Windows 10: Files not opening on desktop after I assume was an update yesterday

Discus and support Files not opening on desktop after I assume was an update yesterday in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm assuming an update happened last night because an Office window was showing when I opened up the laptop saying let's look at it or whatever and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DanGaffney, May 15, 2019.

1. Files not opening on desktop after I assume was an update yesterday

I'm assuming an update happened last night because an Office window was showing when I opened up the laptop saying let's look at it or whatever and making me look at sending required data to Microsoft and asking if I wanted to send the optional data as well. I clicked none and it eventually let me close the window and I was able to see my stuff. Chrome restarted and wanted to add a pdf extension which I denied but the point here is that it restarted to all the tabs I had open last night and some of my other programs were still open like excel and outlook. other programs were not though - picasa, explorer windows and notepad.

I checked email and did a couple things in Chrome but needed to write myself a todo list so I opened notepad. it opened and I wrote what I needed to. Then I tried to open a text file on my desktop. You used to only be allowed one but that changed so I thought it should open. Nothing. None of the txt files on my desktop worked. I closed the note I had up to see if that was the problem. They still did not open - by double-clicking or by opening notepad and clicking the file open, then to the file. Nothing. I tried other things on the desktop and it seemed random whether they opened or not - two images opened fine, three did not. "This PC" opened, but the network icon did nothing.

What??

Windows 10

:)

DanGaffney, May 15, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, May 15, 2019
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, May 15, 2019
  4. Johan45 Win User

Files not opening on desktop after I assume was an update yesterday

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, May 15, 2019
Thema:

Files not opening on desktop after I assume was an update yesterday

1. Files not opening on desktop after I assume was an update yesterday - Similar Threads - Files opening desktop

2. Random Feature Update yesterday + windows.old file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Random Feature Update yesterday + windows.old file: Hi, yesterday I randomly got an abrupt feature update. despite feature updates being pretty much obsolete now.It created a windows.old folder and it doesn't take up too much disk space but is this normal?Nothing else appears to be wrong besides that one pesky 4441 security...
  3. Broken pc i assume?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken pc i assume?: I am typing on xbox as we speak. So the problem with my pc is i had an error that said "Critical process died" so i searched on youtube for how to fix it, the next second i fix it i start up my pc and it shows the hp logo for 3 seconds shuts off and does the same thing over...
  4. Broken pc i assume?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Broken pc i assume?: I am typing on xbox as we speak. So the problem with my pc is i had an error that said "Critical process died" so i searched on youtube for how to fix it, the next second i fix it i start up my pc and it shows the hp logo for 3 seconds shuts off and does the same thing over...
  5. RAM bug i assume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAM bug i assume: so i have 6 gb ram installed and task manager shows me i have 6 too but when i look for processes for example : microsoft edge it tells me it uses 600 mb but when i choose to see percents instead of values it tells me 20 % used so idk how is this possible also was...
  6. Video lost after yesterdays update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Video lost after yesterdays update.: I have a Dell Optiplex 990 SFF and have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to hook it up to a TV. Following yesterdays update 07/07 I lost my connection to the TV. To resolve the issue I connected a monitor via VGA cable and performed a system restore back to before the update and...
  7. No Sound After Yesterday's Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Sound After Yesterday's Update: Updated yesterday and now no sound. I tired 2 or 3 times to delete the devices and each time, except the last time, they were reinstalled without an issue. It's a Dell PC (desktop) and I believe it was a Realtek audio card. The only audo device that is now displayed is "2770...
  8. Desktop not open after updation windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop not open after updation windows 10: After updating windows 10 my desktop not start https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-not-open-after-updation-windows-10/a281fde4-d266-408c-a460-5d1ce8c2b07d
  9. Low FPS after Update yesterday!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Low FPS after Update yesterday!: So yesterday i applied new thermal paste to my laptop and i had to update when turning it off, my temperatures went down by 10C even when gaming, do these frame drops im having is not about the thermal paste being applied in a bad manner. When raiding last night in World of...
  10. Yesterday's Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Yesterday's Update: Thank you bery much, Bree