Windows 10: Files moved from desktop end up in mysterious second documents folder

Discus and support Files moved from desktop end up in mysterious second documents folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. Since my PC has been updated to creator, files from my desktop are not going where I intended. When I right click a file on my desktop, I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by deemby, Jul 6, 2017.

1. deemby Win User

Files moved from desktop end up in mysterious second documents folder

Hi. Since my PC has been updated to creator, files from my desktop are not going where I intended. When I right click a file on my desktop, I am invited to "send to" and I select "Documents" (screenshot1). Instead of sending the file to the folder expected, containing my sub files (screenshot2), it is sent to the "Users" folder stored in "Local Disc C" (screenshot3). From there it goes to sub-folder "d_emb". (screenshot4). D_emby is my windows ID but I did not create this folder. From there it is sent to the mystery "documents " folder (screenshot5),and finally when that folder is open, there is the test folder that I sent from my desktop together with other stuff that shouldnt be there (ie Ididnt intend to send it there). I would be grateful for any advice. If I deleted the d_emb folder containing the second"documents" folder would that solve the problem or is some tricky editing involved?
    Thank you

Files moved from desktop end up in mysterious second documents folder [​IMG]

:)

deemby, Jul 6, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Changing Storage Location

Hi Bryan, that will be no problem . . .

You cannot move the Users folder, but you can move all the contained Library folders, like Documents, Pictures . . . etc.

Open Windows File Explorer

In the right hand pane, right click the Documents Library folder and choose Properties

Click on the Location Tab on that dialog

In the Location box, type D:\Documents then click apply and OK, confirm the move

That will move your Documents Library folder and all references to it onto your D Drive in a folder named Documents

You can do the same for all the other library folders (Pictures, Videos . . . etc). I would advise against moving the Desktop folder

Please note for each folder, you must specify a folder, e.g. Pictures will move to D:\Pictures if you do not specify a folder, the files will end up all over your D Drive . ..

DaveM121, Jul 6, 2017
  3. KLovko Win User
    This PC system folders nested - irreversible (Windows 10)

I was moving system folders from their original location (C:\Users\username) to folders I created on D drive, everytime choosing to move the files inside along with the folder. At last I moved the Desktop folder to D:\Documents\Desktop, and suddenly all
    the files from the Documents folder appeared on the desktop. Now my ThisPC list has four folders named Documents but the icons are still different (Documents icon, Music icon, Videos icon and Pictures icon). Everything I put in any of these folders also appears
    on the desktop.

If I try to move any of this folder to its default location, I see the Documents icon at the top of the Location window and clicking the default location button gives back this path: C:\Users\username\Documents.

Is there any way to restore system folder names and corresponding folder locations? Maybe through regedit?

KLovko, Jul 6, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Where do you expect the 'Send to' command to send the files ? Your C:/Users folder shows no other user than 'd_emb'. This was the truncated user name created by Windows from your MS acct when you did the July Upgrade. Let's start with which folder do you expect these files to go to ?

mrgeek, Jul 6, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Also never delete any documents or pictures until you've determined whether they are the only copy or truly are duplicates. I consider all the Folders seen in Libraries should be the same as under the User's name, more or less are shortcuts.

Berton, Jul 6, 2017
  6. deemby Win User
    Hi. Before the upgrade, files from the desktop went to the documents folder that appears in "My PC" as per screen shot 2, now they go the one in local Disc C/users/d_emb/documents. Stuff sent to Documents before the upgrade.

deemby, Jul 6, 2017
  7. deemby Win User
    Point taken. Thank you

deemby, Jul 6, 2017
  8. Try3 Win User

These are the same place. The This PC, Documents entry is a shortcut to C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents.

There are no duplicate copies of files involved. You are merely using two different methods for viewing the same place.

If files only appear to be going to one of the two places then refresh the folder using F5 or right-clicking & selecting Refresh.

Denis

Try3, Jul 6, 2017
  9. deemby Win User
    Hi Denis.

F5 doesnt appear to change anything,right click doesnt produce a refresh option (or I'm doing something wrong). Files arent repeated, it just that I have two documents folders. One has all the stuff that I sent from my desktop before the update, the other is taking all the stuff I sent from my desktop after the update so they must be different folders surely?. I have been warned about deleting folders and I guess that the one that resides in user/d_emb is the one that windows wants to put stuff in, but what about the other one? Windows would have put those files there before the update. My screen shots show the different contents of the two folders

deemby, Jul 7, 2017
  10. Try3 Win User
    F5 would only change what was shown if what was shown had not been up to date so that is not a problem. If you right-click on a blank area of a folder then you are supposed to get this context menu - not an immediate concern though.

If those are the refreshed contents of each folder then your user folder "Locations" [assigned paths] were corrupted in the update. Check them at Relocating user folders in Windows 7 and Windows 10 -
    http://answers.microsoft.com/message...a-31444b2c530e

Denis

11. deemby Win User
    Hi Denis. I looked at the link but didnt quite follow as the other guy has two drives. I know that I am flogging this hard but I hope the two new screen shots help. One documents folder is in C:\users\d_emb\downloads created 13 April 14:32. No idea why it would appear in downloads - could it have been a copy that the guy who had to sort my PC out made after the creator update currupted my system administrator files?) The other documents folder is located where I believe you expect it to be, in C:\users\d_emb created 13 Apr 16:39.
    If most of my files are in the first location, can I drag them up the directory tree and then delete the presumably empty file? I take note of the warning given by another member but the two document files are clearly seperate entities

deemby, Jul 7, 2017
  12. Try3 Win User
    I'll walk you through it [see below] but the procedure in the link I gave you applies to your situation as well. The fact that you are not intending to "relocate" to a different drive is not a problem. You are using the procedure to check & correct the existing "user folder" "Locations" on a single drive but most people would use the procedure to "relocate" their "user folders" to a different drive. The procedure is the same in both cases.

