Windows 10: Files missing on USB drive when transfering between machines

Discus and support Files missing on USB drive when transfering between machines in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, have searched for this problem online, but cannot find an answer, perhaps not asking the right question. Recently had to reinstall Win 10 on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by russd, Dec 19, 2016.

1. russd Win User

Files missing on USB drive when transfering between machines

Hi, have searched for this problem online, but cannot find an answer, perhaps not asking the right question.

Recently had to reinstall Win 10 on my desktop to fix various issues, now I cannot transfer files on a USB from my Win 10 machine to a Win 7 laptop. The files appear on the USB when viewed on 2 differetn Win 10 machines, but when checked on the Win 7 Laptop, the files are not there, the used space on the USB is the same, so the file is there, but not visible.

Have tried formating the USB as FAT32, and NTFS also tried view hidden files etc, to no availe.

It also did a similar thing with my MP3 Player

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Russ

:)

russd, Dec 19, 2016

2. How to restore Easytransfer (MIG)from Windows7 onto Windows10

I think you have missed the point of the question. My OLD machine is a DIFFERENT machine to the new one (running Windows 10)

Aside from using USMT, there seems to be no way of transferring settings from an OLD machine, aside from manually copying the files and settings I want onto a USB drive, and manually copying them back onto the new machine.

*UPDATE* - if you have been using 'file history' with Win7, you can restore the files onto your new Win10 machine - but not your old preferences

As I'm sure you would agree, this is bound to be hit and miss.

Is there any other way to automate this, in a similar way to Easy transfer?

thx

Mark

Mark Lillywhite, Dec 19, 2016
  3. Why are file transfers between drives so much slower in Win 10 than in Win 8.1 (using same PC and drives)?

I have the Windows 10 pro upgrade (Insider review version) and Windows 8.1 concurrently installed on a Dell XPS-8700 desktop. I also have 3 internal multi-terabyte drives, 4 (multi-terabyte) USB 3.0 and 1 (4 terabyte) USB 2 drive attached to this PC.

When I transfer large (>200 MB) files from a USB 3.0 drive to the USB 2 drive in Win 8.1 I get transfer rates, typically around 40 MB/s. In Win 10 for the same type transfer, between the exact same drives, I get a transfer rate around 10 MB/s.

Can anyone suggest an explanation for this? I mean, I just did it. It takes between 2 to 5 minutes to swap OSs. So it's not like one day I use Win 8.1 and the next I use Win 10. I just did it with no more than a 1/2 hour between the Win 8.1 transfers and
    similar Win 10 transfers.

I've noticed other, file related, performance differences between 8.1 and 10 and they aren't, as one would expect, in Win 10's favor.

I'm really at a loss here. Any suggestions?

ThomasAckley, Dec 19, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @russd

Odd, not seen that before. You could try putting the files in a .zip file, give it the simplest possible 8.3 name in capitals ( eg. FILES.ZIP ) and put that on the USB instead - even DOS would be able to see that name.

5. russd Win User
    I seem to remember it doing the same thing when I originally "upgraded" from 7 to 10, and I managed to sort it out, but cannot remember what I did Files missing on USB drive when transfering between machines :cool:

russd, Dec 19, 2016
  6. russd Win User
    That's interesting, Explorer on the Win 7 machine see's the .ZIP file and the unzip software (7 Zip) see's both the ZIP file, and the unzipped file which Explorer cannot see. But when I unzip the file and send it to desktop on the Win 7 machine the file does not appear there.

russd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Files missing on USB drive when transfering between machines - Similar Threads - Files missing USB

2. Transferring licenses between machines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring licenses between machines: Long story.....I have my own small business and have purchased an Office 365 package for me and the other employee.Some time ago I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 Home.I wanted to set up a number of different users on the machine using my Work Accounts that had...
  3. Transferring licenses between machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring licenses between machines: Long story.....I have my own small business and have purchased an Office 365 package for me and the other employee.Some time ago I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 Home.I wanted to set up a number of different users on the machine using my Work Accounts that had...
  4. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  5. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  6. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer: When you run a Virtual Machine, many times you require to transfer files between your host computer and the VM. But many users reported that they are unable to do this. This article guides you on how to transfer files between a Virtual Machine and a host computer. [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows 10 Transfer files between drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Transfer files between drives: I have 2 external drives attached to my Windows 10 computer. Drive A is 8TB, drive B is 4TB. Drive B is running low on space (Drive A has plenty) and I want to transfer/move files from a similar folder on B to A. There are a lot of Sub folders and files in both locations....
  9. file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart: I do photography and have been using robocopy to maintain large backup drives. This problem has never happened before. Windows 10 Home, fully up-to-date on a new 2020-02 Dell Inspiron. I first noticed the robocopy log display pausing every 4 or 500 files for as much as 30...
  10. LGPO - transfer policy settings between machines

in Windows 10 Customization
    LGPO - transfer policy settings between machines: I wonder if you could help with transferring policy settings from one PC to another. I have used MMC with GPEDIT snap-in to create a fairly robust lock-down policy for non-admin users on my setup machine which I have saved in My Documents folder. I want to apply this policy...