Windows 10: Files "Locked" and Cannot Backup or Delete After Malware Incident

Discus and support Files "Locked" and Cannot Backup or Delete After Malware Incident in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I recently had a malware incident that forced me to restore a system image - however, I failed to realize that restoring the system image would not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by orlando1974, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Files "Locked" and Cannot Backup or Delete After Malware Incident

Hi, I recently had a malware incident that forced me to restore a system image - however, I failed to realize that restoring the system image would not restore data stored in C:\Users\myname

Once the system image was restored and I realized that I should probably include this Users folder in my daily mirror backup (using FreeFileSync), I ran the backup but 77 files generated a "Cannot Read File" error when trying to back them up. It also says "The file is locked by another process: System."

I may be wrong to think this, but I suspect that the malware that was launched somehow created these unecessary files or locked them down. I would like to delete them if they are not required.

Some of the files are .dat, dat.LOG1, .dat.LOG2, .log, .bin, .edb, .toc, .jfm, .jtx
    most are either locked by "System" and/or "Registry". Others are locked by various WindowsApps, System32, or Google Chrome processes.

I'm attaching a few screenshots here... but like I said, there are 77 files so I won't put them all here.
    I'm assuming it is recommended to backup the entire C:\Users\myname folder and that this is not normal.
    Please advise...

Files "Locked" and Cannot Backup or Delete After Malware Incident [​IMG]

:)

orlando1974, Aug 15, 2019

2. How do I delete registry files?

type in regedit in the search box and press enter. Then from here on, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING UNLESS U KNOW WHAT UR DOING!! Go to Hkey_Local_Machine > Software > Then a list of program registry keys will pop up, delete anything that is uninstalled. Make sure u backup the keys unless something goes wrong. To backup, you do: Select a group of keys on the left pane > Right click > Export > name it "whatever.reg" > save it. To import the backup, click the reg file and click "merge"

spearman914, Aug 15, 2019
  3. Best way to remove problem Malware

Hi There,

I am trying to remove a bundle of Malware without success.

There is a bundle of listed programs which I try to uninstall through the typical Control Panel effort, but they remain listed there:

Buenosearch Toolbar
    MyPC Backup
    PC Performer
    Speed Test 127
    UnknownFile

I was looking at this weblink which provides a 5 step process for Buenosearch alone:
    Remove Bueno Search (Removal Guide)

Not sure how much certain guides can be trusted. One of the first things I read was to download Revo Uninstaller, and I've not heard of it so I'm not sure if it's trustworthy..........

radioraheem, Aug 15, 2019
  4. Files "Locked" and Cannot Backup or Delete After Malware Incident

Backup skipped

Hi Ken,

For us to better isolate your concern, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are your backing up files or creating a system image?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest deleting the backup you created and create a new one. Click this
    article
    and follow the steps on how to create a backup.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

Files "Locked" and Cannot Backup or Delete After Malware Incident

1. Files "Locked" and Cannot Backup or Delete After Malware Incident - Similar Threads - Files Locked Cannot

2. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  3. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  4. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created so I can get my storage back...
  5. i cannot delet malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i cannot delet malware: Trojan:BAT/Malgent!MSR it always come in my temp folder and cannot remove it after 4-5 min it agin come in my temp foldersome time a popup come which says where you wan tot open "getadmin.vbs" notepad or ms script servics I always denies it because it may be anything but the...
  6. deleting locked files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleting locked files: I recently had downloaded xbox and then onto a hard drive i downloaded flight simmulation and another game. I then deleted and uninstalled xbox from the computer but it did not take off the games files. I then tried to format the drive, delete the partitions, delete files,...
  7. delete backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    delete backup files: my windows backup files are taking storage in D drive , how to completey delete it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-backup-files/62c66206-8c6c-4ea1-8f75-fb4fa99d5661
  8. Can't delete malware file - readonly

Can't delete malware file - readonly: Hi, my laptop has malware on it. it's blocked and isn't doing anything but every time the scanner runs, it flags it. The file is in c:\$Recycle.bin\s-{random SID} the file is set to read-only. I can't make it not read-only. I tried running cmd as administrator and enter...
  9. deleting locked files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting locked files: I got a new computer and put my old HDD in it and windows did not detect the games. I want to delete them and uninstall them but I can't. if I change the install path of windows apps it won't give me the option to delete them. I moved the folder into a different one, I don't...
  10. Cannot delete this malware leftover

Cannot delete this malware leftover: So my dad was using the pc and installed malware by mistake. I ran malwarebyes and removed the malware but every time he signs into his account on startup this error pops up. I tried to find it's folder but couldn't see it so how can I remove it please? 30658