Windows 10: Files showing up as data taken up on disk, but now visible on Windows

Discus and support Files showing up as data taken up on disk, but now visible on Windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 64 bit Pro This is the situation: 1. Installed windows on laptop 2. Took the disk form laptop and put it in desktop 3. Copied files from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xuzo, Oct 26, 2018.

1. xuzo Win User

Files showing up as data taken up on disk, but now visible on Windows

Windows 64 bit Pro

This is the situation:

1. Installed windows on laptop
    2. Took the disk form laptop and put it in desktop
    3. Copied files from desktop disk to laptop disk
    - Copied and pasted files show up on destination disk no problem.

IV. Put disk with new data back in laptop
    - Files don't show up, but disk is still half full, so data is there, I just can't see it.
    V. Put disk back into desktop to check, data is there, I just can't see it.
    VI. Put disk into external USB drive and connect to desktop, data is there, I just can't see it.

The disk including OS has 80 gigs or data taken, so it IS there, just can't see it, tried to go in explorer and show hidden files and folders, permissions "seem" to be ok...

:)

2. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Files showing up as data taken up on disk, but now visible on Windows partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Oct 26, 2018
  3. How to : Hard drives used to show in Windows and are now missing [visible in BIOS]

Skip to bottom for resolution:
    ----------------------------------
    I had a scare today that in hindsight, I possibly could have avoided. I am not certain that I caused the issue, however decided I wanted to share the resolution with my comrades at TPU and hopefully others in the future.
    Searching for this type of subject, is difficult as any work around or solution is often piled under results that are for a similar issue though not quite this scenario.

I was changing power supplies and realized I was short of the remaining required SATA power cables. This meant I could only power on my SSDs(normally two SSD, two HDD). After finishing, I had the system up and running for a few hours doing various things when I stumbled across some more SATA power cables. I took the machine down, hooked up the SATA>HDD and booted the system.

Windows did not see the mechanical drives in Explorer. I checked the following :

• Are the drives getting power? Yes I can hear/feel them slightly humming. Good sign.
    • Are the drives showing in Device Manager under Disk Drives? No only my SSD show.
    • Are the drives showing in Administrative Tools> Computer Management > Disk Management? No only my SSD show.
    Turned off the system. I checked the following :

• SATA connections at the motherboard and the hard disks. Connections are firm.
    • Double checked in BIOS that they were visible.
    I booted Windows again and this time listened intently for that classic crunch sound of the drive head doing it's work. I heard nothing.

A coffee later ( I don't drink coffee, was very stressful times - Defcon 2 I would say) I took stock of what I knew :
    • There's power
    • There's SATA data transmission
    • BIOS has given us a green light
    • I didn't do any thing to my knowledge that would trash the drives.
    It occurred to me I may have confused Windows, and I remembered that sometimes devices can be hidden (what causes this could be a myriad of reasons that I am unaware of).

Solution :
    • Open Control Panel > Device Manager
    other ways to reach the Device Manager :
    • Start Menu > Run and type mmc devmgmt.msc
    • Start Menu and type Device Manager in the search box
    • Start Menu and type mmc devmgmt.msc in the search box
    • At the top of the Device Manager, click on View and then Show Hidden Devices.
    • Down in the main window of the Device Manager, press the arrow or plus (+) sign to the left of the section Disk drives. It will open the list of drives, including any that are hidden. These will be colored with grey text. You should see some familiar models in there, hopefully your missing hard disks and there may be several entries for each (meaning there's duplicates).
    • Right click on each of the grey entries that relate to your missing device(s) and select Uninstal (do this for every instance or copy of your missing drives).
    • Agree to the OK or Cancel prompt that you receive.
    • Reboot your system.
    As your system prepares to enter Windows, you will never have been more happy to hear the nasty crunch of mechanical hard disks as the little HD men go to work inside your storage devices.

newconroer, Oct 26, 2018
  4. Files showing up as data taken up on disk, but now visible on Windows

HP Disk Drive not visible

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Method 1: I would suggest you first try the Troubleshooter.

Please follow the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the Windows Search bar and hit enter.

• On the left side of the Troubleshooting window, click on “View all”

• Click on Hardware and Devices. Please provide a password if asked for it and click ok.
    Method 2:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

• Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.

• Right-click on the Disk Drives and click on Properties.

• Go to the Drivers Tab and Click Enable (If not enabled).

• Restart the computer and check.
    Hope this helps. Please reply if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 26, 2018
Thema:

Files showing up as data taken up on disk, but now visible on Windows

1. Files showing up as data taken up on disk, but now visible on Windows - Similar Threads - Files showing data

2. SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager: I bought an SSD and installed it today to use as my new main storage device while keeping my current hdd. I initialized it on the disk manager and gave it a letter and everything, but it won't show up on file explorer. It shows that there's 356mb used on it despite me not...
  3. SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager: I bought an SSD and installed it today to use as my new main storage device while keeping my current hdd. I initialized it on the disk manager and gave it a letter and everything, but it won't show up on file explorer. It shows that there's 356mb used on it despite me not...
  4. SSD isnt showing up on file explorer but is showing up on disk manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Free Disk Space being taken up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free Disk Space being taken up: Hello, I recently got a new laptop with one terabyte of space, well, exactly 952 GB.I've installed all of my steam games, which were alot of gigabytes, but not too much, I only installed like 200 GB of steam games, and then, few weeks of just doing random stuff on my laptop,...
  6. Free Disk Space being taken up

Free Disk Space being taken up: Hello, I recently got a new laptop with one terabyte of space, well, exactly 952 GB.I've installed all of my steam games, which were alot of gigabytes, but not too much, I only installed like 200 GB of steam games, and then, few weeks of just doing random stuff on my laptop,...
  7. Free Disk Space being taken up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Data Usage not showing up

Data Usage not showing up: As seen in the picture, my data usage has not been showing up for the last 19 days. Please tell me ways to fix this as I am on a limited data plan and would really love to be able to see how much data I've used so I can manage my usage...
  9. Disk Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Not Showing Up: I had plugged in an external hdd and now my internal hdd on my laptop isn't showing up it is showing a blue question mark and when I go to disk management I am not able to see the drive just my os ssd can anyone help me, please. I need m files for school...
  10. Disk partition not showing up in File Explorer, yet shows up in Disk Management.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk partition not showing up in File Explorer, yet shows up in Disk Management.: Hi there, Today I have created a new partition on my disk so that I could store specific files on it in order to keep things clean. Somehow after creating it, immediately after formatting the new partition to NTFS the newly created one showed up in file explorer as it should...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. only x: on hdd showing noyhing else