Windows 10: Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10

Discus and support Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A Windows 10 PC user reported noticing some odd issues with Dates & Times for some files being wrong in File Explorer. Some newly downloaded files will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 9, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10

A Windows 10 PC user reported noticing some odd issues with Dates & Times for some files being wrong in File Explorer. Some newly downloaded files will end up with Dates listed as a decade old. The Created/Modified dates in Properties of the file are correct, but it’s still showing in File Explorer as 9 years older. If you’re faced with a similar issue, you can try the solution provided in this post.

Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10 Files-showing-wrong-dates-in-File-Explorer.png

Files showing wrong dates in File Explorer

The issue is caused by the way that the Windows filing system works. It keeps track of no less than three different dates for each file on the disk drive, which are:

• The date the file was created
    • The date the file was last modified
    • The date the file was last accessed

As you can see from the image above, Windows 10 will normally show the file creation date and no matter how much or how often the file is updated, the creation date is unchanged. This is great if you actually want to see when files were created, but it does not help if you want to see which files were recently updated.

The fix is a simple one. To resolve the issue, do the following:

• Press Windows key + E to open File Explorer.
    • In the File Explorer window, right-click the Date column header – a list of the columns that can be displayed is shown. The ones that are visible have checkmarks next to them.
    • Now, uncheck the Date option to remove the column.
    • Next, right-click one of the column headers and check the Date modified option on the menu. This adds it as a new column and it will appear as the last one on the right following all the other columns.
    • Now, to get the column back to its original position, which is immediately following the Name column, you will have to click and drag and drop the Date modified column where you want it.

That’s it! Once a folder is configured to use certain settings, such as the date modified and not the date created, it remembers it and uses it whenever that folder is viewed.

Read: Windows 10 does not remember window position and size.

Let us know if this helped you.

Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10 Files-showing-wrong-dates-in-File-Explorer.png
    This article Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Mar 9, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10 :p

Frick, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Xylee Del Win User

File Explorer Date Created and Modified not always correct

Hi,

The File Explorer may have encountered a system conflict that caused this issue. For us to start with initial troubleshooting, we'd like to know more information, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • In File Explorer, what does it indicate in the Date column? Does it show Date Modified or Date Created? (right click the Date Modified section at the top, which are the ones that has a checkmark?)
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Xylee Del, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Files showing wrong

2. MOV-files with wrong date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MOV-files with wrong date: When I download files from iCloud on my windows computer to store in my file system in Windows, the MOW files always get wrong date and time. They get the time and date from the time I move them from iCloud. What is wrong?...
  3. MOV-files with wrong date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MOV-files with wrong date: When I download files from iCloud on my windows computer to store in my file system in Windows, the MOW files always get wrong date and time. They get the time and date from the time I move them from iCloud. What is wrong?...
  4. MOV-files with wrong date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10

Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10: I noticed that Quick access is showing the wrong "date modified" timestamps, as you can see in this picture:when I right-click the file > Properties, date modified shows the correct timestamp.Why does Quick Access show the wrong timestamp? "25/02/2022"...it should be...
  6. Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10: I noticed that Quick access is showing the wrong "date modified" timestamps, as you can see in this picture:when I right-click the file > Properties, date modified shows the correct timestamp.Why does Quick Access show the wrong timestamp? "25/02/2022"...it should be...
  7. Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer shows wrong folder size

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer shows wrong folder size: Recently I noticed that in File Explorer when I right click on a folder and click Properties, the folder size is sometimes shown much smaller than the correct size. For example, in File Explorer, Documents shows as 30 MB (repeat 30 MB), while in Tree Size Free the correct...
  9. Wrong File date

Wrong File date: Hi, I'm facing a problem with the file's date. When I download the file I found that it shows a different date than it suppose to be. When I open the file properties Dialog Box it shows the correct date, but in the file explorer the data is wrong. Please see the below...
  10. Update & Security Windows show wrong DATE

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update & Security Windows show wrong DATE: Running Win 10 Insider build 14279, 64 bit. My "Update & Security" shows wrong date. This usually happens after a cold boot. The date in the tray is correct. [img] 44165