: I lost All my pictures downloaded from my iPhone that I have been keeping in the 'Picture' folder. ALL my setup on my desktop are gone. This happening after the update, NOT upgrade. I don't backup on Cloud thought my computer is safe enough to save all my pictures. I...
  4. Desktop files are gone

Desktop files are gone: Ok, so I really need help with this one, massively. My computer updated to the newer version of Windows 10 without me asking. I noticed all my folders were gone from the desktop. I managed to find them in my desktop folder, which had my old desktop items but not my new ones,...
  5. Exe files gone missing

Exe files gone missing: so my pc ran into a problem , i had to fix it with system restore . at first everything seems normal and i saw my desktop without any icons in it except the preinstalled apps , then i checked my files installed ... ALL the files is fine EXCEPT ALL OF MY EXE FILES ARE GONE...
  6. Deleted files on the desktop gone?

Deleted files on the desktop gone?: Hi, I need your help. I did a file folder on the desktop a long time ago, which I accidentally deleted then, through the recycle bin which I also emptied. But I didn't know that I saved it on the desktop and not a folder on the hard disk. What can I do? Is very important...
  7. Desktop files gone with OneDrive

Desktop files gone with OneDrive: One day I was scrolling through YouTube and stumbled upon a Windows 10 opt. video and decided to follow the steps. The video showed a program that debloats Windows 10 and it had an option to remove OneDrive so I clicked on it, because I didn't know it was linked with any of...
  8. Files just gone Missing..

Files just gone Missing..: I had a bunch of softwares nearly 60GB which has now just gone missing, the space is still occupied by the files, But the parent folder is just not visible. It's not hidden I have checked that and I even ran a recovery software to check for lost files and it just didn't find...
  9. Moved files gone missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved files gone missing: I got a new laptop today which came with Windows 10 which I've never used before, so everything's still very new to me. I've been trying to move files off my previous laptop which runs Windows 7. I've spent a few hours collecting everything I need onto an ext. hard drive,...
  10. Desktop file 'gone'

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop file 'gone': After the latest updates (2 days ago) I got the message that backing up & synchronizing in Edge is no longer possible because the map Desktop cannot be traced, and would I be so kind to "Search or Stop synchronizing." A Search only results in "Desktop - This map is empty"....