Please go to C:\Users\d_emb and look at each of the folders - Documents, Downloads, Desktop, Music, Pictures, Music, Videos, Contacts, Saved Games.

For each one, right-click, Properties, Location tab.

• Check that the path given is the one you intend - so the C:\Users\d_emb\Desktop tab should show its path as being C:\Users\d_emb\Desktop.
    • If any of them are missing or do not have a Location tab then that is significant.
    • I think you are probably going to find that Documents/Downloads do not have a Location tab or they have the same path. There might be others in the same condition which is why I am suggesting that you check them all.

For any problem folders that have a Location tab you can normally enter the correct path to it in the Location tab to correct the problem.

• If there is a clash of folder paths then Windows refuses to do the correction for you and you have to do the correction in the Registry as described in section 2 of the link I gave you.
    • Such as clash would occur, for example, if both Music and Videos had previously been set to the same path.
    • In my computers, I have a deliberate clash because I have deliberately set both my Desktop & Downloads Location paths to point to my Desktop. So I would have to use the Registry procedure to change them.
    • In your case, what I think you are going to find is that both Documents & Downloads are pointing to the same folder - C:\Users\d_emb\Downloads. So Windows is going to refuse to allow you to enter a correction to the Documents Location tab.
    • But if the Downloads Location is correct and the only problem is that the Documents Location points to C:\Users\d_emb\Downloads\Documents then you should simply be able enter its correct path C:\Users\d_emb\Documents and everything should be fixed.

So you will need to use the Registry to fix the problem [section 2 of the linked procedure but repeated here]. In the RegEdit address bar you can just paste in this path to get straight to the relevant place
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Then double-click on the right-hand side on, for example, Personal {for the Documents entry, all the others have sensible names} and type in the correct path C:\Users\d_emb\Documents {you would normally have to check that C:\Users\d_emb\Documents existed first but I know it does from your diagrams}.

If you need any help working through that just post back and tell me which are the problem user folders & at which point you are stuck.

Denis

13. Try3 Win User

[Deemby - I have now completed corrections to my last post. I had to post twice then combine them afterwards because the main editing window just keeps flickering, missing key presses & pasting into the wrong place in the text. Denis]

14. deemby Win User
    Hi Denis, thank you for the last and comprehensive guide. I went through the first exercise, confirming that all folders were located where they should be. I then altered the location of the documents folder that was in C:\users\d_emb\downloads folder to the C:\users\d_emb folder. it took about 30 minutes to transfer the 23GB but now when I right click on the documents icon on the start screen, it takes me to where I want to be. I also sent a folder from the desktop to documents, and again got the result I wanted.
    Thank you very much for your patience and determination to fix my problem for me.It seems such an easy fix when you know what you are doing. I am glad that I never had to tinker with the registry though.
    Thanks again.

deemby, Jul 7, 2017
  15. Try3 Win User
    deemby,

My pleasure. I only found out about all this because I once made a mess of them & had to flap about finding likely places in the Registry in the hope of fixing things.

Denis

Thema:

1. Files moved from desktop end up in mysterious second documents folder - Similar Threads - Files moved desktop

2. Permanently deleted files from OneDrive Folder Desktop, Documents...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently deleted files from OneDrive Folder Desktop, Documents...: Hi,today I was clearing my PC folders. I noticed that in the OneDrive foldere there was an exact copy of many files of my PC, that were taking HardDisk space. So i deleted them, but it wouldn't allow me to move those files to the RecycleBin. So i tried with Shift + Canc , and...
  3. Permanently deleted files from OneDrive Folder Desktop, Documents...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently deleted files from OneDrive Folder Desktop, Documents...: Hi,today I was clearing my PC folders. I noticed that in the OneDrive foldere there was an exact copy of many files of my PC, that were taking HardDisk space. So i deleted them, but it wouldn't allow me to move those files to the RecycleBin. So i tried with Shift + Canc , and...
  4. Files & Folders moving from Desktop to Recycle Bin

Files & Folders moving from Desktop to Recycle Bin: Dear Microsoft,Hope you are well!I am having trouble in my HP system. Long story short, about 6-7 months ago, my system got updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Since I have updated to Windows 11, my system started to work a little slow, to obvious reasons that all the apps...
  5. Files & Folders moving from Desktop to Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files & Folders moving from Desktop to Recycle Bin: Dear Microsoft,Hope you are well!I am having trouble in my HP system. Long story short, about 6-7 months ago, my system got updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Since I have updated to Windows 11, my system started to work a little slow, to obvious reasons that all the apps...
  6. Files in Document Folder moving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in Document Folder moving: Files in Document Folder move up and down, making it difficult to click on a file. Sometimes scrolling down in Document Folder the cursor will jump to the top. This does not happen in other folders, such as the Download Folder....
  7. Files in Document Folder moving

Files in Document Folder moving: Files in Document Folder move up and down, making it difficult to click on a file. Sometimes scrolling down in Document Folder the cursor will jump to the top. This does not happen in other folders, such as the Download Folder....
  8. Files in Document Folder moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Mysterious Xuanzhi Folder In My Documents

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Mysterious Xuanzhi Folder In My Documents: So I was just going through my documents today and I found a Xuanzhi file in there which I had no idea how it got there. I deleted it and checked the internet for some help. In one post it showed the file was in %appdata% roaming too so I went there and deleted it.I need to...
  10. Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local: I bought a new PC with Windows 10. It is saving all files, including user application files, to Documents in OneDrive. This is a disaster as applications produce trainloads of user files that OneDrive then dutifully attempts to upload. The Documents folder on "This PC" is...