Windows 10: "Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC

Discus and support "Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got a weird situation here. I'm copying some files from my main data drive (D) to a second hard drive (E), and every time I try to copy I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cpmusic, Jun 26, 2019.

1. cpmusic Win User

"Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC

I've got a weird situation here. I'm copying some files from my main data drive (D) to a second hard drive (E), and every time I try to copy I get the "These files may be harmful to your computer" popup warning.

It's odd enough that the "harmful" files have been on my D drive for years (if they were harmful they'd have caused harm long ago) but the message only appears when I'm using two windows of File Explorer. If I copy the files within the same window, no warning.

It would be simple enough to use just one window, but since File Explorer insists on expanding the file tree to the left, I have to keep scrolling up and down for each file copy. To cut out that nonsense, I use two windows side by side.

I've done this many times in the past without issue; the warning is new as of today.

Both drives scan clean for errors and viruses/malware. I bought both new, and have used both before. In fact, the E drive used to be my D drive (I upgraded for more space on D). And to repeat, this only happens when copying with two File Explorer windows, not within a single window.

I know the procedure for allowing files between networked computers, but I can't figure how to make this work on the same computer.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

:)

cpmusic, Jun 26, 2019

2. Get rid of: Warning: "These files may be harmful to your computer"

It's FreeCommander, and yes as you can see, that Z: was mapped drive but you can use UNC path too:

"Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC [​IMG]

Regarding error msg, it may suggest

- either to use mapped drive instead of UNC path
    - or try to place affected files to different shared folder than Application Data.

Do not worry about Internet/Intranet. Completely wrong terminology, these terms do not apply to files at SMB shares at all.

muchomurka, Jun 26, 2019
  3. phrab Win User
    Get rid of: Warning: "These files may be harmful to your computer"

Thank you again. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmartScreenEnabled is off.
    Total Commander sounds like a decent idea. Does it copy & sync between different computers on a LAN?

By the way, I don't think I ever posted the exact error message:

I erased the actual computer name, but it suggests that it's in the Internet Options rather than the Intranet Options. I don't know why that would be.

phrab, Jun 26, 2019
  4. "Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC

Get rid of: Warning: "These files may be harmful to your computer"

The last two things to check:

1) This registry value

2) Temporarily disabling of your antivir/security apps/suites.

If nothing helps, as a workaround, you can use some file manager, for example Free Commander; it has handy DirSync tool:

muchomurka, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

"Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC

1. "Files might be harmful" warning btw 2 drives on same PC - Similar Threads - Files might harmful

2. I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...: I have Windows 10 installed on my 1TB SSD and my personal files on my 4TB HDD. I've put the default folders, such as Music, Pictures, and Documents, on the HDD by changing their path as soon as I finished installing the operating system. The letter assigned to the HDD was...
  3. I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...: I have Windows 10 installed on my 1TB SSD and my personal files on my 4TB HDD. I've put the default folders, such as Music, Pictures, and Documents, on the HDD by changing their path as soon as I finished installing the operating system. The letter assigned to the HDD was...
  4. I'm receiving the warning message "opening these files might be harmful to your computer"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why am I getting "The files might be harmful to your computer" warnings whenever I try to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I getting "The files might be harmful to your computer" warnings whenever I try to...: As stated, I'm trying to move picture files from one folder to another on my USB drive, but for some reason I'm getting these stupid "these files might be harmful to your computer" errors pop-ups! It didn't happen yesterday or the day before, and when it happened a few months...
  6. Why am I getting "The files might be harmful to your computer" warnings whenever I try to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I getting "The files might be harmful to your computer" warnings whenever I try to...: As stated, I'm trying to move picture files from one folder to another on my USB drive, but for some reason I'm getting these stupid "these files might be harmful to your computer" errors pop-ups! It didn't happen yesterday or the day before, and when it happened a few months...
  7. Why am I getting "The files might be harmful to your computer" warnings whenever I try to...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. These files might be harmful to your computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    These files might be harmful to your computer: How do I disable this notice? I have read many things .. watched YT videos .. followed the steps .. it all comes to a halt when it tells me to enter the IP address .. how do I find that for a USB memory?...
  9. These files might be harmful to your computer

These files might be harmful to your computer: I transferred some of my files from my phone to my hard drive, but once I sorted and transferred those files to the folders a warning always shows up. No virus or anything on my Windows 10 laptop and this warning is already grating on my nerves. What can I do about it? Thanks...
  10. These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop)

These files might be harmful to your computer message(desktop): Hi. Over the last week or so, I am being prompted with this error message on my desktop when I either drag a item to the recycle bin or go to open my user folder on the desktop. I have run anti-virus and malware scans and this isn't solving the problem. It doesn't do this...