Windows 10: Files move from original locations to deFault

Discus and support Files move from original locations to deFault in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sometime in the last week or so most documents moved to the documents folder in C:\Users\Sherri. Instead of the folders that they belong I have well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sherri McCool, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Files move from original locations to deFault

Sometime in the last week or so most documents moved to the documents folder in C:\Users\Sherri. Instead of the folders that they belong I have well over 200 folder in which I file the documents. i.e. C:\Users\Sherri\Documents\Retirement. I am really not in the mood to refile 22,989 documents. Is there a way to restore the files to their original locations? If not I might have to cry!!!

Using Windows 10 Home

:)

Sherri McCool, Feb 29, 2020
  2. Geethu B Win User

Making HDD as default saving location instead of sdd for files

Hi Kiefer,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

I suggest you to try the following steps to change default saving locations. Check if it helps.

• Click on Start and click on
      Settings.

• Open System and click on
      Storage in the left-pane.

• Under the section Save Locations in the
      right-pane, select the appropriate location to which you want to save files.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Feb 29, 2020
  3. reset system folder (windows) permission back to default / original state

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community.

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

• Click "Search" and type File explorer options,Select it from the options
    • Click on Restore defaults.
    • Click Apply and OK.

Thanks,

Waseemulla S, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Files move from original locations to deFault

Default location to save documenets

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delayed response.

From your recent description, it seems like the issue is confined to Word documents. If true, then follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Launch Word application.
    • Go to File Menu and select Options.
    • In the pop-up dialog box, towards the left pane, select Save.
    • Under Default location file, browse the location you want to save.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Files move from original locations to deFault

1. Files move from original locations to deFault - Similar Threads - Files move original

2. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  3. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default file location: Dear All, Is there any DOS command that can change the default of C:\Users\ to another drive location ?Pls advise Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-file-location/b3587943-e145-4402-8e37-a92ebe876302
  4. Move default save locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Move default save locations: Hi guys a little help please I recently did a clean install of windows 10 Version 20H2 build 19042.746 during this install OneDrive was also installed after having problems with OneDrive I uninstalled it but it had changed the default save locations on three folders...
  5. reset file explorer to original default?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    reset file explorer to original default?: My File Explorer is so screwed up I want to start it all anew. I save very few items but cannot find most of what I've saved using the new Edge. I now want ALL 'save as' and 'downloads' to go into Quick Access only, or in necessary in This Pc. I have no need for them to be...
  6. Trouble moving default folder locations from OneDrive to C drive

Trouble moving default folder locations from OneDrive to C drive: Hi there, brand new laptop with Windows 10 automatically set OneDrive as default location for my user profile and documents. Unlinked PC from OneDrive, and most of my default folders now point to C drive, but Documents and Pictures still point to OneDrive. Have tried...
  7. Move a file but leave a shortcut in its original location

Move a file but leave a shortcut in its original location: I would like to move a file but automatically leave a shortcut in it's original location. Can this be done? It would help with cleaning house and saving on space, while retaining a record of files and folder structures in the previous location. I have multiple years of...
  8. Copying original files from shortcut location

Copying original files from shortcut location: I have a number of folders (tree structure) all containing exclusively shortcuts to various files stored across a myriad of different folders. Initially I set it up this way as I sifting through documents and sorting them for a separate project but didn't want to duplicate...
  9. Original file location

Original file location: Hi Everyone, I have a user within the organisation that has moved a file from a folder to a newly created folder. They seem to have lost track of where they had originally transferred the file from (original folder location). Is there a way I could find out where...
  10. Saving file location defaults

Saving file location defaults: So specifically with PDF files. When I do a "save as" or sign with a digital signature, it brings up the explorer window. The explorer window opens to the file location of the last file I saved a PDF in. I would like explorer to default the the folder the file I am working...