Windows 10: Files stay on desktop after I move them

Discus and support Files stay on desktop after I move them in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Yesterday I could move a file into another folder and it would vanish from the desktop when it went into the folder. Cool. This is the way it has done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JimBrown 099, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Files stay on desktop after I move them

Yesterday I could move a file into another folder and it would vanish from the desktop when it went into the folder. Cool. This is the way it has done since I first used a computer 30 years ago.

Now, it stays on the desk top and I have to delete it separately.

This is making me crazy.

Clues: I create a new folder on my desk top and it does fine. I move it to my documents or music or what ever and it does not.

I went to a back up drive and move it and it still messed up.

It has to be a a setting somewhere that got changed.

Please help me!

:)

JimBrown 099, Apr 13, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Apr 13, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Apr 13, 2020
  4. Files stay on desktop after I move them

Windows 10 missing desktop files

Hi Adriane,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

• Did you do a clean installation of Windows or upgrade to Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can find your desktop files.

• Open This PC.
    • Double click on C: drive.
    • Open Users > double click on your user name.
    • Open Desktop and check if you can find missing files.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Apr 13, 2020
Thema:

Files stay on desktop after I move them

1. Files stay on desktop after I move them - Similar Threads - Files stay desktop

2. Why are desktop shortcuts malfunctioning and I can't move them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are desktop shortcuts malfunctioning and I can't move them?: Have a look at this video:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UlqqirGeo6AV7zWSuqIQj9fXcon5nwNM/view?usp=sharingI think that shortcuts of software and folder have been assigned particular space on desktop and we can't move them out of that space. Is it so?I am able to move...
  3. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons not staying where I want them: Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped in a particular way - for example, all Word icons to be together, all Excel icons together, a Citrix icon on the top right of...
  4. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons not staying where I want them: Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped in a particular way - for example, all Word icons to be together, all Excel icons together, a Citrix icon on the top right of...
  5. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot: Hey my desktop shortcut and files are moving in a certain position(not sorted by any means, seems arbitrarily, but everytime the same position) and its driving me crazy. I already searched and found many thread on multiple sites, but nothing helped me. As far as I can tell I...
  7. Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash: All of a sudden when I create a file on my desktop or I download or copy a file to my desktop and then later decide to delete it, the icon and the file stays on my desktop i.e., I can still open it without having to restore from trash and I can't delete it. The files will...
  8. Desktop icons moved to the left side all by themselves and I can't move them where I want them

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons moved to the left side all by themselves and I can't move them where I want them: How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-moved-to-the-left-side-all-by/a6406f14-6c26-4387-b48e-4ea55c5eb732
  9. Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them: I like to position all my desktop icons in a custom order, but since I took my PC into the Geeks to remove a suspected virus, my desktop icons keep returning to default positions upon restart or refresh. I've experimented with unchecking grid and align options, and even...
  10. Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.: This started after I did a refresh installation. While many of the icons remain where they are, some of them refuse to stay put when I move them. They spring to another position. What might be causing this bizarre behaviour? 95380