Windows 10: Files Mysteriously on New Laptop

Discus and support Files Mysteriously on New Laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I bought a new laptop. I was setting it up at home. It seemed to be taking a long time to update. This morning I got up to find that every file from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobertLofland2453, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Files Mysteriously on New Laptop

I bought a new laptop.

I was setting it up at home.

It seemed to be taking a long time to update.

This morning I got up to find that every file from my desktop was now on the new laptop.

I did not initiate anything to make this happen as far as I know.

I do have a dropbox account that I installed but most of these files are not in dropbox.

The two machines are on the same network but as far as I can tell that is all that they have in common.

Now I'm afraid to delete these files from the new laptop where I don't need them and they are just taking up space for fear that they will be deleted on both computers.

:)

RobertLofland2453, Jul 27, 2019
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Jul 27, 2019
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    can't restore files to a new laptop using file history.

Hi John,

The path of the drive may differ from the new laptop to the old laptop. It depends on where you plugged in the external hard drive. At this point, we'd like to ask the following to assist you better:

• Was the hard drive before a storage drive only or a main hard drive of a computer?
    • What type of files were you trying to restore?
    • Can you please send screenshots of how you restore your files? Blur any personal information for your security.
    • To avoid repetition, can you provide us with all the troubleshooting steps that you've done so far?

Erika Aro, Jul 27, 2019
  4. Namslas90 Win User

Files Mysteriously on New Laptop

HELP! My Laptop has gone into SLOW MOTION!

Should be able to get a "step-by-step here;

Support | Dell Deutschland

Namslas90, Jul 27, 2019
Thema:

Files Mysteriously on New Laptop

1. Files Mysteriously on New Laptop - Similar Threads - Files Mysteriously Laptop

2. Mystery file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mystery file: 1c7b1472-9b59-4652-9dde-f1dc675649cc Find in WER/temp folder but # changes after reboot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mystery-file/731f8936-7e73-4c24-8a82-688e024eb67b
  3. MP4 Files Mysteriously Disappearing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MP4 Files Mysteriously Disappearing: Hi, I've got a weird one.. MP4 files saved in my Videos folder keep mysteriously disappearing. I'm editing them in Premiere Pro, then something happens and it tells me the files can't be found. I look in the videos folder, deleted items ..nothing, they're gone. I've run a...
  4. Mysterious new file in quick access named C

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Mysterious new file in quick access named C: Hi, I logged into my PC this morning and as I went to open some files, I found a new file at the top of my recent files, that I've never heard of before. Its file name is just C, and it's supposedly in my desktop but if I look through the files in my desktop it's nowhere to...
  5. Mysterious Laptop programming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mysterious Laptop programming: Hello I had issues I paid and 365Microsof office but i don't get use it properly These listing not work following listing : 1. Outlook 2 Operating system being writen off an other program 3 There were many un app around my website 4 My gmail account...
  6. One file mysteriously disappeared

One file mysteriously disappeared: I had a file of beautiful paintings I've downloaded from various sites. Two nights ago, I logged on and saw that it was gone - it was pinned to Quick Access and it's very strange. Does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts or ideas - though I looked in File Explorer and...
  7. New User Mysteriously Added?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New User Mysteriously Added?: So a while back, I went to restart my pc, and I got a message that said something along the lines of "another user is still using this pc, if you sign out now they may lose work". I had never seen this before, so after googling the meaning, I checked the Users under task...
  8. Mystery drive in File Explorer

Mystery drive in File Explorer: I have a "mystery drive" in the This PC section of File Explorer. It's called EZ and is mapped as the Z: drive. I am baffled by what this is and how it got there. It is *not* something I have installed, at least knowingly. When I click on it to see what is on it, it tells me...
  9. Mysterious Folder in Program Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious Folder in Program Files: I have a strange folder in C:\Program Files (x86) called "My Company Name" and inside it another one called "My Product Name". This one is empty. My ESET Smart Security found nothing. I can't figure it out where it came from. Is this malware? 23506
  10. Mysterious New Profile

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious New Profile: A Dell update required a restart, so I did that. When I clicked on the lock-screen icon, I found my profile, as expected, but also "Administrator" had been added. I logged on to my profile, and went into PC Settings/Accounts, where I found my profile, shown as local and...