Windows 10: Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer

Discus and support Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have this issue, where when I go to a folder to look at a file, filename.ts (a raw video created with Colossus Capture card), the file doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bullfights, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer

I have this issue, where when I go to a folder to look at a file, filename.ts (a raw video created with Colossus Capture card), the file doesn't thumbnail, I usually have two files per folder. This started happening back when I was with 7, not sure why but it just started happening, so after 10 came out I hoped that would fix some of these issues. But the upgrade, albeit went fine, the issue still occurred and went as far as to freeze up explorer, and the only way to get back was task manager and restart explorer. I thought that it wasn't an issue with the main drive, but I also had some files there and same issue.

So after talking with tech last week and him remotely checking the issues, nothing could be figured out, so he basically said go back to 7 and try another upgrade. I couldn't go back to 7 from 10 because it was past the month you could, so I jumped on the bus and went thru a clean install, from the guide here.

I started to add apps all over again and found the issue was still there, so I reinstalled 10 again, and have not installed any apps yet, just what 10 installed and still have the same issue. I can be in a folder with 2 files and they are both blank, no thumbnail being created, and with the pointer in the folder pane, there is a circle spinning like its trying to do something.

Most of the video I have is in raw format, then I take it and convert to blu ray or dvd, with tmpgenc authoring works 4, then on to dvd. And I also store them on following drives:

-External
    Seagate 3 TB on USB3
    Toshiba 3 TB on USB3
    WD Elements 2 TB on USB2
    WD My Book 5 TB on USB3

-Internal
    WD 1 TB 6GBS
    WD 1 TB 6GBS
    WD3000 HLFS-01G6U4 - Main C:

I just tried going back to the Seagate drive to some files that already thumbnailed, and after opening a folder, the thumbnail disappeared and now its stuck waiting .....

Back when I was first having these issues on upgraded 10 from 7 I went thru some steps, the DSIM, sfcscann, etc, and the one thing that worked, was booting into SAFE MODE. Didn't get any issues, so its something going on somewhere and I cant figure it out.

Brand new install, no apps, what could it be....ideas?

Gerry

Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer [​IMG]

:)

bullfights, Oct 28, 2015
  2. R Nelson Win User

Will Windows 10 support Camera Raw files

What about thumbnail display in Explorer ? Is this implemented for Raw files - if so how do I make it happen ?

R Nelson, Oct 28, 2015
  3. Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for Windows 10 64-bit

If you have Lightroom or Photoshop you can use them for RAW files.

My concern is that when I'm looking at thumbnails in the file explore there's no thumbnail, just an icon for RAW files.

That's where I want to see them, so that I can pick which one I want to edit.

Yeah, I can make a thumbnail if I save them as a jpg but that's just adding to my wasted time.

Got enough of that every day, don't need more.

DianeMeyers, Oct 28, 2015
Thema:

Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer

1. Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer - Similar Threads - Files mostly raw

2. W10 not adding thumbnails to RAW files DNG

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 not adding thumbnails to RAW files DNG: Win 10 22H2If I go to a Windows 10 folder - all of the jpeg files have a thumbnail as do png, tiff etcVery few DNG files will have a thumbnail usually noneAs folders may have hundreds of files - the thumbnail view is essential to quickly find files without having to open...
  3. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken: I have read many tech articles, I've cleared caches, changed settings, I have tried all the solutions I could find to no avail. Prior to this issue, I could view almost every single photo and video file's thumbnail in file explorer. Then one day I couldn't. Now I can only...
  4. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken: I have read many tech articles, I've cleared caches, changed settings, I have tried all the solutions I could find to no avail. Prior to this issue, I could view almost every single photo and video file's thumbnail in file explorer. Then one day I couldn't. Now I can only...
  5. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos: Hi all, I just built a pc and installed Windows 10. I have been working on Macs for years now so there is a bit of a learning curve. I usually do video editing but have run into a problem. Typically when I go to finder, Mac's version of file explorer, I see a thumbnail with a...
  7. File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails

File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails: Hi, Sometimes File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails. Most of times it happens when I open a folder which contains a lot of FLAC files. But it can happen in totally random times as well, for example when I quickly switch between folders. When it happens, I can't do...
  8. Most image thumbnails replaced by icons in file explorer

Most image thumbnails replaced by icons in file explorer: Most of my image thumbnails have recently been replaced by icons. I'm not aware of any action that precipitated this change. This only affects some files, but it affects multiple folders, sizes/ages of file and file types. There seems to be no pattern to which files...
  9. Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer: I have a custom built PC (don't know if that matters) with:Windows 10 ProVersion 1809Build 17763.864 And I am having troubles viewing image thumbnails in the windows file explorer; specifically of .CR2 files. I can view the thumbnails of .DNG files and all the standard...
  10. Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer: I've ran Disk Cleaner to delete the thumbnails. I've deleted the thumbnail caches via command prompt (Admin). I've gone through View/Options/View and made sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" was not checked. And still, I cannot get thumbnails for my .mp4...