Windows 10: "Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC

Discus and support "Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got a weird situation here. I'm copying some files from my main data drive (D) to a second hard drive (E), and every time I try to copy I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cpmusic, Jun 26, 2019.

1. cpmusic Win User

"Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC

I've got a weird situation here. I'm copying some files from my main data drive (D) to a second hard drive (E), and every time I try to copy I get the "These files may be harmful to your computer" popup warning.

It's odd enough that the "harmful" files have been on my D drive for years (if they were harmful they'd have caused harm long ago) but the message only appears when I'm using two windows of File Explorer. If I copy the files within the same window, no warning.

It would be simple enough to use just one window, but since File Explorer insists on expanding the file tree to the left, I have to keep scrolling up and down for each file copy. To cut out that nonsense, I use two windows side by side.

I've done this many times in the past without issue; the warning is new as of today.

Both drives scan clean for errors and viruses/malware. I bought both new, and have used both before. In fact, the E drive used to be my D drive (I upgraded for more space on D). And to repeat, this only happens when copying with two File Explorer windows, not within a single window.

I know the procedure for allowing files between networked computers, but I can't figure how to make this work on the same computer.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

:)

cpmusic, Jun 26, 2019

2. Get rid of: Warning: "These files may be harmful to your computer"

It's FreeCommander, and yes as you can see, that Z: was mapped drive but you can use UNC path too:

"Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC [​IMG]

Regarding error msg, it may suggest

- either to use mapped drive instead of UNC path
    - or try to place affected files to different shared folder than Application Data.

Do not worry about Internet/Intranet. Completely wrong terminology, these terms do not apply to files at SMB shares at all.

muchomurka, Jun 26, 2019
  3. phrab Win User
    Get rid of: Warning: "These files may be harmful to your computer"

Thank you again. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmartScreenEnabled is off.
    Total Commander sounds like a decent idea. Does it copy & sync between different computers on a LAN?

By the way, I don't think I ever posted the exact error message:

I erased the actual computer name, but it suggests that it's in the Internet Options rather than the Intranet Options. I don't know why that would be.

phrab, Jun 26, 2019
  4. "Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC

Get rid of: Warning: "These files may be harmful to your computer"

The last two things to check:

1) This registry value

2) Temporarily disabling of your antivir/security apps/suites.

If nothing helps, as a workaround, you can use some file manager, for example Free Commander; it has handy DirSync tool:

muchomurka, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

"Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC

1. "Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC - Similar Threads - Files might harmful

2. is this update harmful for the windows pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    is this update harmful for the windows pc: Hey There Everybody Today i formatted my laptop and installed the windows 10 from what i am hearing from news is that the new update keeps on crashing and the worst part is that i got this blue screen error every time i use the laptop within period of time it says bad pool...
  3. Windows 10 , 2 verions on the same PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 , 2 verions on the same PC: I have 2 versions of Windows 10 on my PC. How can I remove/delete one of them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-2-verions-on-the-same-pc/9e48f0e4-4e9d-47bf-97cd-2544b704b9f9
  4. Same User ID is on 2 PC's

in Windows 10 Customization
    Same User ID is on 2 PC's: I have 2 PC's in my office that have the same user and they shouldn't. My user ID is on a PC that I use to use and now someone else has it. How did I separate myself from that PC?...
  5. These files might be harmful to your computer; how to get rid of the notification when...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    These files might be harmful to your computer; how to get rid of the notification when...: My question is that how can I get rid of that annoying notification, when I am transfering files from my computer to our local network drives or from them to my own computer? [ATTACH] I can't change "Internet options" - they are all "locked". [ATTACH] Neither changing...
  6. Get rid of: Warning: "These files may be harmful to your computer"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Get rid of: Warning: "These files may be harmful to your computer": I have a Network with a WinXP computer & a Win10 computer. I have shortcuts on each desktop to copy files that I use frequently back & forth. When I'm on my Win10 computer & copy certain files from Win10 to WinXP, I get the warning "These files may be harmful to your...
  7. Install New Hard Drive in Same PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Install New Hard Drive in Same PC: The HDD in the machine is obviously dying -- very slow, noises, etc. I have a new, larger HDD and there is an empty 3.5 slot. Can I install the new drive and then clone the old drive to the new and be able to boot from the new one? 116691
  8. These files might be harmful to your computer

These files might be harmful to your computer: I transferred some of my files from my phone to my hard drive, but once I sorted and transferred those files to the folders a warning always shows up. No virus or anything on my Windows 10 laptop and this warning is already grating on my nerves. What can I do about it? Thanks...
  9. These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop)

These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop): Hi. Over the last week or so, I am being prompted with this error message on my desktop when I either drag a item to the recycle bin or go to open my user folder on the desktop. I have run anti-virus and malware scans and this isn't solving the problem. It doesn't do this...
  10. Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?: Hello, I have a question regarding taking ownership of an executable that is in the WindowsApps folder in Program Files. I want to take ownership of it so I can make it launch at startup every time I boot up Windows. That's because for some reason, putting a shortcut of...