Windows 10: Files lost upon PC Restart

Discus and support Files lost upon PC Restart in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I had a similar question to this person right here. In summary, everything was fine, until, when I accidentally double-clicked a video on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sweetamitie, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Files lost upon PC Restart

Hello, I had a similar question to this person right here.

In summary, everything was fine, until, when I accidentally double-clicked a video on YouTube, activated its full-screen function, which made the entire screen bug out and forced me to restart it. I tried pressing the actual, literal "close current window" button, on my real life keyboard, but *strangely* enough it couldn't do the one thing it was input to do. Anyway, the brightness and volume buttons were working, but nothing else. So I had no choice to restart my computer. The first time I did it, all my files were deleted, but I was able to follow the directions in that ask to get them back. Then it happens a second time, same accidental YouTube screen glitching that forced me to turn it off. It had once again, deleted everything, and I wanted to go back and repeat the solution, but it appears my "Windows.old" folder is. Literally gone.

Files lost upon PC Restart 06d2fb05-4f8f-4af0-ba4f-0a965b1b34c6?upload=true.png

The strangest part about this to me though, is that, on the first restart, it didn't keep my taskbar and background the same, but all my files were still there and I was able to transfer them back within reach of me relatively easily, and on the second time it seems to be... exactly the opposite. This is the exact way my taskbar was arranged before I restarted it the first time, which had caused it to be replaced with the default taskbar for new users. I unfortunately do not have images of those; not only because I didn't take screenshots but even if I did they would have been lost.

Files lost upon PC Restart 837aecf0-8f50-4a2e-869d-cc103209ae82?upload=true.png

Files lost upon PC Restart 6d20748e-8596-4540-acbe-7a8e26830304?upload=true.png

I want to stress that this is the *exact* way my PC was before the restart bugginess began, but it flipped from default --> recovery, to usual --> recovery not possible. But I think it *is* possible, and I'm just not looking in the right place. I find it weird that all the programs on my taskbar are still downloaded, yet I can't find them in the actual Desktop/Download folder.

In any case, help is welcome, I went ahead and configured the system restore and such settings so this doesn't happen the next time I restart it, but the thing is that they were actually already turned on for my C: Drive before any of this happened.

:)

sweetamitie, Mar 28, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Mar 28, 2019
  3. Files lost after Automatic Repair

Hi,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to refer the link provided below and check if it helps.

The files & folders from the previous operating system after the upgrade to Windows 10 might have been saved in the
    windows.old folder. Check if the lost files and folders are present in
    windows.old folder by following the steps below:

Step 1: Using Cortana

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      windows.old in the search box.

• Select the search result which shows folder and drive location of the program.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Step 2: Using Windows explorer

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows Explorer.

• Click on This PC option from the left side panel of the window.

• Type windows.old in the Search This PC
      box located at the top right corner of the window.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Refer to the link below on Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 28, 2019
  4. Terrypin Win User

Files lost upon PC Restart

Inexplicable restarts

Thanks for your patient help and analysis, zbook. I'll step through some of your suggestions over the next few days - there's a lot to do and some look a bit hairy! That is, for a PC that is working sweetly right now...

Meanwhile, as requested in the BSOD thread (sorry, I misunderstood and posted there by mistake), I've attached both ZIP files.
    --------------------
    One step I did try right away was to answer your question about whether my BIOS is up-to-date. I had no success at the AMI site but did get some info from this commercial site:

Files lost upon PC Restart [​IMG]

It was one of the '9' (I counted 10) listed here:

Files lost upon PC Restart [​IMG]

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

Files lost upon PC Restart

1. Files lost upon PC Restart - Similar Threads - Files lost upon

2. PC Restarts Upon Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Restarts Upon Waking From Sleep: My computer restarts when I wake it from sleep. I am confident this is not a hardware issue as everything works as it should on Linux. I disabled restart when there is an error, and when I wake it, the peripherals do not light up, or appear to connect at all. I already tried...
  3. PC Restarts Upon Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Restarts Upon Waking From Sleep: My computer restarts when I wake it from sleep. I am confident this is not a hardware issue as everything works as it should on Linux. I disabled restart when there is an error, and when I wake it, the peripherals do not light up, or appear to connect at all. I already tried...
  4. PC keeps restarting and lost Office

PC keeps restarting and lost Office: Twice in the past week I have had to reinstall Windows on my pc because it kept prompting me to restart due to some error when booting up. After the last time, I discovered that Office 2016 was missing. I have McAfee security program and it has not detected a virus, so I...
  5. Lost my files after restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost my files after restart: I am using win10 32bit for my office purpose and i encouerted the fw error recovery and changed the sata cable it worked well and i lost all the desktop files after some time I found them in users folder in c drive and copied all the files to desktop and after restart my pc I...
  6. Pc restarts itself upon opening a game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc restarts itself upon opening a game: Hello!A problem recently started appearing on my computerSometimes if I start a game or playing my pc restart itself I checked the dump files and I had one i opened it with it with WinDbgAnd i got this out of it :PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50 Invalid system memory was...
  7. Pc restarts itself upon opening a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc restarts itself upon opening a game: Hello!A problem recently started appearing on my computerSometimes if I start a game or playing my pc restart itself I checked the dump files and I had one i opened it with it with WinDbgAnd i got this out of it :PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50 Invalid system memory was...
  8. Pc restarts itself upon opening a game

9. files deleted upon restart

files deleted upon restart: Hi, I just got a new pc and it came with windows installed. Now, when I restart my pc, most of my files get deleted. It does not happen if I power it off though. Any idea or solutions? Thanks in advance!...
  10. Lost Files on PC

Lost Files on PC: I had PC issues BOIS and it was repaired, with files being reloaded onto my hard drive in a temporary location. After approx 4 weeks they have gone, which may have been around the time of an update, not 100% sure on this. The original file location is still shown in "File...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. info lost upon restart

2. windows lost files restart

3. windows 10 custom settings lost upon restart