Windows 10: Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available

Discus and support Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a couple folders and shortcuts including the Documents folder that are showing up in the file explorer but when I try to open them it is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DavidtheDogg, May 26, 2022.

1. Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available

I have a couple folders and shortcuts including the Documents folder that are showing up in the file explorer but when I try to open them it is not able to locate the files. System File Checker does not detect any problems so I'm not sure how to fix the problem.-Thanks!

:)

DavidtheDogg, May 26, 2022
  2. temp02 Win User

Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

It's an .exe right? Explorer probably read its icon (to a cache) when it was a "small" file and now call the quits when it finds "such a big" file.

If you want to delete it, use the console after killing explorer, you can run the console from TaskManager (Application -> New Task -> cmd). You might want to try copy the file to a different location (copy, not cut) and see if explorer can handle it in the new location before deleting it.

temp02, May 26, 2022
  3. blueworld Win User
    File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups

Thanks for your reply.

Whatever "it" is exactly, all I know is, it does not behave consistently. This is so across multiple systems. Also, it isn't just recent items, but pinned items that fail to produce the popup on mouse over (when they should).

If the File Explorer setting you're referring to is "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items," I already have that turned on.

Based on my tests, I tend to think this is a bug. Did you try reproducing it?

1. Right click File Explorer in taskbar to open the jump list.
    2. Mouse over any of the pinned or recent folders and see if the popup with the location path appears (as shown in the screenshot with the original post).
    3. If it does appear, close out of the jump list by left clicking anywhere outside of it.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you find the popups not appearing. In my experience, it always occurs, even if not right away. And all too often when I need them most.

blueworld, May 26, 2022
  4. geno368 Win User

Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, May 26, 2022
Thema:

Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available

1. Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available - Similar Threads - Files showing file

2. "Location is not available" Popup shows up when moving files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Location is not available" Popup shows up when moving files: I've been moving files around for a game, but for some reason every now and then, I'm interrupted by this message:I have no idea why, I'm not doing anything with the Start Menu, but for some reason this message keeps appearing nonetheless. It's really annoying, so hopefully...
  3. "Location is not available" Popup shows up when moving files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Location is not available" Popup shows up when moving files: I've been moving files around for a game, but for some reason every now and then, I'm interrupted by this message:I have no idea why, I'm not doing anything with the Start Menu, but for some reason this message keeps appearing nonetheless. It's really annoying, so hopefully...
  4. "Location is not available" Popup shows up when moving files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available

Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available: I have a couple folders and shortcuts including the Documents folder that are showing up in the file explorer but when I try to open them it is not able to locate the files. System File Checker does not detect any problems so I'm not sure how to fix the problem.-Thanks!...
  6. Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files showing up in file explorer but the location is not available: I have a couple folders and shortcuts including the Documents folder that are showing up in the file explorer but when I try to open them it is not able to locate the files. System File Checker does not detect any problems so I'm not sure how to fix the problem.-Thanks!...
  7. File Explorer shows different Locations

File Explorer shows different Locations: File Explorer shows Docs, Pictures, Music, Video in the Cloud Onedrive and stored locally as I want it. File Explorer also shows Docs, Pictures, Music, Video folders under 'This PC' but the Docs and Pictures folders are the ones under OneDrive whereas the Music and Video...
  8. Temp files showing up in file explorer

Temp files showing up in file explorer: Hello , I work as an IT for a Cargo Company . Recently some users have reported an issue of temporary files pinned in the file explorer. I tried deleting the temps but it wont let me. I also ran CCleaner and nothing. Have searched the internet but have found no answer to...
  9. Files not showing up with File Explorer

Files not showing up with File Explorer: I open File Explorer to find a file that I knew had been created at the end of March 2019. I went to the location that I was sure I had saved it to. It did not show up. I opened up a separate File Explorer and searched my entire C drive and there were the file that I was...
  10. Mysterious files showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious files showing up in file explorer: Running Win 10 anniversary update on new HP all-in-one with a 256GB SSD (C*Smile and a 2TB SATA (D*Smile drive. About three weeks ago I decided to move all of my data files from C: to the D: drive leaving only OS and program files on C:. I did not permanently delete...