Windows 10: Files located under a different user after update even though I have only ever had 1 user...

Discus and support Files located under a different user after update even though I have only ever had 1 user... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So this is a bit of a long one I will try to give you the whole story in case something there is relevant. Yesterday while my computer was shutting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ConnerBruce1, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Files located under a different user after update even though I have only ever had 1 user...

So this is a bit of a long one I will try to give you the whole story in case something there is relevant.

Yesterday while my computer was shutting down it came up with the message that windows had run into a problem and was trying to fix it. It finished whatever it was doing and shut down. When I turned my computer on this morning I got the message that windows could not sign into my microsoft account. I followed instructions from microsoft threads on how to fix it eventually finding that going into the registry editor in safe mode and editing one file slightly then rebooting and checking for an update resulted in a new update being found. Where previously under the temp account I was being logged into after it failed to log into my account showed I was up to date.

Now my actual issue. I am able to log in via my microsoft account again after the update (as far as I can tell) however, all of my quick access links in the file explorer are now linked to a new user account and they all show empty. All of my files are located under a different user folder. So if I go the long way clicking through the C drive to the "users" file there is now two user folders, one is "Conne" and the other "Conner". My microsoft account and setting are linked to the "Conne" file which is all default stuff and empty. The "Conner" folder is the one that it should be linked to and contains all of my files.

As well all of my adjusted settings have been set back to default. It is as if after the update my microsoft account is being treated as a brand new account on this computer even though it is the only one that has ever been used on it. Thankfully none of my files are missing that I have been able to see, they are just no longer associated with my profile.

Is there any way to fix this and return my computer to the way it was before the update? with all of my files and settings restored to where they should be?

Also I am trying my best to explain my situation as best I can. Please ask if you need clarification.

Thank you for any help

:)

ConnerBruce1, Jul 25, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Jul 25, 2019
  3. dvongrad Win User
    File sharing between users at different locations

I get as far as step 12, but Locations lists only the "location" of that particular computer (ie: DESKTOP for the desktop and LAPTOP for the laptop) and not the other one so I can't proceed any further. Network in File Explorer can see both computers and
    all its shared resources, but I can change permissions only for the Everyone user. If I type "\\LAPTOP\User" into
    Enter the object name to select, the next dialog box says it's not valid, so I select the
    Remove option. Perhaps the problem lies in that I need to add the laptop user to the desktop and vice versa. If that's the case and I want to add the desktop user to the laptop without a Microsoft account, I'm not sure how to add that user.
    Trying to use "\\DESKTOP\User" on the laptop says usernames can't contain '\'. It would seem to me that adding another computer's user as a user to another would defeat the purpose because there could be several users with varying control over others. In my
    case, there are only two, but I want to have full control over one from the other in both cases.

dvongrad, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Kreij Win User

Files located under a different user after update even though I have only ever had 1 user...

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

Files located under a different user after update even though I have only ever had 1 user...

1. Files located under a different user after update even though I have only ever had 1 user... - Similar Threads - Files located under

2. Windows recognizes 2 Monitors even though I only have 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recognizes 2 Monitors even though I only have 1: Quick foreword.Ive had my PC for 4 Years now and it mostly worked fine these past years. Since 1 Month, my PC kept crashing out of nowhere. I was most of the time playing Valorant when that happened I have even factory reset this PC to get rid of anything that could be the...
  3. Windows recognizes 2 Monitors even though I only have 1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recognizes 2 Monitors even though I only have 1: Quick foreword.Ive had my PC for 4 Years now and it mostly worked fine these past years. Since 1 Month, my PC kept crashing out of nowhere. I was most of the time playing Valorant when that happened I have even factory reset this PC to get rid of anything that could be the...
  4. Windows recognizes 2 Monitors even though I only have 1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Under 'Users', I have one called 'new user'; what is it?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Under 'Users', I have one called 'new user'; what is it?: Under 'Users', I have one called 'new user', which is different from my regular local account, but seems to have the same folders in it. Is this something I made accidentally and can erase, since my regular local account is right there?...
  6. 2 Users in the sign in menu but I only have 1 user in the user menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 Users in the sign in menu but I only have 1 user in the user menu.: Hello, I updated my PC from windows 7 to windows 10 like couple months ago and it asked me to lock my PC (pin code, password etc.) so I did. Then this happened, one day after I added my school's account to my PC I had 2 accounts in the sign in menu after you turn on/restart...
  7. different users from old computers i had are showing up in user folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    different users from old computers i had are showing up in user folder: hi so the main thing I want to do today is figure out if it is true that these amd folders are used because I have the option to switch with my intel graphics card hopefully its for games. next whenever I want to save a download which is from amd adrenalin which probably...
  8. A User located in C:\User doesn't appear under Local Users and Groups or at Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    A User located in C:\User doesn't appear under Local Users and Groups or at Login: I have a User Profile that appears under C:\Users, but doesn't show up under the Computer Management Local; Local Users and Groups; Users, or as an option at the Login Screen. How do I enable it?...
  9. game crashes on only 1 user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game crashes on only 1 user: I've been playing the Asphalt 8 Airborne for over a year on my laptop (dell 2-1 windows 10), it now crashes at the manufactures logo. I created a new user on my laptop and it plays fine. I've contacted Gameloft and Microsoft store help, with no solutions. Reset app,...
  10. File sharing between users at different locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing between users at different locations: I would like to share files across different computers with different users. For example, the admin user on Desktop would like to have full control over Laptop and vice versa. I have network discovery and file sharing turned on, the proper services are started, and the...