Windows 10: Files stuck in read only

Discus and support Files stuck in read only in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ive tried everything to set my file to not read only and nothing works. ive tried setting permissions and that didnt work. the last thing i can think... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NoahF.1, May 19, 2019.

1. NoahF.1 Win User

Files stuck in read only

Ive tried everything to set my file to not read only and nothing works. ive tried setting permissions and that didnt work. the last thing i can think of is to reinstall win 10. any ideas on how to fix this?

:)

NoahF.1, May 19, 2019

2. Files stuck as "read Only"

I too had this problem except that EVERY file folder was effected. but have I fixed it I think. I too was the designated administrator so I understand how frustrated you are

there is a thread named Windows 10 attributes. where I detailed my steps. (sorry my ipad doesn't show me the exact address. so I cannot paste a link to it. )

in short

step 1. make yourself the administrator

step 2. give your administrator full control "permissions" to read/write files. this is not automatic when you make yourself an administrator (I thought it should be and spent many hours tinkering frustrated only to discover but its not automatic
    but instead a whole other step you must do)

step 3 unmark the "read only" box and apply the changes. If you get a box that tells you you need admin rights. click continue. and you will see it change the folders. if it doesn't and you can click okay right away then you need to repeat step 2
    and 3

In another thread someone said the marked read only attribute is a red herring but I could not save any files until I did step 3

I did not disable OneDrive as some have suggested. I have files on there I need to backup elsewhere. and I wasn't sure if disabling OneDrive would have any effect on those files.

look for the brilliant tech Shawn's steps. his steps are shorter than mine. I am currently trying to find that post again.... i have misplaced it in a sea of folders/storage issues

good luck with this Very Frustrating issue.

DeborahNelson_621, May 19, 2019
  3. Problem with 4500MHD to read Sony .mts files

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Which player are you using?
    • Did you try to play the same video's using different player?
    I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1:

Install all the Windows updates including optional updates and check if it works.

Step 2:

I would suggest you to update the video driver from the device manager and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X and select device manager.
    • Expand display adapter and right click on installed driver and click on update.
    Step 3:
    If doesn't work, I would suggest you to install the latest available drivers on manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check.

Follow the steps below on how to install driver in compatibility mode:

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

ThofikhAhamad, May 19, 2019
  4. Marie Ave Win User

Files stuck in read only

Remove read only from files

Hi,

Read-only is a file attribute, or a characteristic that the operating system assigns to a file. Files can be only opened or read with this attribute active. You cannot delete, change, or rename any file that’s been flagged as read-only.

To change the read-only attribute, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the file or folder icon that you wanted to modify.

• Remove the check mark by the Read-Only item in the file’s
      Properties
      dialog box.

The attributes are found at the bottom of the General tab.

• Click Apply then OK.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Marie Ave, May 19, 2019
Thema:

Files stuck in read only

1. Files stuck in read only - Similar Threads - Files stuck read

2. All files stuck in read only mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All files stuck in read only mode: Recently enountered a problem where all my files are stuck in read only, so far I have:- Made sure I have permissions to edit folders through the security tab of properties- Unchecked read-only after pressing accept and reopening properties it immediately reverts back to read...
  3. All files stuck in read only mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All files stuck in read only mode: Recently enountered a problem where all my files are stuck in read only, so far I have:- Made sure I have permissions to edit folders through the security tab of properties- Unchecked read-only after pressing accept and reopening properties it immediately reverts back to read...
  4. All files stuck in read only mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Folders stuck on Read Only.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folders stuck on Read Only.: So I recently downloaded a game to play, and added mods for a better experience. However upon running the game, none of the mods worked. After some digging I found out it's due to the folders constantly reverting back to "read only". I've attempted to follow a couple of...
  6. Folders stuck on Read Only.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folders stuck on Read Only.: So I recently downloaded a game to play, and added mods for a better experience. However upon running the game, none of the mods worked. After some digging I found out it's due to the folders constantly reverting back to "read only". I've attempted to follow a couple of...
  7. All my files are stuck on read-only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my files are stuck on read-only: There is no way for me to change the attribute of my files that are in read-only mode. Here's the kicker: It was working absolutely fine, I changed absolutely nothing at all, and the next day I log in and all the files are locked. I am the admin in my computer, and also the...
  8. Read only stuck

Read only stuck: Hello I have an issue tgat all folders are read only now at all drives, i tried to remove it using mant ways from remove the mark by mouse , ir use attrib command but each time i found that read only is appearing again . Also i checked the permission where i have tge full...
  9. Files stuck in read only

Files stuck in read only: I have recently found files that I intentionally set to read only are not able to be changed back to turn the read only setting off. I have tried to change user privileges on Windows defender as I read that could be the source of the problem after updates. The read only box...
  10. Stuck in Read Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in Read Only: After updating to Windows 10 I created a homegroup and now everything in documents is stuck in read only. It's the filled in box not the checked box. I manually uncheck the read only and it goes right back to read only. I left home group and tried unsharing folders but no...