Windows 10: Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Discus and support Files in C: drive automatically compressing? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, yesterday i noticed lots of folders and shortcuts having 2 blue arrows on the top right of the icon. This means the file is compressed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chbakol2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Chbakol2 Win User

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Hello everyone, yesterday i noticed lots of folders and shortcuts having 2 blue arrows on the top right of the icon. This means the file is compressed in the properties. But how do i make it stop? Every new file/folder i add automatically compresses and i don't want it to.

It isn't an urgent question, but it is pretty annoying seeing the arrows on the icons.

If anyone knows how to fix it, please let me know! Thanks!

The above is an old post but it is happening to my PCs now and drives me crazy. The old post does not give a solution.

Can anybody help?

:)

Chbakol2, Jan 3, 2019

2. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Jan 3, 2019
  3. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Hi Marvin,

You can set the compression state of folders and compress or decompress files by using My Computer or a command-line program called Compact. We recommend following these steps to set a folder in a decompression state:

• Start Windows Explorer . In the left pane, select the folder you want to compress or decompress.

• On the File menu, click Properties to display the
      Properties dialog box.

• On the General tab, click Advanced .

• In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, clear the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click
      OK .

• In the Properties dialog box, click OK .

• To keep existing files or subfolders in the NTFS folders in their current compression state, click
      Apply changes to this folder only , and then click OK .

Let us know if you need further help.

Darian Tab, Jan 3, 2019
  4. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

I have followed your steps to no avail. New folders and already existing folders are still compressed even though the C: that option is unchecked.

Marvin Alcala, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Files in C: drive automatically compressing? - Similar Threads - Files drive automatically

2. Compressing C:\ drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compressing C:\ drive: My system - NVME SSD, i7-8750H CPU and 16 GB RAM. Would there be a "noticeable" performance hit if I compress my C: drive? (I have already compressed my D: and E: drives, but maybe C:\ is a special case since it contains the system files and would therefore affect everything...
  3. Stop compressing files automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop compressing files automatically: My PC got pretty low on storage a few months ago and started compressing files by itself. I have now got around 200gb free and would like it to stop. Has anyone got any potential solutions to stop this, please? I have already looked at the properties of the C drive and the...
  4. Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?: Now that Reserve Storage has reduced storage available to about 2 GB I am begining to experience some issues, even having done my usual cleaning routines. There might still be something more to gain from cleaning up further in Storage Sense. Download Files appears to have...
  5. Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?

in Windows 10 Support
    Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?: Now that Reserve Storage has reduced storage available to about 2 GB I am begining to experience some issues, even having done my usual cleaning routines. There might still be something more to gain from cleaning up further in Storage Sense. Download Files appears to have...
  6. Files in C: drive automatically compressing? Issue back again?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files in C: drive automatically compressing? Issue back again?: Okay, I am getting really pissed. This morning I opened my pc to find out Windows 10 decided to compress all my files on my pc. I never asked for this and I have never been asked. Why? Where is the logic behind it and where am I as a customer I am getting tired of all...
  7. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in C: drive automatically compressing?: Have seen this on two machines now. Wake machine to find all files on C drive compressed. Dual blue arrows on every file and folder. Go to settings on the drive and find Compress File is checked. None of our computers have ever had compression set as it messes with some of...
  8. Files in C drive automatically compressing

Files in C drive automatically compressing: Every new file I make is automatically compressed and have those 2 annoying blue arrows on them. Looked on the forums and got no answer that solved how to stop it. They all either said uncheck the "compress this drive to save disk space" box on the properties of the drive,...
  9. Automatic file compression

Automatic file compression: Today my laptop seems to have automatically compressed all the files and folders on my desktop. I've been able to decompress them with no problems but now every time I save a new file, windows compresses it. Does anyone know how to turn this automatic compression off? I have...
  10. Every File/Folder in C: Drive is compressed....

Every File/Folder in C: Drive is compressed....: So this is very annoying and i don't want to have to go through every single folder/file... EVERY folder and de-compress it. how do i fix this? My entire C: Drive is compressed (with the two blue arrows)... I dont understand how it happened, and i don't understand how to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows automatically compress files

2. compress files c drive

3. windows file in c drie

4. microsoft windows 10 automatically compressing files and folders,
  5. do i want my c drive compressed,
  6. win 10 compress this drive to save disc space?,
  7. windows 10 automatically compressing files,
  8. compressing c drive changes to drive only or drive and subfilders files,
  9. do i want to compress my c drive and all folders,
  10. why has windows10 automatically compress my folders and files,
  11. windows automatticly compressing files,