Windows 10: Files show up but can't be accessed after windows update.

Discus and support Files show up but can't be accessed after windows update. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. Im having difficulties with a problem and I am hoping someone can help me. I've looked all over the internet but nothing I read about helps with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by qewrerererer, May 15, 2020.

1. Files show up but can't be accessed after windows update.

Hi. Im having difficulties with a problem and I am hoping someone can help me. I've looked all over the internet but nothing I read about helps with my problem. My problem is that I just updated Windows with the latest update and my pc is fine. I then plugged in my external hdd and some of the files can no longer be opened. When I click on them it says "Location is unavailable" and " Directory is missing". Its happened to several different files but they all worked previously fine before the update. The external hdd is brand new and I ran chkdsk and other software that says the HDD is fine. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Thank you.

:)

qewrerererer, May 15, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 15, 2020
  3. Files not showing in Quick Access

Why are ordinary doc and xls files which I open, update and save not showing in my list of Recent Files in Quick Access? The File Explorer is set to Quick Access. Thanks in advance.

Tony Vella, May 15, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Files show up but can't be accessed after windows update.

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Files show up but can't be accessed after windows update.

1. Files show up but can't be accessed after windows update. - Similar Threads - Files show can't

2. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access filed: - quick ? My husband has an HP laptop about 10yrs old it froze yesterday trying to log on, received " internal battery" message now he can't sign on. He bought a brand new HP laptop and now trying to figure out how to get his scan folder off old laptop? It's a new Windows11...
  3. I can't access files on file explorer. My computer waits and loads and nothing shows up in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't access files on file explorer. My computer waits and loads and nothing shows up in...: This has been happening for 8 weeks. I have tried restarting, rebooting, reinstalling all applications and nothing seems to fix it. It freezes on the progress bar and nothing loads. This is in file explorer. I can't access local or cloud storage. Could someone please suggest...
  4. I can't access files on file explorer. My computer waits and loads and nothing shows up in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't access files on file explorer. My computer waits and loads and nothing shows up in...: This has been happening for 8 weeks. I have tried restarting, rebooting, reinstalling all applications and nothing seems to fix it. It freezes on the progress bar and nothing loads. This is in file explorer. I can't access local or cloud storage. Could someone please suggest...
  5. can't boot up windows after updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can't boot up windows after updates: the only message i get is a stop code DRIVER_PNP_WATCHDOG keeps getting in a un stoppable loop to boot up laptop has no disc drive and i am stuck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-boot-up-windows-after-updates/b1f59a9a-b48a-47f2-a24c-589ac4108fb3
  6. Random accessed files showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random accessed files showing up: Hi all, I've noticed since my last windows update (10.0.19041 Build 19041) when I go to attach a file in an email and it opens up my "recent items", the file I just created will be low down on the list. I just thought it was a little glitch, no big deal really. However, as...
  7. Quick access links are not showing after Windows update.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick access links are not showing after Windows update.: I have just run a Windows 10 update. Now I find my quick access links all GONE. Something I use daily. Now I have to stop and spend time setting this all back up. Why. Why would you do that? Why in the world would that disappear? So annoying. Will this happen every...
  8. Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update

Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update: The problem is Start Menu can't access the system files. For example - When I click on File Explorer button on the Start Menu it can't start it. [ATTACH][ATTACH] - When I use the Search to start things, it does the same thing [ATTACH][ATTACH] But - I can access the...
  9. Can't access Windows shares after 1803 update

Can't access Windows shares after 1803 update: I have two Windows 10 Pro computers on the same home network. Prior to the 1803 update I used to keep them in sync by sharing a folder on one, connecting to it on the other, and using sync software. The update has broken this. Now I can always ping the other machine by IPv4...
  10. Can't access files on network after installing Anniversary Update

Can't access files on network after installing Anniversary Update: I installed the Anniversary Update on my desktop and laptop computers recently, both running Windows 10 Home. Since then I have been unable to access the Libreoffice files in my desktop computer Documents folder from my laptop as they are said to be locked for editing by an...