Windows 10: Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer

Discus and support Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This morning I noticed my recent files section on the home tab of the file explorer included a bunch of files I hadn't opened in months. They all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RecentFilesWeirdness, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer

This morning I noticed my recent files section on the home tab of the file explorer included a bunch of files I hadn't opened in months. They all appear to have been opened at the exact same time 5:55pm 5:54pm, 5:50pm, and 10 to 15 at a time have the exact same time stamp. It seems to be the same collection of about 40 documents that keep getting updated with new time stamps. However, when you hover over the date, the "Date Modified" is the true date I last interacted with the document. They were all files that had been stored in my OneDrive. It's quite unnerving and I took all the precautio

:)

RecentFilesWeirdness, Nov 23, 2023
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Nov 23, 2023
  3. eidairaman1, Nov 23, 2023
  4. slozomby Win User

Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer

Recent File List

to prevent it from autopopulating try making the reg key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List read only

slozomby, Nov 23, 2023
Thema:

Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer

1. Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Files haven't opened

2. Files in File Explorer will not appear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files in File Explorer will not appear: I have windows 10 on my laptop. Recently, I have been trying to view, move and copy my files in File Explorer. Most of these files are on a USB flash drive, but sometimes when I try to view them, nothing appears in the folder. At the same time, in the path bar at the top of...
  3. Files in File Explorer will not appear

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in File Explorer will not appear: I have windows 10 on my laptop. Recently, I have been trying to view, move and copy my files in File Explorer. Most of these files are on a USB flash drive, but sometimes when I try to view them, nothing appears in the folder. At the same time, in the path bar at the top of...
  4. Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer: This morning I noticed my recent files section on the home tab of the file explorer included a bunch of files I hadn't opened in months. They all appear to have been opened at the exact same time 5:55pm 5:54pm, 5:50pm, and 10 to 15 at a time have the exact same time stamp. It...
  5. Why did Word files I didn't open in months appear in recent files list in Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did Word files I didn't open in months appear in recent files list in Windows Explorer?: On the Home page on Windows Explorer in Windows 11, I noticed that Word files I haven't opened in months or years appear in the recent files list. Three days ago there were several Word files showing they were opened the same time. Today, there were several Word files at...
  6. Why did Word files I didn't open in months appear in recent files list in Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did Word files I didn't open in months appear in recent files list in Windows Explorer?: On the Home page on Windows Explorer in Windows 11, I noticed that Word files I haven't opened in months or years appear in the recent files list. Three days ago there were several Word files showing they were opened the same time. Today, there were several Word files at...
  7. I recently updated windows and these files appeared in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I recently updated windows and these files appeared in file explorer.: I'm not sure if these files appeared because of the Cumulative update preview for windows 10 21h2 for x64-based systems KB5016688 or if they are from something else but they appeared around the time I started updating. Here is a screen shot of the files I'm talking about....
  8. Why would a file I haven't opened be listed under Recent Files in File Explorer?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why would a file I haven't opened be listed under Recent Files in File Explorer?: Why would File Explorer show a file name under Recent Files that I haven't opened? The file is from a deep folder tree so not an errant click on my part. I've run a full virus scan plus a remote scan and both check out okay....
  9. Weird file appearing on windows explorer "recent files"

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird file appearing on windows explorer "recent files": Hi everyone my name is Rod and I have a weird "problem" and not sure if I should worry if at all, it's my first time posting here and if I make any mistakes I apologize in advance. I recently did a fresh install of win10 x64 on my HTPC and everything works fine except for...
  10. File Explorer and Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and Recent Files: At work, I'll open files on a network path that is only accessible at work, e.g. \\mywork.org\shares\file.xyz These files will appear in my recent list when opening File Explorer (Win+E). The problem I have is at home where that network path is not accessible, and the...