Windows 10: files vanished after recent windows 10 update

Discus and support files vanished after recent windows 10 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hello to all! I was recently prompted by windows to proceed an update to windows 10. after I did that, all my files and some apps disappeared. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by papaglover, Sep 10, 2020.

1. files vanished after recent windows 10 update

hello to all! I was recently prompted by windows to proceed an update to windows 10. after I did that, all my files and some apps disappeared. I noticed that I have several "desktops" when I had to restart entirely chrome. what should I do to get back to a normal use of my computer? thank you!

:)

papaglover, Sep 10, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 10, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 10, 2020
  4. files vanished after recent windows 10 update

eidairaman1, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

files vanished after recent windows 10 update

1. files vanished after recent windows 10 update - Similar Threads - files vanished recent

2. Vanishing Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vanishing Files: HiI have a brand-new, one month old, Dell laptop with Windows 11 Home Single Language OS. Whenever I want to install an app like VLC player, zoom, Adobe reader, HP printer, a new browser, etc. etc., I first download the application file in a folder named "downloads" in a...
  3. Files vanished

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files vanished: I updated to windows 11 a month ago and all was fine, 2 weeks plus ago was when i last used my laptop, all files were still intact by then and i shut it down until today where i turned it on and found 90 percent of my files vanished, they are very important to me as they are...
  4. Branching Tree in File Explorer Vanished After Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Branching Tree in File Explorer Vanished After Update: Windows 10 updated itself last night when I shut down my laptop, and now this morning in version 1909, the Windows File Explorer display is behaving differently. It used to show me a branching tree, like an outline, with folders, sub-folders, and sub-sub-folders, etc. all...
  5. Profile vanished after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Profile vanished after update: My desktop installed an update recently and as it's a work computer I hadn't started the machine since. Today, I boot it up and my entire profile is missing. I can log in with the same code, but all my apps, settings, wallpaper everything is gone from the machine. I've not...
  6. User profile vanished after recent update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User profile vanished after recent update: Hello, today I updated to Win10 build 19041.630 and suddenly, my user account won't show up on the log-in screen. Some quick facts: -I have a seperate admin account I can still use -My user folder and files still exist -My former account's SID is still listed in the...
  7. Vanishing pointer after updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Vanishing pointer after updates: This problem started maybe a month and a half ago with an update. After I reset my computer, the mouse pointer essentially vanished. It would flicker occasionally, and I could still use the mouse (touchpad and usb mouse) to click on things, but barring an occasional flicker...
  8. File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10: Since a recent update use of File Explorer has become almost impossible - this is normally met with the words 'File Explorer is not responding'. This can occur when taking almost any action e.g. When highlighting even two files to copy them to USB. When trying to launch...
  9. Files deleted after the most recent Windows 10 update

Files deleted after the most recent Windows 10 update: Windows 10 did an automatic update after my last shutdown. When I turned the computer back on I discovered that the desktop had changed, apps I used were gone, downloads are gone, and a very significant amount of documents (days of work) are gone. It looks as if I did a total...
  10. lost files after most recent Windows 10 update

lost files after most recent Windows 10 update: have lost two personal files with most recent Windows 10 update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-files-after-most-recent-windows-10-update/c4b0138b-63c6-463f-b435-4c12035e1a67"