Windows 10: Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open

Discus and support Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using 2 laptops running windows 10 pro build 10240. I save my files (MS Word & Excel) directly on a Seagate External USB Drive (2 TB) which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PMehta, Sep 14, 2017.

1. PMehta Win User

Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open

I am using 2 laptops running windows 10 pro build 10240. I save my files (MS Word & Excel) directly on a Seagate External USB Drive (2 TB) which is named "M Drive" using Disk Manager.
    Files which are saved to the external hdd from 1 laptop randomly disappear when the external HDD is connected to the 2nd laptop. Sometimes the files remain but show missing properties 0 KB and do not open on the 2nd laptop (they open on the 1st laptop after saving directly to the external hdd)
    Assuming this may be an issue with the external HDD I purchased a new one but the problem continues.
    This problem did not exist when I was using both laptops running windows 7 pro and has started only after I started using windows 10 pro. The external hdd has been formatted ntfs and all files are stored in a folder of the external hdd named "documents".

:)

PMehta, Sep 14, 2017
  2. cggeeg Win User

File Explorer

Hi, since upgrading to win10 pro file explorer randomly and frequently opens 2 windows, always the 2 partitions, I: & J: on an external HDD. Whilst they are opening the keyboard is disabled. Very annoying. Can you help please.

cggeeg, Sep 14, 2017
  3. File Explorer opens to external HDD randomly

Hello,

This issue might have occurred due to the conflicts of third party applications or start up items.

As an initial troubleshooting, I suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps.

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode with networking and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. It can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC. For example, if the problem doesn't happen in safe mode, you'll know default settings and basic device drivers aren't
    causing the issue.

There are two versions of safe mode: Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking. They're quite similar, but
    Safe Mode with Networking includes the network drivers and services you'll need to access the Internet and other computers on your network.

Refer, Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If the issue does not exist, try to clean boot the system.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Kindly get back to us with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 14, 2017
  4. PMehta Win User

Disabling antivirus usb drive boot sector scan and heuristic scan solved the problem

PMehta, Sep 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Files stored in External USB HDD randomly disappear or do not open - Similar Threads - Files stored External

2. external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...: Can you help...?===1Have Problem: RAW & 0 bytes --- external HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFSThis external USB HDD was in a PC, but when I have it plugin for the first time on other PCs has appeared as: RAW & 0 bytes===2afterapplied from cmd prompt as admin:chkdsk /f...
  3. external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...: Can you help...?===1Have Problem: RAW & 0 bytes --- external HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFSThis external USB HDD was in a PC, but when I have it plugin for the first time on other PCs has appeared as: RAW & 0 bytes===2afterapplied from cmd prompt as admin:chkdsk /f...
  4. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly: Out of no where, my HDD has started disconnecting itself a few minutes after it is plugged and requires me to manually turn the external drive on and off if I want to use it again.What i've triedRestarting my PCNot using the HDD under stressful conditions and using better...
  5. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly: Out of no where, my HDD has started disconnecting itself a few minutes after it is plugged and requires me to manually turn the external drive on and off if I want to use it again.What i've triedRestarting my PCNot using the HDD under stressful conditions and using better...
  6. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  8. File explorer stalls when opening due to external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer stalls when opening due to external USB HDD: I have a couple of external USB HDD's connected to my PC. One in particular, a WD MyBook, seems to cause Windows File Explorer to hang temporarily when opened, even if I'm not accessing the USB drive. WIN+E opens WFE to My Computer, but it hangs until the USB drive spins up....
  9. External USB HDD and file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External USB HDD and file history: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  10. External USB HDD windows file system problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB HDD windows file system problem: I have a 2TB (=1.81TB) external USB HDD 'My Passport' on my laptop running latest Windows 10 I format it, and it shows 1.81TB free. I copy over 1.37TB of files in four folders. When the copy finishes, I select all 4 folders, rt-click, properties and it correctly shows...