Windows 10: Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open

Discus and support Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using 2 laptops running windows 10 pro build 10240. I save my files (MS Word & Excel) directly on a Seagate External USB Drive (2 TB) which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PMehta, Sep 14, 2017.

1. PMehta Win User

Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open

I am using 2 laptops running windows 10 pro build 10240. I save my files (MS Word & Excel) directly on a Seagate External USB Drive (2 TB) which is named "M Drive" using Disk Manager.
    Files which are saved to the external hdd from 1 laptop randomly disappear when the external HDD is connected to the 2nd laptop. Sometimes the files remain but show missing properties 0 KB and do not open on the 2nd laptop (they open on the 1st laptop after saving directly to the external hdd)
    Assuming this may be an issue with the external HDD I purchased a new one but the problem continues.
    This problem did not exist when I was using both laptops running windows 7 pro and has started only after I started using windows 10 pro. The external hdd has been formatted ntfs and all files are stored in a folder of the external hdd named "documents".

:)

PMehta, Sep 14, 2017
  2. cggeeg Win User

File Explorer

Hi, since upgrading to win10 pro file explorer randomly and frequently opens 2 windows, always the 2 partitions, I: & J: on an external HDD. Whilst they are opening the keyboard is disabled. Very annoying. Can you help please.

cggeeg, Sep 14, 2017
  3. File Explorer opens to external HDD randomly

Hello,

This issue might have occurred due to the conflicts of third party applications or start up items.

As an initial troubleshooting, I suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps.

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode with networking and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. It can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC. For example, if the problem doesn't happen in safe mode, you'll know default settings and basic device drivers aren't
    causing the issue.

There are two versions of safe mode: Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking. They're quite similar, but
    Safe Mode with Networking includes the network drivers and services you'll need to access the Internet and other computers on your network.

Refer, Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If the issue does not exist, try to clean boot the system.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Kindly get back to us with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 14, 2017
  4. PMehta Win User

Disabling antivirus usb drive boot sector scan and heuristic scan solved the problem

PMehta, Sep 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open - Similar Threads - Files stored External

2. External USB HDD and file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External USB HDD and file history: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  3. Windows 10 on external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 on external USB HDD: is it possible to put windows 10 on an external USB HDD? if so, how? if not, bummer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-external-usb-hdd/9c115056-c5dc-4836-b9c8-0b604f83159a
  4. USB external HDD no longer working

USB external HDD no longer working: Greetings: I have an old external HDD enclosure (Mad Dog) that shows up as "Unspecified" under Devices and Printers. This drive was working just fine several months ago. I basically just use it as a backup for my music library, so I do access it very often. I lost a good...
  5. External USB HDD going to sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External USB HDD going to sleep mode: I don't understand why Microsoft refuses to address this problem in Windows 10. It's an old problem and all the answers from Microsoft are vague and send us around things that people have already tried and it does not solve the problem. Just look at the blogs of the...
  6. External USB HDD windows file system problem

External USB HDD windows file system problem: I have a 2TB (=1.81TB) external USB HDD 'My Passport' on my laptop running latest Windows 10 I format it, and it shows 1.81TB free. I copy over 1.37TB of files in four folders. When the copy finishes, I select all 4 folders, rt-click, properties and it correctly shows...
  7. USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue

USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue: Hey guys, I have an issue specific to my USB 3.0 ports, and its interaction with my external HDD(E-HDD). Whenever I plug in my USB 3.0 capable E-HDD, the computer recognises the drive for a few seconds and then disconnects. This keeps happening while the the E-HDD is still...
  8. External HDD disappears after a few minutes

External HDD disappears after a few minutes: Good afternoon all, One of my external HDD's disappears after a few minutes; this only started happening since I upgraded to Windows 10. It will show up again after unplugging and plugging it in again, but again only for a few minutes. Here is what I have done so...
  9. Help required, enabling an external USB HDD.

Help required, enabling an external USB HDD.: Hello, My wife is currently using build 10130, and is trying to use her SATA HDD (which was her 2nd HDD) externally, with a SATA to USB adapter. However, on plugging the HDD in, all that shows as new in Devices and Printers is the following "USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge". The...
  10. External USB HDD not disconnecting properly

External USB HDD not disconnecting properly: In W10.1607 x86 when I eject a External USB HDD, it does not Power Down, I mean the Eject Procedure is not being totally finished. The Safe to Eject message appears but the light on HDD stays on and if I pull it out I can listen the Motor spinning down. That is it not good,...