Windows 10: Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash

Discus and support Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All of a sudden when I create a file on my desktop or I download or copy a file to my desktop and then later decide to delete it, the icon and the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hbfreedom, Sep 29, 2020.

1. hbfreedom Win User

Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash

All of a sudden when I create a file on my desktop or I download or copy a file to my desktop and then later decide to delete it, the icon and the file stays on my desktop i.e., I can still open it without having to restore from trash and I can't delete it. The files will only go away by themselves after I reboot. So now I'm having to repeatedly refresh my desktop while I work in order to truly delete files. So inefficient and frustrating. Is this a known bug issue and when will it be fixed? Thanks much.

:)

hbfreedom, Sep 29, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Sep 29, 2020
  3. cg21315 Win User
    Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop

I've been trying to delete folders on my desktop but They won't delete. Files are deleting just fine but when I try deleting a folder, it gives me this processing tab:

Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash [​IMG]

and "completes" the deletion but the folder never ends up getting deleted. It can be opened, viewed, etc. It only gets deleted when I drag the folder over to the recycling bin.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

cg21315, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash

Woke up this morning and I am unable to drag and drop, on my desktop or in Office365 (Outlook) Windows 10

Hi Lance,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• When you say, "drag files from my desktop to the trash folder and it stays on desktop" what exactly are you referring to?
    • Have you made any changes to the system prior to this issue?

Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash

1. Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash - Similar Threads - Files stay desktop

2. Files are dragged and dropped and the original stays in the source folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files are dragged and dropped and the original stays in the source folder: I recently placed a new hard drive on my computer. The C: drive failed. I have another drive D: where all of my personal files are kept.Now, I have the files that stay in the downloads folder when dragged and dropped.Example: Downloads folder in C:Nissan.PDF is then dragged...
  3. Access to google excel files after deleting them from the trash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access to google excel files after deleting them from the trash: Access to google excel files after deleting them from the trash https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-google-excel-files-after-deleting-them/7304ee3a-b7a9-4738-acbb-279afd1e8d58
  4. Dragging files to desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dragging files to desktop: I recently did a clean install of Windows 10. I'm using three monitors and before I did this clean install, I could keep my browser window open on the middle monitor, drag a file or picture to the desktop on the right monitor, and it'd place the file where I wanted wherever...
  5. Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder): Ok, so I'm by no means a tech luddite, but this one has me stumped even after trawling some forums. When I delete "some" icons from my desktop the icon does not actually disappear. It stays there on my desktop but is no longer active. I cannot click on it or interact with it...
  6. Trash deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trash deleted: Previously when I tried to delete messages from my phone phone is new for me so I learn a lot from trial & error--had very old phone before!! it would delete them on my phone but never carried thru to my laptop. So when I got the suggestion on my phone to delete trash to make...
  7. How to automatically delete file after drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to automatically delete file after drag and drop: Hi, how can I change the settings of a particular folder so that when I drag files out of it, the file will automatically delete from this folder (because it's already in the new folder and I don't need it in this one anymore? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!...
  8. Recover name of deleted files of trash

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recover name of deleted files of trash: Hello i make a mistake and delete my folder of music's (.wav .aiff .flac) I don't need the files, just the titles and name of the files that i delete. I use EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and he bring just 2 titles from "the other files" folder. I acess the Event view but i...
  9. Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop: I've been trying to delete folders on my desktop but They won't delete. Files are deleting just fine but when I try deleting a folder, it gives me this processing tab: [img] and "completes" the deletion but the folder never ends up getting deleted. It can be opened,...
  10. Delete desktop item but the icon stays

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete desktop item but the icon stays: Just that. I have several short cuts on the desktop, some of which are downloads. Once I have finished with the shortcut I delete it (I'm asked to confirm deletion) but the icon is still there. If I then try to delete it again I'm told that it doesn't exist or has moved....